Digging Tool: Knife Style, Shovel...What Do You Use?

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
When I first started metal detecting in the mid 80's I found out quickly one must have a digging tool made from good metal. Yeah, the cheap stuff bends easily. I bought a digger from Kellyco that I think was called the Gator. Can't find it so I've got to pick up something else.

What has worked best for you? Knife style? A type of shovel? Where did you buy it?

Thanks,
JohnnyRebCSA

Upvote 0

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I will start by saying the lesche digger, and probably most people will agree on this forum

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Johnny,
MY current tool of Total Choice for out in the field (note here: generally I prospect in the mountains of California) is something I can scrape with, scoop with, beat with and generally do little true digging as one has a hard time of "digging" in riverbeds either historical (dry) or current and wet. This little Gem is a Gerber folding/collapsible shovel that looks like a miniature of the full size military entrenching shovel. Gerber offer two types of these, the full size and the reduced size and I carry the reduced size. Make no mistakes the reduced size is at least as strong as the full sized but smaller and I use it hard and have for several years. For use in soils where removal of a lot of soil is not necessary I would opt for a good garden size double ended adaze with wide/narrow heads, Corona garden tools.

I purchased my Gerbers at a Big Birds store in Medford Oregon, likely the wrong name for the store but they carry everything and in the camping section were the shovels also available at Cabelas. There is another classic Lesche knife like digger with saw edge, large protected handle that I also own and use, good solid tool that will Not break. For REAL DIGGING I would suggest spending the $75 or more for one of the specialized metal shovels offered by a couple of the coin/relic/prospecting maufacturers like the company that makes the red handled knife/saw/digging tool in my photos. Hope this helps.....63bkpkr

Oh, a few months back here on Tnet and in the prospecting section I posted a Thread entitled "Can You Dig It" following pics from it show the items discussed above along with an EastWing Geologists "Gad Pry Bar". The Gad is a marvel at moving any form of rock! Also a picture of the river country I'm usually out in as well as a "Hat Feast" from mother nature with my insurance policy at the top of hat feast photo

195_9577.JPG 195_9579.JPG 195_9593.JPG 195_9594.JPG 196_9620.JPG 196_9627.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Second the Lesche hand digger.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche (knife looking digger with red handle) - comes either right or left handed. I also use a long handled, narrow width shovel, sand scoops, a metal probe and when all else fails, my hands (gloved of course).

Anita

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice digging tools. I just got this MINI Sampson from N.E.D. And I love it!!!!
Hey I lived in Medford OR. and Shady Cove too.

Attachments

• Lesche-MINI.jpg
    Lesche-MINI.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
swingbot said:
Very nice digging tools. I just got this MINI Sampson from N.E.D. And I love it!!!!
Hey I lived in Medford OR. and Shady Cove too.

I never seen that one, i think im gonna pick that one up

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche and Gerber are both great brands and worth the money, well worth it. You'll figure that out like I did when you are basically 50 miles from civilization and your economy priced shovel breaks in half. Like buying a cheap canteen at Walmart, filling it with water, throwing it into the back floorboard and realizing when you are out in the wilderness that the water all leaked out. Of course, now I carry a bottle of tequila, a couple of lemons and some salt just in case. I may die, but I'll never know it.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche and a plastic sand scoop when I am nugget shooting.

HH
Steve

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also use the T handle lesche and a sheath I make.

Attachments

• lesche BOMB.jpg
    lesche BOMB.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 1,824

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a 2" x 4" or 5" flat masonry trowel, it is rectangular in shape and very sturdy. It will cut through 1/4" diamtere roots with ease. It is not pointed like brick mason trowel. It is great for sliding under the sod after you cut your plug to flip it back. I think it only costs about $8 vs $40 for the lesche digger

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best shovel I have ever invested in is the Lesche Raven shovel. We all seem to use the same diggers but for shovels all I can say is WOW!!! Check it out The Raven

swingbot

Jan 27, 2012
central Ca.
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread