I will be getting the Minelab Explorer SE. I have ?s

D

damz68

I will be getting the Minelab Explorer SE. I have ?'s

I have made up my mind, after 2 months of figuring. It seems like the explorer is the best detector on the market for finding coins, including the deep ones. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not worried about the weight or how complicated it is, I want a detector that will clearly read coins at there deepest.

Can anyone here tell me what aftermarket or minelab coil will work the best in trashy areas for finding the deepest silver? And for all the explorer users can you tell me how the learing curve is for an xterra user. I do love my xterra just hate that it wont hit a coin at more than 4". Does the explorer give differant tones to differant coductive types and ferrous non ferrous types like the xterra. I love that feature and I am very good with it, I am about 90% right on what it is before I dig it.

So any advise on the explorer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I will be getting the Minelab Explorer SE. I have ?'s

You will no doubt hear from the guys that swear by the other machines, including Bounty Hunters. Don't worry. On the coil question, this is hard to answer because for working trashy areas a smaller coil is needed to get only one target under the coil at a time. Smaller coils have a smaller field and get less depth-period. The learning curve is normally short, you just have to use it alot at first to get used to it. It can make different tones depending on the settings you choose.

Don't let anyone tell you that you made a mistake. It's all in what you learn from it not the brand of detector.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Hmmm... Where are the Explorer users here? I thought I would post something here and bring this thread back to the top for another time at bat.
In case you haven't see it. Here is a post from Charles NY on his experiences with the WOT coil.

http://groups.msn.com/MinelabExplorerXSusers/wotcoiltips.msnw

When I used an Explorer 2 I thought it was the best coin machine I ever used.

I heard the new SE has faster recovery than the EX2.

Good choice
George

OP
OP
D

damz68

Yeah, I am kinda shocked no one has replied. I thought a lot of folks here used the explorer. I do appreciate you and sandmans reply and I did read the whole story on the wot coil. It was good. But when I did a search on the wot coil about 25 differant coils showed up, any idea which one it is. I also really can not see a coil that large doing well in a trashy area, but.

Thanks again, I went ahead and placed the topic in the minelab forum to see if I would get more hits.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

damz68 said:
Yeah, I am kinda shocked no one has replied. I thought a lot of folks here used the explorer. I do appreciate you and sandmans reply and I did read the whole story on the wot coil. It was good. But when I did a search on the wot coil about 25 differant coils showed up, any idea which one it is. I also really can not see a coil that large doing well in a trashy area, but.

Thanks again, I went ahead and placed the topic in the minelab forum to see if I would get more hits.

These are Coiltek coils. Here is a link.

http://www.detectordepot.com/coiltek_search_coils.htm
Coiltek coils are excellent coils- I own several for my PI.

You have to ask if anyone has used a 5X10" Joey coil on the Explorer.

George

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I have an Explorer XS and I to am looking for a 5 inch coil to hunt with in parks. i have a 14 inch excelerator coil that I have been very disappointed with up to now. It could be me and not the coil, so I'm trying to learn it better and I am playing with the settings on my XS as well. I'm hesitant to buy the 5 inch excelerator due to my lack of satisfaction with the 14 inch coil. I've been reading about the sunray coil and am kinda leaning that way now. It would be nice to be able to return a coil that didn't perform as well as advertised. I would probably purchase one sooner.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can`t and won`t try to speak for everyone, but in my opinion (and i `m sure u know what opinions are) i would get the SE first learn it the best u can then try upgrading to a wot or any other coil after u know the SE forward and backward. From what i have heard the wot does go deeper but at the small sacrifice of "possibly missing some shallow small targets" ..

I can attest to the fact the wots go deeper, i had 2, when they were first out for the sovi`s, i made a mistake, a big mistake, i had to have the latest and greatest gadgit no matter the cost. Well thats all fine and dandy but if u don`t know what ur baby is saying to u all that depth don`t do u one bit of good. I would have other people coming behind me and digging what i would miss, wasn`t the machine wasn`t the coil it was my lack of knowledge and what she was trying to tell me. When i had the stock coil i was tearing the beach`s up, then it was me digging behind other md`ers for what they left. After i went to the wot i got frustrated to the point i sold everything, don`t want to see other people make that mistake.

Yes i know i was hard headed and stupid, but lesson learned, just bought my SE and guess what the stock coils gonna stay on her. Maybe and i say maybe after i know her forward, backward and inside out, when i know every lil peep she tries telling me, i might mind u might try a wot on her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread