Upvote 0

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
9054 The minelabs are real slow retune but are deeper in med to hot ground than a whites. The MLs are not real good balanced,and after using whites so long there is a real learning curve with minelabs. you gotta go slow with them. The Deepest Whites is a TDI but its a pulse The next deepest is an MXT or MXT pro. It has knobs instead of tactile pads. If you aint in it to try and learn a detector stay away from ML. I've been detecting 42 yrs and was a multiline dealer for 20+ yrs. I have a 705 now, the 305 arent that deep as have used all the major brands over the last years and I mean ALL of them from f2 fisher to a T2 to ALL whites.The whites won't be the deepest but are smooth. Whites with others have a problem with see-thru with iron near a coin. Go to a dealer and take some clinkers or rusty iron objects and see which is best in trash. A treasure Barron is best for that with iron sound reject. I use a 5in or 6in head for coins in tot lots and scool yards.they are best as u may allready know. The deepest is a Blisstool from russia,1300$ and worth every penny and has disc. So does a TDI from Whites. just a thought. I believe u need to see which one will have a see-thru and it will completely surprise which one can see thru trash the BEST. I've had 4 mxt's as I really like them.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
rwd mo said:
9054 The minelabs are real slow retune but are deeper in med to hot ground than a whites. The MLs are not real good balanced,and after using whites so long there is a real learning curve with minelabs. you gotta go slow with them. The Deepest Whites is a TDI but its a pulse The next deepest is an MXT or MXT pro. It has knobs instead of tactile pads. If you aint in it to try and learn a detector stay away from ML. I've been detecting 42 yrs and was a multiline dealer for 20+ yrs. I have a 705 now, the 305 arent that deep as have used all the major brands over the last years and I mean ALL of them from f2 fisher to a T2 to ALL whites.The whites won't be the deepest but are smooth. Whites with others have a problem with see-thru with iron near a coin. Go to a dealer and take some clinkers or rusty iron objects and see which is best in trash. A treasure Barron is best for that with iron sound reject. I use a 5in or 6in head for coins in tot lots and scool yards.they are best as u may allready know. The deepest is a Blisstool from russia,1300$ and worth every penny and has disc. So does a TDI from Whites. just a thought. I believe u need to see which one will have a see-thru and it will completely surprise which one can see thru trash the BEST. I've had 4 mxt's as I really like them.

I have no problem learning a new detector, I'm now retired and have nothing but time ! I am going to get something other than a whites , I just want to switch to something else.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the pluses on being retired is that you can afford to wait while your detector is getting repaired. Check to see which manufactures have people praising their customer support. I can think of a couple and they are both in the USA. I laugh every time I hear someone say "I sent in in to be recalibrated". In 35+ years of detecting, I've never sent a detector in for recalibrating. That's just a way of saying it's broke and needs to be repaired. Some brands seem to need a lot of recalibrating.

Last edited:

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the pluses on being retired is that you can afford to wait while your detector is getting repaired. Check to see which manufactures have people praising their customer support. I can think of a couple and they are both in the USA. I laugh every time I hear someone say "I sent in in to be recalibrated". In 35+ years of detecting, I've never sent a detector in for recalibrating. That's just a way of saying it's broke and needs to be repaired. Some brands seem to need a lot of recalibrating.

I just sent in my Tesoro Outlaw to get "recalibrated" :laughing7:. I sent it in the snail mail and got it back about a week later. Thats from WI to AZ and back. Jimmy John's aint even that fast. Oh and if you want a machine that will unmask a target in trashy areas Tesoro is VERY good for pinging a target burried in trash.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
BottleCapBandit said:
I just sent in my Tesoro Outlaw to get "recalibrated" :laughing7:. I sent it in the snail mail and got it back about a week later. Thats from WI to AZ and back. Jimmy John's aint even that fast. Oh and if you want a machine that will unmask a target in trashy areas Tesoro is VERY good for pinging a target burried in trash.

Lol ! Thanks ! I've made up my mind, going with the Fisher F75 LTD ! Done deal !

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity what made u go with that. I looked at them to

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
dholland02 said:
Just out of curiosity what made u go with that. I looked at them to

Good enough for the meteorite men, good enough for me ! Comes with two coils and does everything I want! Fisher is the first in most metal detector break throughs !

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good enough for the meteorite men, good enough for me ! Comes with two coils and does everything I want! Fisher is the first in most metal detector break throughs !

Can't help but laugh. Should read: "Good enough for corporate sponsorship, good enough for me!" :) That show have longer run than 15min?

I hope it's a fine detector for ya though. I hear very little good things about it!

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75LTD is a great machine with a lot of horsepower. Be sure and turn the sensitivity down while you learn it. It's like a Ferrari, you don't floor it the first time you drive it. Learn how it handlesb efore you "put the pedal to the medal". I very seldom run mine higher than 65 sensitivity in park hunting in town. It can be sensitive to EMI , but that can be resolved by turning the sensitivity down.

Wayne

www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Metal Detecting Stuff said:
The F75LTD is a great machine with a lot of horsepower. Be sure and turn the sensitivity down while you learn it. It's like a Ferrari, you don't floor it the first time you drive it. Learn how it handlesb efore you "put the pedal to the medal". I very seldom run mine higher than 65 sensitivity in park hunting in town. It can be sensitive to EMI , but that can be resolved by turning the sensitivity down.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne !

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok ... With help from many of you I have narrowed down to either mine lab safari or the 705! Now I need all of you guys to push me in the right direction! Have used Whites for 30 years . I just have heard so much good about mine lab. I mostly search for coins, relics. Thanks inadvance.

Xterra 705= Change the coil, change the frequency, Hunt Everything:icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a couple whites, a troy, a tesoro and some minelabs..... I prefer minelab myself, i am still new to my etrac, use to own a safari which is really a dumbed down etrac (less features slower processor). I ha friends who own the etrac and they will tell you they love silver...... I am not in a hurry to cover ground when hunting land, I take my time.... I am primarily a water hunter, but do hunt land in the winter here in florida when beach hunting slows down.....

Some people who start on other detectors can not get use to the tones on minelabs, many times it is easier to learn a minelab if you have never used anothertor, but if you are coming from another brand and have the patience to take the time to learn it and remember it is a different curve you will love it...

Balance and or weight is never an issue with me, I always hunt using a harness, hck I hunt with a 15"18" SEF Butterfly coil on my sovereign many times at the beach.....

I continually tell people if you buy a good used detector and take care of it you will not lose any money......YOu could buy a good used Etrac, use it for 2 or 3 yars and sell it for what you paid for it, how can you go wrong......

I bought my Etrac for $90 used, but when I got it I could not tell it had ever been used...:thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were stronger and could manage the extra pound or more weight difference between the two, I'd go for the Safari, or even go for an Etrac. But, the 705 is much lighter and a great machine too, just not quite so deep. I've tried a bunch of others but I thought the audio ID on the minelab is absolutely the best.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see in other threads you are also considering a Garrett AT Pro. I keep "threatening" to buy one too.
Really like the idea of being able to get it wet.(to 10 ft anyway)

HH
this nuff said!

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wayne

Yes in my soils I can drop the Sens to 35% to run it as "a smooth ride" and it still hit coins in my test garden which were buried over a year ago at,,,, 6" ..

The high EMI seems to originate from our, neighbors WiFi's.

The At-pro doesn't seem to notice the local Emi in my test garden , and I run it 2 bars down from "Max".. which is groovy.

but then out in the relic fields you can kick in the Boost process of the Fisher, and wow off we go :)
I like the Fe3O4 meter for detecting old fire places as well..

Well good luck with the 75.
The At-P, the 705, F75, Etrac,, are all great machines and, lethal in the hands of an experienced users :)
HH
I know there are many great machines out there, if only we all had more money and could live to 150, then we could try them all :)

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Chips said:
Yes in my soils I can drop the Sens to 35% to run it as "a smooth ride" and it still hit coins in my test garden which were buried over a year ago at,,,, 6" ..

The high EMI seems to originate from our, neighbors WiFi's.

The At-pro doesn't seem to notice the local Emi in my test garden , and I run it 2 bars down from "Max".. which is groovy.

but then out in the relic fields you can kick in the Boost process of the Fisher, and wow off we go :)
I like the Fe3O4 meter for detecting old fire places as well..

Well good luck with the 75.
The At-P, the 705, F75, Etrac,, are all great machines and, lethal in the hands of an experienced users :)
HH
I know there are many great machines out there, if only we all had more money and could live to 150, then we could try them all :)

You are right ! I plan on getting out an having a great time !

cbcstamp

Jul 25, 2011
I see in other threads you are also considering a Garrett AT Pro. I keep "threatening" to buy one too.
Really like the idea of being able to get it wet.(to 10 ft anyway)

HH
. I have been a Whites user for a few years. I have an MXT and a DFX. The MXT is a jewel. The DFX is more than difficult to use. In my honest opinion it stinks. Whites builds a bullet proof detector. Service is excellent. Can not say one bad thing about Whites.

About 1 1/2 years ago I purchased a Garrett AT Pro. It is now my goto machine. I will not say it finds any more than my MXT, but it is lighter, less expensive to purchase and is water proof to 10 feet. The tones and VID are exceptional. The 5 x 8 coil is amazing. Iron ID eliminates bottle caps. Very deep and deadly accurate. I regularly find coins and rings between 9" and 10" deep. I don't want to dig any deeper than that. my best find is a 9.6 gram 14 k wedding band. VDI 58 solid. Since purchasing the Pro I have found in excess of $1500.00 in clad coins, hunting parks, soccer fields an various other sports complexes.

At the end of the day you need to research any detector that you may want to purchase, rent one if can or better yet borrow one if you can. Try it out and then make your purchase

I own a mine lab Excalibur. Have used it twice. All high end mine labs are heavy and have poor balance in my opinion. Good luck / Happy hunting
And various other sports facilities. Little beach hunting thrown in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread