Most coins found in one hole?

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've seen cases of people finding hundreds or more coins out of one hole in metal detecting stories, but I'm also sure those are far and in between. What's the most coins you've found out of one hole? In my short two months of MD'ing, I ran across a hole with 5 clad dimes, they were all in a little bunch. That is my most coins in a hole so far. What is yours?

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Found 9 clad dimes once

13 coins, all new, pocket drop at beach

5 new Ireland coins, drop at same beach

1 Barber half, 1 Mercury dime, & 1 IH in same hole in a park

1 WL Half, 1 silver Wash. 25 cent, & 1 mercury dime in same hole at swimming hole.

114 memorial cents in 3 ft. circle on top of ground at school playground( didn't see them,
headphones went off like a rocket)

Many more, can't recall..............HH

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Here's the better question....

How many coins LEFT in one hole?

Has your buddy ever MD'ed behind you and redug your hole and pull out more coins?

(Happened to me last weekend, he pulled 3 wheaties) Bad thing is I double checked the hole before and after I put the plug back in.... no reading on my machine.

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
17 coins,1 nickel,3 dimes,and 13 pennies alongwith a swizzle stick,plastic toothpic,3 leggo pieces,and 5 blue crayons.

The coins were all LDJs(latter days junk).

hasbeen

AgileMJOLNIR

Apr 3, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
27 Chuck E. Cheese tokens in one hole. Had to have been buried by some kid. Actual coinage, 8 quarters in one hole.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I was just over at a buddies house showing him how to detect & I hit 24 clad nickels in one hole. His 5 year old son took em all to the sidewalk to count em & we were all amazed........they kept coming out! Kid made about 5 trips, he is saving money fer an Xbox so I gave em all to him & made his day! :)

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a pocket spill of 8 memorials once, nothing exciting, fun to find.

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A half role of Mercury dimes at an old boy scout camp. Someone must have buried them awhile back.
Around 14-18 lincoln memmorial pennies at the beach. I got sick of finding them all, I quit looking after finding the 15-18. I went nuts over the dimes, but didn't really care about all the pennies. If they were wheats or IH, then yea, I'd stay forever picking them all out. :D

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in one of the first years that I started hunting, climbing into a small area of woodchips and bushes at the local park, just to check there for kicks and giggles. In the same hole, at the base of a bush, I found a few quarters and other coins, including 3 Sacagawea dollars. It was at the base of a bush; I wouldn't be surprised if a kid buried them there. Other than that, about 10 zincs in the same hole. :tongue3:

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Near me there is a sandy area we call the Dunes at the south end of Moses Lake. ATV and 4 wheeling area. I was searching around a camp fire ring and got a quarter signal. Pulled up $2.27 cents in one scoop. Found 3 quarters with the second scoop. Most I have ever found at one time in one place.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I found 42 clad dimes in a sand box at a local tot lot earlier this summer. Other than that, 5 clad quarters was my best but they were on the surface under some grass.

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once when detecting at the beach I found 2 complete rolls of dimes still in the paper wrappers in one swipe of my sand scoop, so 100 dimes..:)

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well, as far as older coins go, I found 26 wheats and one 50's Jeff nickel in one hole in the back yard of a house I've been searching this year. Overall, this house has produced 28 silver and around 175 wheats (also, 4 indians, 4 buffalos, one V, and various early 1900's foreign coins). It was/is a very nice house. I believe it started as a farm house in about 1880 (this accounts for the indians, v, barber dime as well as many flat buttons, suspender clips and crotal bells... these were all at about 6-8"). It then seems that some time in the late 30's/early 40's, the farm land was sold, and addition was added and a fairly affluent family moved in. There are 30's-late 50's coins EVERYWHERE. The best part is that they're all only 1-3" deep! Even better is that from the 60's on, the inhabitants must have been neat freaks, as there almost NO modern trash or coins. With about 225-250 old coins found, I've only found about 40 clad era coins and maybe 10 pulltabs. Its great. Now, my buddy Bernie owns the house and has given me free reign to hunt. I've put in at least 30 hours, and I'm still not done. Best... site... ever.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
15 assorted clads...probably lost or hidden by a kid.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for one hle in the ground I found 6 4 pennies, 1 nickel and a dime. But my best find of coins was when I bought my 2 home a old farm house. We had to goin and clean it out. Down in the basement I found a old metal bandade can and it was full of pennies there was some IH's and the rest was wheat cents. There was over 100 pennies in the whole thing. That was the best find for me....Matt

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most I found was 17 quarters, 3 pennies, 2 nicks and 2 dimes in one hole!!

:headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread