Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fisher vs. White's question...

I have been metal detecting now for over 30 years. I hunted mostly on land for the first 20+. I moved to VA Beach and hunted exclusively in the water and on the sand for the last 12 years. Now that I am back in Baltimore, I want to upgrade my land detector. The last White's I owned was a Spectrum. I also own a Fisher CZ7A Pro. I have been very sucessful (satisfied) with both. I am looking at either the Whites VX3 or V3I or the Fisher F75. Any thoughts on which will better suit me. I mostly hunt parks and wooded areas. Thank you for reading! -Dave

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F75 or Minelab Safari

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at either the Whites VX3 or V3I or the Fisher F75. Any thoughts on which will better suit me. I mostly hunt parks and wooded areas. Thank you for reading! -Dave

Dunno what would be better for you but...I recently traded off an E-Trac for a new Whites VX3 and am VERY satisfied with it. Quite a bit easier to learn (the basics) than I expected. First hunt out...2 Barbers and a Merc.
Can't and won't comment on the F75 as I have zero time on one.
Oh yeah, the Whites is American made if that means anything to you!

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Terry. Now I have three to choose from. :icon_scratch: Did some research on the Safari. Looks like a good machine. Thanks for the suggestion!

bug1958

Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher cz 75 It works fine for me. I have found in the salt mode it can pick up really deep in sand dry or wet. I hunt more in traditional places than beaches though, It is a great detector as far as I'm concerned. It has a small search coil but trust me you won't be digging very big holes because it pinpoints great. But I gues the drawback is it takes longer to cover more ground. Also in Baltimore!!!!

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks, bug. Leaning that way. I love good pinpointing!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No experience with the F75 but lot of reviews on how "unstable" they can be.

I went through the Minelab E-Trac "magic bean" , "koolaid" hype and it's just that...HYPE! They're a fine machine but hardly the end all of detectors. It never once uncovered a target my Whites MXTP couldn't find.

You mentioned a V3i/VX3...another fine machine. I have a VX3 (traded in my Minelab E-Trac) and it's really nice. 3 frequency, pretty easy to grasp the basics, fast, deep, lot of options for "advanced" users. Plus it's well balanced and the color screen is easy and pleasant to look at. Can be a bit of a battery hog. HD rechargeable battery packs available! Oh yeah, White customer service!

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would watch todays finds to see which detectors are finding deep old coins in parks. You might have to drinks some koolaid, its very good stuff, those who learn them do well. I think the best value is a used explorer.

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
I used a CZ-20 on Jupiter beaches for 8 years, with a 10 1/2" coil, and believe me, after 12 years with the Fisher 1280X 8" coil, the 20 covered twice the ground in half the time, and DEEP in the wet sand at low tide. Never used any discrimination, ever, except to check what the machine was honking out through the earphones set on 10. I dug literally everything that gave a response, 95% of which was recycled junk, but the 5% was extremely rewarding. Everyone hunting the beaches were all using the CZ-20 here in Jupiter - no better salt water/wet sand machine anywhere else.

Too bad they sold the company to some Texas outfit that I heard now makes them in China. The CZ-21 was the upgrade they offered me when my old machine broke (for the second time - first time repaired free after 4 years, as I bought the machine with a "lifetime warranty". Second time, 3 years later, no dice. They basically told me to pack sand, as they no longer had parts for the old CZ-20, but they could convert my old machine to like new for $850.00 with new parts that fit into the same identical housing as the CZ-20. Left a foul taste in my mouth that a company that did the takeover would not honor the lifetime warrantee of the old company in Los Banos, Ca. I had even sent in artifacts to their museum of relic finds from all over the place.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
4reale,

Looks like we hunt the beach the same way with our CZ-20s. I LOVE that machine. It is a shame that Fisher was sold. That definately makes me consider a White's machine. In the mean time, I'm going to spend some time testing the CZ-20 on land to see if I can achieve similar performance. My CZ7A Pro is a great machine, but I'm getting a bit bored with it. HH

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Not true

Too bad they sold the company to some Texas outfit that I heard now makes them in China. The CZ-21 was the upgrade they offered me when my old machine broke (for the second time - first time repaired free after 4 years, as I bought the machine with a "lifetime warranty". Second time, 3 years later, no dice. They basically told me to pack sand, as they no longer had parts for the old CZ-20, but they could convert my old machine to like new for $850.00 with new parts that fit into the same identical housing as the CZ-20. Left a foul taste in my mouth that a company that did the takeover would not honor the lifetime warrantee of the old company in Los Banos, Ca. I had even sent in artifacts to their museum of relic finds from all over the place.

Lots of false and inaccurate information here;
1. All Fisher units are currently made in TX USA-Old Fisher Los Banos had some units made in China but new ownership in TX brought all MFG back to the USA
2. All lifetime warranties are honored if you are the original owner and have your original sales receipt which is required for any lifetime warranty work.
3. Without warranty CZ20 to CZ21 conversion is $299 if the unit is not flooded and circuit board can be saved. If its flooded and needs a complete rebuild its $399 for basically a new detector.

Feelf ree to call the repair department at 1800-685-5050 and they will confirm the CZ20 conversion information along with lifetime warranty information.

Thanks,

Mike

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good to know, Mike. My CZ-20 works great. Hopefully, I won't need repair anytime soon. Love the detector and love the battery life!
:thumbsup:

Rick-SeMI

Jan 18, 2012
Taylor, MI
Detector(s) used
<< Minelab Explorer XS >>
<< White's Spectrum XLT>>
<<<< Tesoro Tiger Shark >>
<<<< Fisher 1225X >>
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just gotten back into detectin' and see no reason to change the detectors I have, even the White's Spectrum XLT :icon_thumleft:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of false and inaccurate information here;
1. All Fisher units are currently made in TX USA-Old Fisher Los Banos had some units made in China but new ownership in TX brought all MFG back to the USA
2. All lifetime warranties are honored if you are the original owner and have your original sales receipt which is required for any lifetime warranty work.
3. Without warranty CZ20 to CZ21 conversion is $299 if the unit is not flooded and circuit board can be saved. If its flooded and needs a complete rebuild its $399 for basically a new detector.

Feelf ree to call the repair department at 1800-685-5050 and they will confirm the CZ20 conversion information along with lifetime warranty information.

Thanks,

Mike
.... I don't know were people get the idea that Fisher detectors are made in China....... Mike is telling the truth all Fisher detectors ...​Are made right here in the USA ...Texas....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with the Fisher's or the Tesoro's.

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi dave- everyone loves their detector. I'm not crazy about the v3i because i don't like the d2 coil. you simply can't crank it up & have it stay stable. the d2 coil is not symmetrical. i think the vx3 combines the best of the v3i with the 91/2" coil. i run at a preamp of 13 with great depth. i flip to a 4x6 coil when i work old foundations & high trash areas. great value in this unit for the money. i hit my 4th George Washington inaugural button this year & I'm known for my catskill gold cache. i know mike. nice guy. best of luck on your search. bob@northeast metal detectors

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi dave- everyone loves their detector. I'm not crazy about the v3i because i don't like the d2 coil. you simply can't crank it up & have it stay stable. the d2 coil is not symmetrical. i think the vx3 combines the best of the v3i with the 91/2" coil. i run at a preamp of 13 with great depth. i flip to a 4x6 coil when i work old foundations & high trash areas. great value in this unit for the money. i hit my 4th George Washington inaugural button this year & I'm known for my catskill gold cache. i know mike. nice guy. best of luck on your search. bob@northeast metal detectors

I have the totally opposite view on the D2 on my VX3. I Love it. Doesn't mask good targets when trash is close/on it like the 950 does. Never have an issue cranking it up either. Can't say anything bad about it.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safari is a great choice..I have close to 100hrs on it...and love it. Sweeps right through the iron...in the last several hunts I can't recall digging any iron. The detector also has great depth and the tones are spot on as well as the numerical readout...but I hunt all the repeatable tones. Also has great depth....I got mine off ebay for HALF the price and couldn't be happier.

Hit youtube and watch the videos on the detectors you like....Good luck man...HH

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Not false if you're dealing with the problem from my end. Here's a copy of their "excuse" for not honoring the warantee, even though it had been fully repaired under warrantee in 2005, when Fisher still owned the company out in Los Banos.

CZ-20 on RA # F7373
Fisher Labs Service and Repair <[email protected]>
Add to Contacts
To:
Cc: Fisher Labs Customer Service <[email protected]>
Hello Bruce,

I checked your CZ-20 with serial number 43323 which is registered under your name but I show the unit was manufactured in Jan 1999 therefore no warranty.

On the CZ-20’s we no longer have the parts available to do the repairs therefore we must upgrade them to a CZ-21 even if you only report “Return to factory for replacement of that wire” regardless if the unit has warranty or not.

The upgrade consists of a new panel (no upper middle lights), new pinpoint, gaskets, housing, the unit will have a new serial number, we will include a CZ-21 manual all for a minimum of $298.00 plus shipping but if your unit needs a new coil or headphones that would be a separate charge.

You may use “return number” F7373 place this number on the outside of the box and a note inside with your name, phone number, address and the problem.

Ship to:

Fisher Labs
Attn: Repairs
Reference: F7373
1465 H – Henry Brennan Dr .
El Paso, TX 79936

If no warranty when the unit gets here a technician will evaluate in which I will contact you with the estimate charges no repairs until you approve them on a credit card, check or money order if you refuse for any reason there will be a processing fee of $25.00 to return the unit un-repaired.

The return number F7373 is good for 30 days.

Please keep the return number handy with you in case you email or call me.

Thank you,
Felix
Fisher Labs
915-225-0333
800-685-5050

I hope you feel my level of frustration, with what had been my detector of choice for 25 years, all of them (I owned 5 different Fishers at one time). Look at the first sentence in their response, and what do you say to that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread