Does a historic landmark automatically make metal detecting a no-no?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing some research looking for an interesting place to go metal detecting in my area, and almost every place I find, seems to have had a historic monument constructed on it with in the last 10 years or so.
Does this monument, pretty much shut out the metal detecting hobbyist? If so, it is rather disturbing, since there are places here that are just locations of camps and such during the founding of the area, and now made off limits.

Kind of ironic that the monuments look like large headstone since they killed my hopes, and most likely buried some pretty cool stuff there forever.

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that if you give a phone call the Breau of land management about the area of BLM land, they will let you know if it is ok. I called BLM after I was told by a ranger that I was on the border of Whiskeytown and needed to go about a mile North of that area to be on BLM land. The Ranger told me a "Day use pass" was required but I mentioned there was no "Day use fee" sign posted. He told me he knew that and only gave me a warning about parking but stressed the point of "No Metal Detecting of Whiskeytown" which is a state park.
My son & I were walking to our car and leaving as I had a metal detector in my hand. Having it did not prompt him to take it or fine me. I found French Gulch is a Historic Town BUT The hills and creek are BLM land and the BML Office person told me it is "Open Land" and I CAN Metal Detect there in the creeks and old mine tailings/wash out areas of where the miners set their sluces. I am happy about that and there are a lot of places to check out as well as some caves, the chinese water ditch and nearby areas. Bottom line, the BLM people are very nice if you phone them and will help answer any questions about their land they manage from my contact experience. By the way, ask for who you are talking to and write their name down for a record. If any Ranger problems it will hold up in court the fact you were advised it is OK to be on "Open" BLM land detecting with back up proof which will hold up in court. I don't think Rangers will hastle you on "Open BLM Land". Good luck

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No!
Check out this video on YouTube:

Adrian

Unfortunately these are popular digging areas for detectorits....& not much left to dig. But ya never know! Good luck bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread