New hobbyist because of tv show?

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all for welcoming new people to Tnet but how many new members will you think we will get? I am wondering how many will join demanding to know where they can go. Should we help? More or less the moral issue on helping those who want to be serious or the future pains in butt who just dont care.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signups seem to have slowed today

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Blue i was wondering that too and ,i was wondering if detector sales jumped today only the dealers like Bart and Mike realy know for sure about that.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most newcomers will turn into a pain in the butt as they would only be interested in a profit. Shows like National Geographic Diggers will attract lots of hunters but the show does a disservice to the hobby as the main "characters" stab trowels into the grass to dig up bullets, coins and what not without showing placing dirt on a cloth or showing how to replace the plugs. One the shows lots of emphases is placed on what the value of the item is so they can sell it. Newbies will see this and think this is acceptable. More areas might close to us. We should show newcomers how to behave by instruction and example.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably next episode Jeff. I know its good for the site but I think it will be a pain. I hear you sandman. But some might follow the example some might just fake it and go for themselves. Time will tell heard a few talking about it a local watering hole.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nah... after seeing goobers like that I think our reputation as being nerdy weirdos has been cemented. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the mass public doesn't look at us this way, they do. Why do you think mothers usher their kids away from us the way they do? Because they think we're weird. I'm one and dang proud of it.

As for New detectorists, maybe a few but when they figure it isn't as easy as Diggers made it look, most will give up.

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Considering the 'quality' of reality programming available on cable and DirectTV (Mudcats, SwampPeople, etc) last night's premier of Diggers wasn't all that bad. If it makes it at all, they should show more of the challenging types of MDing like dumps and high trash areas. I'm not sure the King and Ringmaster are up to it, but I for one will tune in to see if they can. ;D

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, being fairly new to the hobby, I remember when I came here. I learned a lot, and I don't think anyone really had to go too far out of their way to help me. I never mind sharing what I know.
As far as in some cases, you may see someone from your area, why not take them out to a park or something and show them how to use their machine a bit. If they don't like it, you are going to be the first person they talk to about getting rid of their equipment, if they do like it, you may have just found a new hunting partner, or someone to bounce research off of back and forth if you prefer to hunt alone.

Sadly you just never know which ones will be bad for the hobby, and which won't until it's too late, but pretty sure if they are here asking the right questions, then they aren't the ones we have to worry about.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bluehunter1973 said:
I am all for welcoming new people to Tnet but how many new members will you think we will get? I am wondering how many will join demanding to know where they can go. Should we help?

Sure!

Always best to start in your own yard.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you guys are saying and I understand maybe of few of us can get a deal on used equipment but my question is how you handle these people. Im sure Troy from swamp people wont take a newbie out to wrestle a gator. Sure would be fun to watch. I love that show and they do make money. Hell I spent my summers when I was a kid in Pumpkin Center Louisiana so im no stranger to a gator but common sense says not my piece of pie. Axe men its tough we arent running for axes and chainsaws. The reality shows are showing hard work that not everyone can do but any monkey can buy a detector and go swinging and try to find the mythical KGC treasures(no offense to the KGC guys thought I would slip that one in their for humor). Point is metal detecting makes everybody old or young feel they can do that and strike it rich with no effort. Not all of these people will be bad I get that some will contribute and become very helpful but some will be that pain in the butt that gets us tossed out of every construction site, playground and local park. Not much we can do about it but now I have to start damage control on my hunting spot owners to combat future nimrods.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Most newcomers will turn into a pain in the butt as they would only be interested in a profit.
Sandman said it all......... Like i said it will not be good for us............ It will only be good for the dealers...........

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope we get a ton of new people hunting here in NJ.. Unlike many, I'll gladly welcome them to the hobby.

I'll also be opening up a small concession stand just outside the beach, selling nearly expired batteries of all sizes at a premium cost. When they come back because the batteries are draining too fast, I'll explain it's the detector eating up the charge :thumbsup: Thank god we have 127 miles of shoreline so I can change my location at the drop of a hat :laughing7:

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Compass Liberty 100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight S said:
As for New detectorists, maybe a few but when they figure it isn't as easy as Diggers made it look, most will give up.

I haven't watched any MD show. So I can't speak from that point of view. I am a newbie to the sport so I can comment on that.

Years ago, I bought a metal detector. I really enjoyed it. Family, job and whatever else got in the way. I put the detector up. 20 years later, retired, looking for a hobby I knew metal detecting was it. I don't want anyone to give up their "honey hole" to me. A person should pay their "dues" plain and simple. The questions I have asked have been about detector technique. I have spent hours and hours reading previous posts. There is a gold mine of information in them. Now, what I am leading up to is that I have discovered the biggest secret of metal detecting.

"Hunt where few or no one has hunted before you."

When other newbies ask where to hunt, that is the advice I would give them! Now, to find the good places involves a lot of research. To me, that is the hard part.

Oh, I hope there are a lot of barely used top end detectors for sale next year. I should just about be ready to upgrade equipment by then.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
Most newcomers will turn into a pain in the butt as they would only be interested in a profit.
Sandman said it all......... Like i said it will not be good for us............ It will only be good for the dealers...........

So, should we be calling this website "Interesting But Relatively Worthless Junk Net" to keep us pure? :D

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
I hope we get a ton of new people hunting here in NJ.. Unlike many, I'll gladly welcome them to the hobby.

I'll also be opening up a small concession stand just outside the beach, selling nearly expired batteries of all sizes at a premium cost. When they come back because the batteries are draining too fast, I'll explain it's the detector eating up the charge :thumbsup: Thank god we have 127 miles of shoreline so I can change my location at the drop of a hat :laughing7:
That will learn them! lol

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We were all newbee's at one time or another. The "new timers", we should welcome all with patience & help them to right their course in this hobby. I have always respected older-Journeymen and I have shown respect for them to share wisdom from their experience, from this I have learned life is full of up grading. I share the wisdom I know to those who ask and will listen. Those who don't listen... That is their loss.
With this economy the way it is and is going, many will have a lot of time on their hands. For me I will starting to collect Social Security so I will be able to enjoy more time with my up-graded "New addition baby" a Whites GMT. Where I live in No. Cal jobs are tight and few, I make more realistic time researching for nugget patches.
Today we have snow, I am hitting the T-Net site now and I offer oppinions of mine to save people time and share notes of some of the defects found my other consumers. We can't save the world but we can help "New Bees" with our experience & oppinions. The enjoyment and luck depends on how they approach this hobby with the right mindset using the right tools and advice. I have faith we will have a flood of many good new members.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Spart I didnt even think of the battery thing. I thought it was the second best idea. The first was I was going to sell maps of secret sites that have not been hunted along with 4.00 bottles of water and 3.00 hotdogs. Ill have to buy a new truck to haul all my money.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973, now you see that every dark cloud does have a silver/gold lining :laughing7:

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could buy 30 acre field and a bag full of mexican pennies and charge admission by appointment to my field. 30 dollars an hour. Call it an old spanish fort area. LOL Probably secure myself a spot in h e l l for that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread