Lofreco

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2011
Cumming, GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark and Compadre Metal Detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got the new AW-2200 Long Life Lithium Ion battery for All Whites Metal Detectors such as the TDI, MXT, etc.. Have it in my TDI SL. It has doubled the factory battery life! And it weighs much less. Recharges quickly, and does not lose life on the shelf.

Mine is from Larry Manger at Big Valley Metal Detectors in Citrus Heights, CA. Near Sacramento.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John

Upvote 0

xQuestx

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this battery for the v3i, works well over 20+ hours.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a whites xlt and it uses a battery pack recharble is that what you are talking about or just batteys to go in a battery pack Suprdave

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a special charger for the Li ION recharge batteries or can one for Nimh or Nicad batteries work.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A special charger is needed and though there's no problems with small lithiums used in phones and cameras there's rules based on the lithium content that restricts the transport on aircraft. Very large (bigger than metal detector packs) are not allowed at all.

Though there's apparantly no memory effect they will show "memory effect" which is in fact the cell starting to lose capacity which can start to happen from one year of age. As they are the least safe type of battery they have lots of inbuilt safety devices such as a protection circuit which is a type of electronic fuse, a vent/vents for pressure relief, a thermal interrupt (against overcharging) and a shut down seperator to deal with overheating. Should any of these operate then the battery is finished.

The TDI and TDI Pro have them as standard and I wish they used anything else because they are a pain when you travel and the battery life is not that good. New I would get 7 hours 40 minutes on average. In less than a year one battery averages 7 hrs 20 mins. the other 6 hrs 45. Replacements are around $160 each which is not exactly cheap !

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the battery "Upgrade" info. My Whites Goldmaster GMT claims to have a 40 hour battery use on the alkali type. My question is the cost for the upgrade rechargeable you mention. Thanks.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question. I pay about $4 for four alkalines vs. $40 for LiPoly and a charger. At 40 hrs with the alkalines the payback would be 3 years or so. How long do the LiPoly's last?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread