SlingwingDave

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just pulled the trigger yesterday on a brand spankin' new Tesoro Lobo ST to do some prospecting with as well as some coin/relic hunting in the downtime. I've done a lot of research on the net and have been lurking around here for awhile on some places to go for nuggets. My question is as a newbie searching for nuggets with a detector, is it better to go into the hills or down to the river bank to search? I live in the heart of the Gold Country in Northern California so I have many options available to me...

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So I just pulled the trigger yesterday on a brand spankin' new Tesoro Lobo ST to do some prospecting with as well as some coin/relic hunting in the downtime. I've done a lot of research on the net and have been lurking around here for awhile on some places to go for nuggets. My question is as a newbie searching for nuggets with a detector, is it better to go into the hills or down to the river bank to search? I live in the heart of the Gold Country in Northern California so I have many options available to me...

There's a club in Sacramento, that has multiple nugget buffs. Attend some of their monthly meetings, and get to know about the area. See who's coming in with nuggets for the show-&-tells, and pick their brains, etc....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Tom means pick the minds of people with no brains. I seriously doubt that any will give you too much valuable information keeping areas and thoughts to themselves for future profits. It's only human nature and less competition

I don't think that after a while of hunting yourself you'll be telling someone in your former position exactly where to hunt. Can you see yourself telling someone to hunt the east side of the river by the bend, near the painted rock, gold just collects in that little basin :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

SlingwingDave

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't expect for anybody to tell me when to go specifically. If I found a place, I know I wouldn't tell anybody where it is! My main question was more of a general area to go for the best luck. Is it usually better to detect on the hillside, or down by the river? I know the old saying is that gold is where you find it, but I want to spend my time where I would have the best chances of producing something. I have done plenty of research to know where the old mining claims and tent cities used to be which is where I plan to go, but just didn't know if it would be better to search the hills or the rivers...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread