Put a fork in me...Im done!

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Put a fork in me...I'm done!

I love finding a honey-hole. Don't you? You hit a spot that does that awesome stutter sound, and you dig up not just one, but many coins.....gotta love it! It's fun, right? Well, yesterday I hit the honey-hole, of all honey-holes for me so far. Unfortunatley, and I can hardly believe I am typing this, put a "fork in me I am done!" I quit the hole. After digging for 25 minutes or more, with sweat balls sliding down my nose, in serious need of a chiropractor, I said, "That's it! No more PENNIES!" By the way, they are not cool wheaties...they are memorial cents. Sigh.......I ended up with over 125 pennies and STILL they were all over the place. Not in just one small area...oh, no! Over at least a 12x12 area. Now I know 125 coins doesn't sound like much, but imagine digging them out of lake sand and green clay. What happened? Wishing well? Penny hater? I don't know. I will tell you this. I can't stop thinking about them. Crap dogs....I gotta go get em'! They are haunting me. Anyone else have any cool honey-hole stories?

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: Put a fork in me...I'm done!

I have hit "penny scramble" areas like this before a few times with 100 plus memorials. It's exhausing huh. My best one was all wheaties at a campground. There was sawdust mixed all through them too, found in a grassy area. I think I dug about 90 wheaties in a 10 x 10 foot area. That was fun!

Cool post, thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

Wheaties! I would gladly dig up wheaties. I am still newbie enough to like to find those. Memorial cents....I am over them! Give me quarters, silver any-coin, and rings. I love rings!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Is,

"What happened? Wishing well? Penny hater?
I don't know."

Like BDoo said, "penny scramble."

Some parks in my area will have special programs
for the young kids. Will take several dollars of
memorials and scatter them in the chips. Hold
a penny scramble for the young kids to find.

Came across it myself twice. Get to you after
a while, so I move on. ;D

have a good un..........

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

"Penny scramble"...never heard of that until now. The only thing is, I am hunting my local fresh water lake. It is a dock area. Used to have a fish shack/restraunt about 25 years ago. Nobody goes there anymore. I have found most of my silver here. Our lake is way, way down. I was at the water edge....I wonder if they do "penny scrambles" off boats?

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Iskuli said:
I love finding a honey-hole. Don't you? You hit a spot that does that awesome stutter sound, and you dig up not just one, but many coins.....gotta love it! It's fun, right? Well, yesterday I hit the honey-hole, of all honey-holes for me so far. Unfortunatley, and I can hardly believe I am typing this, put a "fork in me I am done!" I quit the hole. After digging for 25 minutes or more, with sweat balls sliding down my nose, in serious need of a chiropractor, I said, "That's it! No more PENNIES!" By the way, they are not cool wheaties...they are memorial cents. Sigh.......I ended up with over 125 pennies and STILL they were all over the place. Not in just one small area...oh, no! Over at least a 12x12 area. Now I know 125 coins doesn't sound like much, but imagine digging them out of lake sand and green clay. What happened? Wishing well? Penny hater? I don't know. I will tell you this. I can't stop thinking about them. Crap dogs....I gotta go get em'! They are haunting me. Anyone else have any cool honey-hole stories?

iskuli,

I've got some honey-hole stories but they don't have anything to do with coins. ;D

It is frustrating to dig post 64 pennies, especially when you hit the "honey-hole" you describe. But ya know, one has to dig the pennies to find the more desirables! 8)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Iskuli said:
"Penny scramble"...never heard of that until now. The only thing is, I am hunting my local fresh water lake. It is a dock area. Used to have a fish shack/restraunt about 25 years ago. Nobody goes there anymore. I have found most of my silver here. Our lake is way, way down. I was at the water edge....I wonder if they do "penny scrambles" off boats?

Never heard of a scramble off a boat.
Just throw the kids in the water with the
pennies ;D

My bad, did not realize you were doing a lake. :P

Over 125. All pennies. Must be something kids
were doing. ???

have a good un...........

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

Well DJ...couldn't resist, could you? There's one in every crowd. I knew it was a matter of time before I would get a boy/girl comment. I see you use a white's classic id...so do I. Have you been successful with it? I am going to finish digging up all of those pennies. Out of curiosity alone, I want to see if there are any goodies. I was hoping the old restraunt had lost there cash register in the lake...wouldn't that be the bomb!

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl

I got 50 coins in 1 hit, yep all pennies, it was a roll of pennies an the paper was all but gone.

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID

I recently found 50 clad dimes in a 2 by 2 foot area in a drained irrigation ditch. Isn't that how many dimes are in a roll? I bet some kid stole a roll of dimes and had a blast hiding them.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

seas1to2 said:
I got 50 coins in 1 hit, yep all pennies, it was a roll of pennies an the paper was all but gone.
I also found 50 pennies in one hole at a old home site that was being torn down.All 50 of them wheaties. The location is around the corner from my sister's house,and everytime I drive by it brings back fond memories of that large oak that used to be there.
Mike in NJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got up one bright and early morning last summer and headed for an out of the way park I had discovered. I searched the park and didn't find much, one little gold toe ring and some clad. On the way back to the car I have the habit of just leaving my detector on and scooting it across the ground in front of me when I walk back. As I approached my vehicle I got a quarter signal at the curb just a few feet behind my car. Sure enough a clad quarter right on top. I scooped it up and from habit hit the spot again, and another quarter signal. This went on for several minutes, dig or pick one up and immediately find another quarter or a dime. In that one little foot square piece of ground I found 18 quarters and 23 dimes, all clad. I'll always wonder how they got there. Who knows? But it made my trip worth while. Monty

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge

I detected a grassy area at the side of a closed 7-11 that was just down the street from a Jr. High School. An area about 15'x20' with one tree in the middle. After about a total of 5 hours on two seperate days I was at $24.00 in clad. I wasn't digging zinc cents. One hole had four quarters and five dimes. It was interesting that most of the cents were found closest to the door. My guess is the kids would just drop them having no use for them. Not a lot of junk since most of the soft drinks were in plasitc bottles or cups.

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

I have gone back since the first post and I have not finished pulling out pennies...sigh...another 20 or more out of clay. ARGGGG! It goes against my grain to leave anything in the ground. Therefore, I will go back until there is NO sound in the ground!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Monty said:
I got up one bright and early morning last summer and headed for an out of the way park I had discovered. I searched the park and didn't find much, one little gold toe ring and some clad. On the way back to the car I have the habit of just leaving my detector on and scooting it across the ground in front of me when I walk back. As I approached my vehicle I got a quarter signal at the curb just a few feet behind my car. Sure enough a clad quarter right on top. I scooped it up and from habit hit the spot again, and another quarter signal. This went on for several minutes, dig or pick one up and immediately find another quarter or a dime. In that one little foot square piece of ground I found 18 quarters and 23 dimes, all clad. I'll always wonder how they got there. Who knows? But it made my trip worth while. Monty

My guess is mommy made kid wait in car for whatever reason. Kid rolled down window and started playing Turnpike, dropping the turnpike change out the window.
Who knows? Their loss, your gain. Enough for donut and coffee. 8)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hit the local Jr highschool or middle school I think they call it now? I thought I had found a coin carpet as picked up clad one coin after another for about three days. I still go back now and then just to see what's there and I still pick up quite a bit of change. A lot of the quarters and dimes was in a small area in front of the ticket window where you pay to get into the gymnasium for basketball, wrestling, plays, etc. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread