Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: How many pack a handgun when detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Guess I am surprised that anyone thinks it is a bad idea!! Shoot your eye out;- everyone carrying is evil not to be allowed. I do not get why anyone would think that you should be lunch for animals (human or not). And why is it that the evil gun is making decisions based on the situation? I thought we became emancipated to the point that the gun no longer dictated our motives?

I carry if I feel I should. I sometimes feel it is unnecessary, but it is not a decision that should be made by the government,, they are always on the wrong side nowadays, and they will never be there when you hope they will be.

If I had to guess, when you need the protection, you can count on it being there within 3 hours of the belated call to the leo. If you are close enough!
    Slats likes this.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Know what I'm saying?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art1a 061.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	631399  
    Dan, Slats and TommNJ like this.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    549 times
    I've packed in the woods; hogs are nasty, but there are other critters that can be too. Shooting should be a basic skill; like in Switzerland.

I've had to spray a dog once while surveying (dogs usually like me, but this one liked being nasty), and it folded him right up. End of confrontation, but I'm not afraid of one dog either. A pack is different; very dangerous. I read an article years ago about a power line crew in Georgia that had to fight off a pack of dogs with axes and chain saws. Intense.

Hint: Take out the Alpha dog first. Then the Beta.
    Last edited by Bum Luck; May 01, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ó Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5157 times
    I agree if someone wants to carry , that is their prerogative.
    to me this includes the 17, 18 year olds going to school,
    or sitting on the bench at the park rolling a fat one.
    freedom should not be conditional.

However there are many out there who need a diaper after seeing a gun,
    and it will prevent you from getting some sites
    CSA2K, ryaan21 and Old River like this.

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    61 times
    Relic Hunting
    I've never metal detected in an area infested with wild hogs (although I have hunted them in Texas) or wild dogs (really??) so I can't speak to that directly. But I can say that a few of these posts make this lifetime NRA member a little.. uneasy..
    calisdad and Gunrunner61 like this.
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    65 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CSA2K View Post
    I've never metal detected in an area infested with wild hogs (although I have hunted them in Texas) or wild dogs (really??) so I can't speak to that directly. But I can say that a few of these posts make this lifetime NRA member a little.. uneasy..
    Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    61 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire View Post
    Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.
    So glad you made it back!!! Any banner finds to show for the experience?
    ryaan21 likes this.
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

LM
    do
    I like finding stuff

Dec 2007
    Chicago
    Charts and Maps.
    107 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Know what I'm saying?
    Yeah. I know you're contributing to the hysteria by calling them 'assault rifles'.

Granted, a certain Walter Mitty'ish sort who owns them actually gets off on that terminology, but it was created by anti rights people as a lame scare tactic. Using their terminology legitimizes it, which is unfortunate since it's totally, totally illegitimate.
    "There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure..." - Twain

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    65 times
    Metal Detecting
    I could never really see the need for assault-weapons. I don't know of one serious hunter that uses one for that purpose.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    Jan 2008
    Sidney, NY
    Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer
    16 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never gave it much thought !! Maybe I should be concerned about people in the woods carrying guns and feeling threaten. Not only the second amendment rights gives you the right to carry a gun but it gives you brains too. I do stay out the woods during hunting season.

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    1437 times
    I am perplexed coin hunter, I happen on people with guns often enough,, Most are concealed carry and many times you can spot it on them. But I have never been afraid the gun was going to become self aware and hunt me down. Why does that bother you?

And if you detect during hunting season wear orange. But I avoid woods where I have not been invited anyway. Brains kinda thing.
    Bum Luck likes this.

ca
    Sep 2011
    Ottawa
    AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    I carry if I feel I should. I sometimes feel it is unnecessary, but it is not a decision that should be made by the government,, they are always on the wrong side nowadays, and they will never be there when you hope they will be.
    So people can't be trusted to elect a good government, but people can be trusted to carry loaded weapons around 24/7? ......

This thread makes me SO happy to live in a safe country where paranoia and violence-fantasies aren't considered virtues.

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    1437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Graddick View Post
    So people can't be trusted to elect a good government, but people can be trusted to carry loaded weapons around 24/7? ......

This thread makes me SO happy to live in a safe country where paranoia and violence-fantasies aren't considered virtues.
    Actually, your fantasies and paranoid thoughts of loss of control are making you think you are safe.
    I am so glad you live over there too! It is much easier to deal with people who are self reliant.

Since you have no historic knowledge I will simply tell you that the right to protect oneself is a human right outlined in our founding documents. It is the reason you have no problems with invasions in your country.
    Last edited by Dave44; May 01, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

ca
    Mar 2011
    nova scotia
    teknetics
    10 times
    love to be able to but here in canada they don't like handguns so much.the only thing a person would need it for here is critters

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    1437 times
    Surely you gents are not that near sighted. Are you trying to goad me into taking 3 minutes and find examples of heinous crimes in the great white north? Not gonna happen, because I don't care enough. As long as you are blind you should not belittle our laws.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors