artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I upgraded my detector from the Ace 250 to the Minelab Safari about two weeks ago. Since this was really stretching my budget, I'm determined to get the very most out of the machine and learn it forwards and backwards. I admit that I'm technically challenged..that being said, I read the owners manual, and then I ordered Andy Sabisch's book on the Safari/Quattro and read it cover to cover. I took the advice in the book and buried a variety of stuff in my backyard to see how it registered and wrote down all of the Target ID numbers. After all this, I’m still confused. I’ve taken it out to an old park, and so far, I’ve found a grand total of 4 clad pennies and part of a Tootsie Toy (Volkswagen Rabbit). I think I’ve mastered pinpointing, but I’m feeling extremely overwhelmed and don’t know how to start. I’m afraid to change the settings and so far have only used it on the factory preset, which I know is a waste of all of the great capabilities of the machine. At this point, I’m really missing my Ace 250, because it was so much simpler. I’m worried that I’ve spent a lot of money on a machine that I’m not going to be able to figure out. It would be so nice if I knew someone who had the Safari who I could observe and learn from, but I don’t. I know that it’s going to take some time to learn all of the bells and whistles (by the way, I decided on the Safari over the E-Trac thinking that it was a pared down version that would be simpler to learn). One of the things that has me scratching my head is that whole chapter in Sabisch’s book about conductivity and ferrosity and how to program the Safari based on those two things. I really don’t understand what the numbers mean. I find myself simply ignoring the LCD display and just listening for the higher pitched signals. I know there’s got to be more to it then that. I was wondering if anyone who owns a Safari or similar who could offer some tips to start me off on the right path – or better yet, is there anyone in Northern New England (I live in southern Vermont) who might want to meet up (in your area, of course) and give me and my husband a lesson....we’ll buy you lunch!

Upvote 0

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artemis moon said:
I upgraded my detector from the Ace 250 to the Minelab Safari about two weeks ago. Since this was really stretching my budget, I'm determined to get the very most out of the machine and learn it forwards and backwards. I admit that I'm technically challenged..that being said, I read the owners manual, and then I ordered Andy Sabisch's book on the Safari/Quattro and read it cover to cover. I took the advice in the book and buried a variety of stuff in my backyard to see how it registered and wrote down all of the Target ID numbers. After all this, I’m still confused. I’ve taken it out to an old park, and so far, I’ve found a grand total of 4 clad pennies and part of a Tootsie Toy (Volkswagen Rabbit). I think I’ve mastered pinpointing, but I’m feeling extremely overwhelmed and don’t know how to start. I’m afraid to change the settings and so far have only used it on the factory preset, which I know is a waste of all of the great capabilities of the machine. At this point, I’m really missing my Ace 250, because it was so much simpler. I’m worried that I’ve spent a lot of money on a machine that I’m not going to be able to figure out. It would be so nice if I knew someone who had the Safari who I could observe and learn from, but I don’t. I know that it’s going to take some time to learn all of the bells and whistles (by the way, I decided on the Safari over the E-Trac thinking that it was a pared down version that would be simpler to learn). One of the things that has me scratching my head is that whole chapter in Sabisch’s book about conductivity and ferrosity and how to program the Safari based on those two things. I really don’t understand what the numbers mean. I find myself simply ignoring the LCD display and just listening for the higher pitched signals. I know there’s got to be more to it then that. I was wondering if anyone who owns a Safari or similar who could offer some tips to start me off on the right path – or better yet, is there anyone in Northern New England (I live in southern Vermont) who might want to meet up (in your area, of course) and give me and my husband a lesson....we’ll buy you lunch!

Hi Artemis! Im no expert and Im not familiar with the Safari but I do have the Minelab excalabur 11 that I got about 2 weeks ago also. Im still learning the sounds as it is a waterproof detector and doesnt have a screen. I started out with an Ace 250 and then bought a Whites XLT used and I still use it also. There is a learning curve with every new unit and it can be overwhelming and frustrating for someone who isnt tech savvy as I myself am not. Its good you are reading as much as you can on it and doing the test area in your yard. I think you will be able to learn it, it just takes many hours of use and digging everything that comes under your coil to learn its language. And it is like new language with each new detector. Something I found helpful is to search on youtube for videos of my brand of detector and learn from them. They have been helpful to me. I hope I helped at least a little bit.
Regards,
Melissa

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the suggestions..I would never have thought of YouTube! I'll give that a try. :occasion14:

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artemis moon said:
Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the suggestions..I would never have thought of YouTube! I'll give that a try. :occasion14:

:-). I hope it helps.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the Quattro for some time. I like to use the high trash setting so I can sweep faster. It really doesn't effect the readout all that much, and any difference is not noticed. I usually use coins or coin jewelry because I like the sounds. I switch to all metal to verify iffy signals. If I get a high sound then , I dig. If it is trashy try using manual sens and lower until it quits making so much noise. I usually run 10 sens but will go as low as 4 if needed and still find coins. I find I only use auto sens and low trash when there are not many targets. I go over the same area I detected with my Quattro (when i was cherry picking)with my Tesoro at 90 degree angle to my previous search and I usually find quite a lot the second pass as I dig all targets and find coins on edge that were missed when sweep was 90 degrees off. It is ok to have two detectors and use them both. In some conditions one will surpass the other and visa versa.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. I've finally gotten over my fear of making adjustments from the factory settings. I need to get out and play with it and see if that will help with understanding the machine.

dubmurphy

Greenie
May 7, 2012
Im in the same boat, just got my safari last month. I plan on obtaining a copy of the book on the safari/quatro. In the mean time i think the best thing to help learn the machine is use it, use it, use it. Dig, dig, dig.

rollie29

Greenie
Sep 18, 2009
Don't panic

I had a Safari previously (wish I hadn't sold it) and now have a Quattro. Don't be afraid to play with the settings becuase you can always default back to the factory settings if needed. I think the Safari is a very good machine and relatively easy to understand with a little training. There should be nothing wrong with the factory settings initially unless you're really seeing something wrong in performance. I would lay out a few items in the yard and create a little test bed. Make note of the TID numbers for specific items like gold rings, silver coins etc. I believe most silver reads high up in the +37 and +38 range. Andy's book also talks about "cross saving" modes but I wouldn't get into that until you've spent a little time with the machine. Also to remember to GB (or noise cancel) every so often. I'm a firm believer that if it's under the coil you'll find it. Best of success and if you need for help let me know.

Thanks for the tips. I've finally gotten over my fear of making adjustments from the factory settings. I need to get out and play with it and see if that will help with understanding the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread