beginner question

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that is basically correct. You are listening for signals that repeat from every direction. There are exceptions, for instance, if you are searching a real old site where there is little modern trash you need to dig just about every signal you get. Jewelry is another target that might not repeat from every direction. Go ahead and dig those signals just to see what they are until you learn your machine. Good luck, Tom

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is also a big difference between an "iffy" tone in a city park with a lot of trash and an iffy tone along an old path or field. In some areas I dig everything. In others only sweet signals.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggestion... swing back and forth THEN turn 90 degrees to the target and swing again. Don't just push the coil away and back to call that 90 degrees. Actually step over to get a 90 degree turn. If you get good solid, repeatable, signals, dig! TTC

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vabuckhunter said:
Am i correct in saying that i should only dig repeating tones back and forth and not the tones that only sing out in one direction?
For the most part yes! Try to get a repeatable audio, not#. Audio is much more important.

Your on the right track. Feel free to call me with any questions! Love to help you! Bart.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have mentioned in my first post that good targets that are buried near a piece if trash will cuase you to get erratic signals. One good thing you can do is find a small metal free area in your yard or a local tot lot and bury different coins about 3 to 5'' deep near a pulltab or a rusty nail. Bury a gold ring if you have one. See how many directions you can swing your coil and still get a good 'dig me' signal. Experiment and dig those 'iffy' signals. Experiment with your discrimination settings. This is how I learn my machines. Good luck, Tom

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Suggestion... swing back and forth THEN turn 90 degrees to the target and swing again. Don't just push the coil away and back to call that 90 degrees. Actually step over to get a 90 degree turn. If you get good solid, repeatable, signals, dig! TTC
Terry is right. If you are using a DD coil you will have to turn 90 degrees while with a concentric you won't. Coins on edge might give a double beep also. You are going to have to dig everything for while to learn your detector.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many, many, many, many, many times I have had good hits in only one direction, and being a coin. It all depends on the angle of the coin, the depth, what else is in the detection area, etc. Dig it all untill you understand the detectors language.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread