Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: swing speed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2012
    CENTRAL IOWA
    GARRETT ACE250 GARRETT GTI 2500 GARRETT PRO-POINTER
    5 times
    Metal Detecting

swing speed

Does anyone have any insight into swing speed. I hear walk slow swing fast from some. Then i hear walk slow swing slow. I get walk slow! How bout swing speed?

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Swing slow and keep your coil as close to the ground service as you can. This is something that you should not rush at.

Jun 2012
    CENTRAL IOWA
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    Would you say about about 2 seconds to go from left to right is a good rate?

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY SEEKERS IA
    Would you say about about 2 seconds to go from left to right is a good rate?
    That sounds about right. Sometimes I go slower then that. You may get a faint beep and then
    really go slow to see what kind of reading you get.

Jun 2012
    CENTRAL IOWA
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    Will that help get a more accurate reading? I mean sometimes an object starts out on the grid like a penny, then after i cut out the plug it comes up moke like a pull tab or foil.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY SEEKERS IA
    Will that help get a more accurate reading? I mean sometimes an object starts out on the grid like a penny, then after i cut out the plug it comes up moke like a pull tab or foil.

Well it will help but you can never know till you dig.

Jun 2012
    CENTRAL IOWA
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well thank you for all your help. I will try to slow down.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    2749 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Booty! First, what are you swinging? Swing speed is different with certain brands and coils. I can swing my Lobo a lot faster than my GPX 5000. For the most part, it is really important to keep the coil as low and flat to the ground as possible. The MOST important thing is to walk slow enough to make sure you are OVERLAPPING each FOWARD movement with your coil, and not leaving unscanned strips between your left to right swings. When you hear a target, THEN slow your swing speed and pinpoint it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY SEEKERS IA View Post
    TerryC likes this.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Jun 2012
    CENTRAL IOWA
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    Using a garrett 250ace and a garrett gti2500 with stock coils. The way i have been doing it is being very carefull to overlap. I feel like i swing a little too fast so that why i post this question. Once i hear a beep i do try to take different stances and angles but im sure i dont slow down that much.

us
    Nov 2011
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Swing slow for surface targets and faster for deep targets. Three feet per second is fairly fast but that is what is recommended for the AT machines. They have a faster recovery speed so you probably want to go a bit slower than that.
    Where your heart is, there you will find your treasure.

O God of compassion, You alone can justify me and Your will never reject me when I, contrite, approach Your Merciful Heart, where no one has ever been refused, even if he were the greatest sinner. For Your Son assured me: Sooner would heaven and earth turn into nothingness than would My mercy fail to embrace a trusting soul.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by signal_line
    Swing slow for surface targets and faster for deep targets. Three feet per second is fairly fast but that is what is recommended for the AT machines. They have a faster recovery speed so you probably want to go a bit slower than that.
    Man your machine sure is different then mine. I do the opposite.

us
    Nov 2011
    63 times
    It has to do with the fast recovery speed of the AT series. I realize it doesn't seem right. Can't even find where I saw this.
    Where your heart is, there you will find your treasure.

O God of compassion, You alone can justify me and Your will never reject me when I, contrite, approach Your Merciful Heart, where no one has ever been refused, even if he were the greatest sinner. For Your Son assured me: Sooner would heaven and earth turn into nothingness than would My mercy fail to embrace a trusting soul.

Apr 2012
    Wa. State
    Quattro, DeLeon, Tiger Shark, Garrett probe , 5" concentric , 10.5 " DD & 18" DD for minelabs. 8" coil hard wired to TS
    48 times
    I dig repeatable deep targets with ID machines. The tesoros are not as deep and I sweep fast. The Minelabs by comparison is slower than dirt, but deep. You might try to repeat the same pattern over an area you just detected at half speed to see if you missed much. Although, I don't feel I am done with an area that is still producing, until I have detected it with different detectors and coils at different angles and times. Point being, I will probably miss something, so going slower may have me giving up on a spot sooner and in fact not waste time. I would keep experimenting as it is not always easy to apply what works for someone else. Good luck!
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    108 times
    Big sign of lack of experience is the oft used statement "swing low and slow". Filtering affects the correct speed needed so four filter detectors like a lot of older Whites needed a faster than average sweep speed for best depth and I.D. Other types like Minelabs FBS and BBS models a much slower than average sweep.
    Even "low" is often not the best choice depending on the amount of mineralisation in the soil.

People always try to make up rules to follow but with detecting its not just possible.

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    Current: BH Tracker IV, White's Coinmaster Pro, HF MD6008 Ex: BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    It does seem to have a lot to do with the brand (or even model) of detector, coil, ground mineralization, etc. For my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV it likes a fast speed to detect objects deeper in the ground.

One of the best ways to learn the correct speed you need is to go with a experienced MD buddy. Have them locate some targets at various depths and check the targets with your MD before they are dug. Try swinging your MD slow and fast over the targets, this will tell you what speed you need.

If you don't have someone to go with MDing, then try air tests on your MD by swinging the targets at various speeds in front of the coil. Or locate targets yourself then simply try varying the swinging speed to see which works.

GH & HH
    Thomas - White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Tracker IV, Mod HF Cen-Tech PP -MDing Since 6-4-12
    -Number of Coins: 359 -Jewelry: 10 -Pull Tabs: 339 -Fun:100%

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    585 times
    tectin crap
    I kinda like to swing low and slow too. Even when I am not tectin, like at work for example.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian
    Big sign of lack of experience is the oft used statement "swing low and slow". Filtering affects the correct speed needed so four filter detectors like a lot of older Whites needed a faster than average sweep speed for best depth and I.D. Other types like Minelabs FBS and BBS models a much slower than average sweep.
    Even "low" is often not the best choice depending on the amount of mineralisation in the soil.

People always try to make up rules to follow but with detecting its not just possible.

I am not a expert like you, but with the whites v3i and the adjustments I use I swing slow and low as you put it.

In most cases this is the best choice. I would hunt right behind you any day. LOL

Aug 2011
    35 times
    Swing speed kinda depends on what detector you have. Just keep swinging & eventually you'll be able to tell by your results!

Aug 2011
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaner1
    I kinda like to swing low and slow too. Even when I am not tectin, like at work for example.
    Lmao....u goofball gleaner

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    108 times
    Ticm....unfortunately you would find very little because you say you have had the DFX and the V3 both of which if you studied the handbooks you would find have a big advantage over more conventional detectors. Many detectors have fixed "best" speeds dictated by the circuitry. Whites on the other hand has provided you with adjustable sweep speeds that interact with recovery speed and filtering. If your not going to use the "edge" that Whites have provided you may as well buy a cheaper non adjustable machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors