awesome research site!!

redeemed

Jul 8, 2005
Thomaston, Upson County GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher Coinstrike, Vibraprobe 560
I found this site "digging" on the net yesterday. www.hometownlocator.com Check it out. It lists the counties and cities for every state. Gives location for all kinds of places, churches, schools, river crossings, etc. It even lists historic "no longer in service" schools and bridges etc. with GPS location for my area. One particular bridge/crossing that I have been trying to locate is listed and there isn't even a road there anymore (civil war era). I don't know how accurate the locations are but they should put you in the general area.

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice link, it earned a place in my favs.

HH/NS

B

born2md

Hi, I must be super dumb because I can't figure out how to get this site to pull up historical information, I can get mapquest type info but don't see how to get historical info. I would appreciate any help you can give me in using this site.

T

TheDetectorist

Same here. Guess I dropped a few IQ points during breakfast.

TD

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Redeemed. The terraserver aerial maps are a lot closer than the Google Earth maps for my area.

I bookmarked this site.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I looked up info on ghost towns around here and got very little, but when I put my hometown in (100,000 population) I got some pretty good stuff. Maybe try the closest large city and get your info from there. I found two schools that I didn't know about, and got a different location for a river crossing I've been trying to locate. The previous location I had was wrong, so maybe this one is correct, or at least closer.

Thanks for the site!

Jason

OP
OP
redeemed

redeemed

Jul 8, 2005
Thomaston, Upson County GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher Coinstrike, Vibraprobe 560
I'm glad you guys found it helpful. Let me know if it leads to some cool finds.

Born2Md - In the site, go to the State/County section and click your state, then the county list two options. I choose features and a list of physical and cultural features comes up. In my county it lists 41 schools. Click on schools and it gives lat., long. and maps for each. ( Some of the schools were listed as historical) Hope this helps.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good one redeemed! Thanks!

Now I just need to watch the satellite images to see where Mona, Gypsy, and Nana are hunting. Wear a cap with your member name on top..kay?

Badge

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip, Re. I bookmarked it too! ;D

;) RR

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
great site,found an old school Id forgotten I knew about because it was tore down 29 years ago. Ive found a lot of info on my area at roots-web not sure of exact address,plus there is a place called ghosttownsusa or something. Im on the desktop and those are on my laptop but if I think about it Ill add the urls later,thanks again...Shoot

K

kestrel0222

Great site, thanks for posting the link. Lots of great info there. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread