jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears seldom attack if you have a gun. They sense fear. The guy with only the pepper spray is scared to death, is attacked and has to use it. On the other hand the guy with a gun points it at the bear, remains calm and the bear departs. Occasions when bullets have to be used are much less. This is the problem with statistics. Think, what is the agenda of the one making the ridiculous claim (anti-gun). Don't live in fear pack a gun.

Well I guess it depends on what type of Bear, & whether it was actually attacking in the first place.
Most people fear bears, but here in Pa Bears fear people.

would you fear this ?

2011_0611garden0017.jpg

was at my Sisters back deck at 3 am in the morning!

Some people would have Called 911 Claiming a bear attack :dontknow:

so when Mace stops a bear attach around here it's actually just that the bear
wondered away, or heard a noise & ran :laughing7:

Glassdigger

Apr 27, 2012
Tarlton Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Sierra Madre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I legally concealed carry when I hunt in the city or out in the woods. So far no thugs have attempted to take my E-trac yet. I have been bird dogged by some punk teenaged groups of kids. I usually leave before I have to defend myself. I don't need a situation like is going on in Florida right now. I hate hunting schools because they are off limits to legal concealed carry.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't pack a gun at a city park, but I do carry in the woods alone. Just like carrying matches and a rain poncho. The Surviverman episode with the hunter demonstrated how much better survival is when you don't have to depend on snares to eat. Bullets can feed you. Try killing your dinner with a can of pepper spray. Better pack the tums.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with your right to carry a weapon. However, if you are on the ground digging with your headphones on and a thug(s) happens to jump you from behind and gets your gun, then you could be the one in trouble...Just a thought...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your right to carry a weapon. However, if you are on the ground digging with your headphones on and a thug(s) happens to jump you from behind and gets your gun, then you could be the one in trouble...Just a thought...

Wonder what would happen if he jumped on you and you had no gun for him to get? Think you might be in trouble? Another thought.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder what would happen if he jumped on you and you had no gun for him to get? Think you might be in trouble? Another thought.

In any case, in a struggle anything could happen...If he is only after your wallet he will take it..but if he sees a gun, gets his hands on it, and decides to use it...then it could be lights out...Even police officers sometimes have their own weapons turned against them...It does happen..I'm not against guns by any means, and you do have the right to protect yourself. Was just thinking about the consequences if the thug should get his hands on your weapon...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can appreciate what you are saying, but it is a straw man argument. If someone jumped you from behind you are in for a desperate struggle,, a life altering and possibly ending struggle. Don't go to the dark side without imagining the possibilities, Check on some of the nastiness I posted, why would you possibly imagine that someone that did that means you no harm?

I think Jeff said it best with his previous cartoon. But being passive about your survival might make a statistic out of you.

And I rarely carry for this, although I am prepared. One landowner said, man be careful, I saw a bear and cubs, I hope you are carrying.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can appreciate what you are saying, but it is a straw man argument. If someone jumped you from behind you are in for a desperate struggle,, a life altering and possibly ending struggle. Don't go to the dark side without imagining the possibilities, Check on some of the nastiness I posted, why would you possibly imagine that someone that did that means you no harm?

I think Jeff said it best with his previous cartoon. But being passive about your survival might make a statistic out of you.

And I rarely carry for this, although I am prepared. One landowner said, man be careful, I saw a bear and cubs, I hope you are carrying.

I am not passive by any means....Last weekend I hunted a new site which was in a very isolated wooded area...My thoughts were of packs of coyotes or a bear should I encounter one. Honestly, I wish I had more than just my shovel for protection. Don't think it would be of much use against a bear or coyotes. I was once charged by a horse. They may seem docile but when a huge animal is running at you at a fast gallop because you ended up in a middle of a herd by mistake when you were focused on detecting, it can be unnerving.

I was just being the Devil's advocate and stating that your gun can be used against you if you were attacked by a thug or gang. Usually a person who attacks you would only want your wallet, then flee...If they were going to try something, they would do it when you are most vulnerable when you are on the ground with your headphones on. Your gun may not be so useful then when taken by surprise and could be used against you. It is not a straw man argument because I'm not disagreeing with you. These things do happen.

I remember when Tom Selleck was on the Rosie O'Donnell and how she acted like an idiot because she tried to push her anti gun views while on air. Selleck handled himself well..and I totally agreed with what he said. Anyway, as stated before, I'm not against guns.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I pack a yummy sunshine samwich when I tect that my mommy made me. No, really. I bring a camera with me too, so you can say I pack a camera. I want my buddy to try to get a picture of a butterfly landing on my head in the sunshiny meadow somewhere. I pack heat in the shower.

Michaud68

May 2, 2012
I carry a gun everywhere I go especially now a days with the economy the way it is crime rates are up. Like one person said its better to have one and not need one then to need one and not have one. I just read a news story the other day where a guy who carries stopped a man from stabbing people outside a store the police said it it wasn't for him it could have been a lot worse.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW,, 2 first Posts! Welcome to TNET Michaud68 and Firedragon! Go say Hi in the newbie section then come back over here! Good to see you!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing that sucks more than packin heat tectin is having to go downtown and having to explain to the police why you had to waste some guy out in the park that you found necessary to waist because you thought he needed wasting. Hat's off to you sir. :occasion14:

Michaud68

May 2, 2012
Gleaner just because someone carries doesn't mean they are going to shoot everyone or everything they see loll

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gleaner just because someone carries doesn't mean they are going to shoot everyone or everything they see loll

Agreed. I said I carry in the shower. No kidding. And I pack heat tectin too. I know that everyone that carries aint gonna not going to shoot everyone or everything they see. Thats just plain silly. Ammo is too expensive. lol lov lov lol love lo and kisses and bullets lol shoot em up! Great post:occasion14:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang it,, I haven't fired my weapon in years,, You have made me remember to go clean it. Thanks Mich!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2 cents worth - dog packs are NOT fun! In my case a bird shot round sent the alpha, beta and bottom feeder back home. Then where I usually detect the bears are mighty thick, have taken over a dozen food bags, destroyed many a camp, come in on me in camp and came out of the bushes once when I was carrying a bag of fresh caught trout. That last one almost cost me my undies! So, yes I carry a 454 and I am Not talking cubic inches. I've used it three times as a noise maker and they did not return, it is likely their ears are still ringing. Now I'm in California so I do not carry in public as these folks are afraid of being alive, have put in so many laws to "keep all of us safe" that all the fun things are illegal, like jungle gyms for crying out loud! Concealed carry permits are given out to Politicians but not us citizens who pay the majority of the taxes cause we can not be trusted. I should stop or this will become a rant. In the city I use a T-handled target probe and after about 100 probes into the dirt the 6" long by 1/8" diameter probe shaft has become kinda sharp, probaly go right through a thick leather jacket but then again that is up close and personal so I'd rather carry a can of pepper spray though the good stuff is kinda expensive. Any Questions?................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread