OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never metal detected in an area infested with wild hogs (although I have hunted them in Texas) or wild dogs (really??) so I can't speak to that directly. But I can say that a few of these posts make this lifetime NRA member a little.. uneasy..

Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.

So glad you made it back!!! Any banner finds to show for the experience?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Know what I'm saying?

Yeah. I know you're contributing to the hysteria by calling them 'assault rifles'.

Granted, a certain Walter Mitty'ish sort who owns them actually gets off on that terminology, but it was created by anti rights people as a lame scare tactic. Using their terminology legitimizes it, which is unfortunate since it's totally, totally illegitimate.

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could never really see the need for assault-weapons. I don't know of one serious hunter that uses one for that purpose.

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never gave it much thought !! Maybe I should be concerned about people in the woods carrying guns and feeling threaten. Not only the second amendment rights gives you the right to carry a gun but it gives you brains too. I do stay out the woods during hunting season.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am perplexed coin hunter, I happen on people with guns often enough,, Most are concealed carry and many times you can spot it on them. But I have never been afraid the gun was going to become self aware and hunt me down. Why does that bother you?

And if you detect during hunting season wear orange. But I avoid woods where I have not been invited anyway. Brains kinda thing.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry if I feel I should. I sometimes feel it is unnecessary, but it is not a decision that should be made by the government,, they are always on the wrong side nowadays, and they will never be there when you hope they will be.
So people can't be trusted to elect a good government, but people can be trusted to carry loaded weapons around 24/7? ......

This thread makes me SO happy to live in a safe country where paranoia and violence-fantasies aren't considered virtues.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So people can't be trusted to elect a good government, but people can be trusted to carry loaded weapons around 24/7? ......

This thread makes me SO happy to live in a safe country where paranoia and violence-fantasies aren't considered virtues.

Actually, your fantasies and paranoid thoughts of loss of control are making you think you are safe.
I am so glad you live over there too! It is much easier to deal with people who are self reliant.

Since you have no historic knowledge I will simply tell you that the right to protect oneself is a human right outlined in our founding documents. It is the reason you have no problems with invasions in your country.

Last edited:

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love to be able to but here in canada they don't like handguns so much.the only thing a person would need it for here is critters

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surely you gents are not that near sighted. Are you trying to goad me into taking 3 minutes and find examples of heinous crimes in the great white north? Not gonna happen, because I don't care enough. As long as you are blind you should not belittle our laws.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
When I am in an area that needs it I carry.
Most areas I detect are parks where they have "Dogs on leash" signs.
Of course, there are dogs running wild and owners yelling at them .
That's why I also carry a Taser. 1,000,000 volts.
Makes a neat sound that scares off loose dogs.
Grey

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now, Now... this thread was started about feral dogs, primarily. I know in some areas of California, there is a bounty on them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:occasion14:
Same here

images.jpeg

Last edited:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This subject has been cussed and discussed many many times over the years on this forum, and I guess it never gets old? If you are legally carrying a firearm, and are well versed in the use and safety precautions and possible liability for using it, then use your own judgement. I sometimes carry my .45 ACP for whatever reason but I would only pull it, point it or use it uinless circustances arose sufficient to cause me to use it. I carried a firearm much of my adult life as a law enforcement officer and it seems like it was part of my body after all that time. Now I sometimes feel naked without it! But that is special cicrcumstances. Telling someone yes or no might be considered legal advice and I douibt too many of us on Tnet are qualified to do that. Monty

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me tell you this interesting story...A few years back an American woman and her husband and his brother from Pennsylvania, came up here to Newfoundland to do some bear hunting...She was an expert shot. Anyway, she shot her husband to death, "thinking" her husband was a "bear". To make a long story short, his parents thought it was deliberate, she had a life insurance policy on her husband, and she was having an affair with his brother. She was put on trial here in Canada (Newfoundland) and wasn't even found guilty of negligent use of a firearm!!! It was a high profile case. There was even a documentary which provided evidence that was she was guilty...Our laws here are so lax. The RCMPs motto use to be "We always get our man" or woman in this case....The RCMP can't even catch a cold!! Another story, a man here in Newfoundland recently barracked himself in a house with a various assortment of rifles. The RCMP had the house "surrounded". The fugitive escaped through the back door and wasn't caught till the next day..

We may have "gun control" up here but there still are shootings and murders, though, not to the extent as there are in the US. Still I agree with Graddick and Nova Finder, it is safer up here in the Great White North and yet at the same time, to each his own whether or not someone elects to pack a weapon....I think everyone has a right to defend themselves with whatever means necessary.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper spray stops more bears than bullets?

Bears seldom attack if you have a gun. They sense fear. The guy with only the pepper spray is scared to death, is attacked and has to use it. On the other hand the guy with a gun points it at the bear, remains calm and the bear departs. Occasions when bullets have to be used are much less. This is the problem with statistics. Think, what is the agenda of the one making the ridiculous claim (anti-gun). Don't live in fear pack a gun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread