Finds from my second day ever of MDing

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Hey guys Iearned on YouTube how to dig a clean "plug" and went to a little park in my city. I was only there for a little but I found a 1958 wheat penny about 3 inches in the grass! We also found 1 dime but not silver.

For my second day out im pretty excited. I found a ton of pull tabs and cans though which is no fun. I need to keep practicing with my ACE 250 so I can differentiate between good stuff and junk.

I was in all coin mode and know that that doesn't mean ill only find coins haha but are there any tips to seperate pull tabs from gold/nickels etc on the display?

Im waiting for the mail to arrive too, I picked up a garrett pin pointer too! Now i just need a good hand shovel for cutting plugs.

Thank you
Mike

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most gold sounds just like nickels and pulltabs...no machine can tell the difference. You will love that pro pointer, besides making it much faster to recover your target, the pro pointer is just fun to use.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite digger is the TREASUREWISE T14. Stainless 14 inch digger about 3 inches wide. Also in T12, T10. VERY strurdy and not intimidating lke a knife is. TTC

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most gold sounds just like nickels and pulltabs...no machine can tell the difference. You will love that pro pointer, besides making it much faster to recover your target, the pro pointer is just fun to use.

YES, what he said!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe spend some time learning what coins sound like from pull tabs and junk and don't worry about the gold and nickels for now. You'll burn yourself out digging nothing but bottle caps and pulltabs.
After 30 years I still could care less about nickels and gold. Give me the silver!

Al

cyberfish2

Greenie
Nov 14, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe spend some time learning what coins sound like from pull tabs and junk and don't worry about the gold and nickels for now. You'll burn yourself out digging nothing but bottle caps and pulltabs.Al
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?tab=wq#photos/104255192032225050465/albums/5782639815891740465 You might want to check out this link. I did some garage testing to get some real numbers for the AT Pro. Your Ace 250 should read the same, or very close.
For a while, I just dug the high numbers for dimes and quarters....then I found my first ring, so now pull tabs are just part of the job, with the occasional VERY pleasant surprise.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
cyberfish2 said:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?tab=wq#photos/104255192032225050465/albums/5782639815891740465 You might want to check out this link. I did some garage testing to get some real numbers for the AT Pro. Your Ace 250 should read the same, or very close.
For a while, I just dug the high numbers for dimes and quarters....then I found my first ring, so now pull tabs are just part of the job, with the occasional VERY pleasant surprise.

I dont have google plus and its not letting me sign up. Do you have another link

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
cyberfish2 said:

Never mind I got it thank you. Im not discriminating pull tabs but now when I pinpoint i can tell a coin or something like it because of that sudden drop off in sound rather than the gradual fading sound I get when im pinpointing on a nail or can with my ace 250. Ive been only diggong items with good strong pin points that are coin like in sudden drop off when the coil is off of them

gradechecker69

Jul 2, 2012
Southern OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT-Pro, Sovereign Elite and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's interesting, I have the Ace 350 and have never noticed that before. I can't say that I paid any attention to that. I myself would dig the target if it's a good strong signal (probably a weak one too). JMHO

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind I got it thank you. Im not discriminating pull tabs but now when I pinpoint i can tell a coin or something like it because of that sudden drop off in sound rather than the gradual fading sound I get when im pinpointing on a nail or can with my ace 250. Ive been only diggong items with good strong pin points that are coin like in sudden drop off when the coil is off of them
I love to hear a tight pinpoint, BUT two or three coins close to each other pinpoint wide just like a can or some other big junk. When I first started with my Ace250 I figured out that a coin would pinpoint tight so I stopped digging targets that pinpointed wide. Little did I know I was leaving any coin spill that my coil went over. The more you use your detector the more you will learn and the better you will get. Some things you will learn from reading and some you will learn on your own but the more you do it, the better you will get.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to hear a tight pinpoint, BUT two or three coins close to each other pinpoint wide just like a can or some other big junk. When I first started with my Ace250 I figured out that a coin would pinpoint tight so I stopped digging targets that pinpointed wide. Little did I know I was leaving any coin spill that my coil went over. The more you use your detector the more you will learn and the better you will get. Some things you will learn from reading and some you will learn on your own but the more you do it, the better you will get.

Ditto!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread