Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
Most newcomers will turn into a pain in the butt as they would only be interested in a profit.
Sandman said it all......... Like i said it will not be good for us............ It will only be good for the dealers...........

That would imply that all dealers are in it for the money only, I for one would rather not sell another detector than suddenly have myself or my customers go to their normal stomping grounds, only to be greeted by a rash of people swinging away. As a dealer it is great to be able to set up a newbie and help them get going correctly.

Unfortunately these shows will no doubt be the source of knowledge for hobby newbies and they won't take the time to learn properly, and ignore advice that involves "it's not about getting rich".

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
I could buy 30 acre field and a bag full of mexican pennies and charge admission by appointment to my field. 30 dollars an hour. Call it an old spanish fort area. LOL Probably secure myself a spot in h e l l for that one.

Or in politics....

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No politics are not for me I would overthrow the current regime for the sake of saving all of us.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I consider myself extremely new to this hobby. I became interested in detecting because of a man that I had met. He had access to pieces of land to hunt, that always seemed to produce mini balls, a few gold coins, some coins that I had never heard of. I can't remember how many buttons he had shown me over a 3 year period, and he would also tell me the value of everything he showed me. One day he and his wife showed me a piece of metal that they weren't sure what it was. It appeared to be brass, and ir's shape reminded me of a piece of a bridle. To me, this was better than anything else he had shown me. This is what I'm addicted to.
In the past 3 years, Ive found about 1300.00 in change, nothing special, but I have found an axe heat that has been blown apart, some kind of animal bone, and something that reminds me if a stone pot holder. In my mind, this is what it;s all about.

If I can ever master where to research stuff, one day I may actually find something worthy of posting.

Please keep posting YOUR finds, so I may find them vicariously through ya'll,

Best of luck
Bill

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill from the sounds of how you speak you call yourself new. Your not your just like the rest of us learning everyday. I think you know what to look for just lacking a little confidence in yourself. Other than that I would listen to whatever you have to say I think we could probably learn something. My question is about the new guys who know nothing who are gonna go out there with nothing but themselves in mind with no concern of anyone or anything.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would any one have a link to this show? American Diggers?
I searched the National Geographic web site but cant seem to find it.
I looked for it at Spike TV Whats Up.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bumpstick said:

No link, but they were on Nat Geo channel.
With any luck they have been burned, blown up and buried, never to be seen again...

But probably not.
Check the listings in a couple of weeks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumpstick said:

there are 2 different

Diggers & American Diggers

depends on which your looking for

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people are going to make the mistake and run out and buy what there using..and not be happy and walk away from the hole deal.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look at the guys website for the ones out in Montana or something. Have to buy something to become a member. Have not watched the show but from hearing everybody's opinion on it I am glad I didnt. Maybe a lot of people will not watch because its boring.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my oppinion: The American Diggers show may be a better show in my eyes than American Pickers, the show that shows savy/pawn/businessmen dragging down value of collectables with their tounge and turn right around and jack up the price and laugh about their score on the TV show. I am glad the prople who sold are not present when they find they have lost much $$$ as well as the collection treasure piece that had been in the family for years.(I could never see myself doing that.)
So I am sayin, hold on to finds and get your treasure finds checked out for actual value by a professional, who knows you might be sitting on something rare. Peace.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm hoping a lot of newbies decide that they are going to go out and buy an E-Trac, get frustrated, give up, and then flood the market with lightly used machines for a great price. The dealers will do nicely with the first round of sales and the hunters will do nicely picking up good machines for much less than usual.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just know the Archies are going to use this program against detectorist everywhere because we are thier competion. The clad coin you pick up today will in fact be tomorrows artifact to them in the future. How dumb is that?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's already one on the board wanting to be just like them and "make $1000 for a site just like they did".

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that us here on Tnet need to educate the newcomer and instill the code of ethicts of detectoring. That way the word gets around on being responsible while out in the neighborhood.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
There's already one on the board wanting to be just like them and "make $1000 for a site just like they did".

I haven't seen that post yet. Would love to find it. I agree we should educate but are we educate the how to find it while they still continue the unethical. How do you tell and would you except responsibility?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's like trying to raise your kids. You try and set examples and explain to them the "ethics" ; and hope for the best. If they really want to enjoy the hobby, they need to be responsible for their actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions