Most coins found in one hole?

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've seen cases of people finding hundreds or more coins out of one hole in metal detecting stories, but I'm also sure those are far and in between. What's the most coins you've found out of one hole? In my short two months of MD'ing, I ran across a hole with 5 clad dimes, they were all in a little bunch. That is my most coins in a hole so far. What is yours?

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found so much clad over the years, I couldn't remember something like if you paid me.....however, I do remember once finding two Franklin Halves under a pine tree. ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best hole with old coins that I have found is this one:

1866 IH Cent, 2 1921 Canadian Cents, 1916 Canadian Large Cent, 1914 French Silver 50 Cents, Republic of China Ten Cash Coin, extremely warn seated liberty half dime, for a total of 7 old coins

A few days ago I dug 4 indian heads in one hole and a v nickel right next to that same hole.

When I first started out I dug a hole with over $2 in clad in it.

S

sendin

16 clad quarters (1 Canadian) in one hole near a soccer field. I was new and it was weird. Of course, the next time I went to detect there I got a $20 dollar parking ticket!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My best one:
1 swedish krona, form 2000 :P

They (almost) only loose pulltabs here in sweden! ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 barber dimes

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
50 wheaties in one hole. All stacked together. Obviously a lost roll of pennies. Being they were all stacked together most of em were in good shape. 30's, 40's, and 50's.
Cyas, Mike in NJ

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These weren't dug from one hole. But I was detecting in a park at the base of a tree and found 30 coins (29 pennies and 1 quarter) all within a 1 foot area laying on top of the ground.

Huntin' 59er

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a whole roll of wheats with some of the paper in the ground in front of a high school a few years ago. Best I can figure is someone must have stepped on it while the ground was very muddy. I can't see a roll of coins laying on the grass for long.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
7 I believe. A couple of quarters and the rest were nickles all laying on edge. The other one was 10 Kennedy halves but spread in an area 6'x8'.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 wheaties

Attachments

• 50 wheaties 2.jpg
    50 wheaties 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 50 wheaties 2.jpg
    50 wheaties 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,591

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Last summer I found 11 wheaties in one hole in a flower bed in my brothers yard in Georgia.

Attachments

• wheaties 2.jpg
    wheaties 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,551

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I dug 2 mercs out of one hole one day last week,my most memorable thus far. With clad its tough to say,sometimes there isnt really a hole but a small area the size of a plate will yield 10-15 coins though mostly pennies...Shoot

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recovered $3.75 in quarters from Chanute Air Force Base in 1982. I was searching behind the old EM club. I don't know what remains as this was one of the bases that was closed back in the late 1980's. Sad that so many bases were closed, jobs moved, families split, got to go where the jobs go.
Stay safe and do only good!
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fifty pennies, the long lost penny roll. Unfortunatly my roll was all memorials >:(, unlike all the rolls of wheats that have been posted.

D.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
You've got me beat, the most I ever found in one hole is 4. :)

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
one time a long time ago i was searching an old graveyard area and got a decent reading that read about 2". i plugged the hole to about 3" and nothing, but i still got a reading. i figured i had found something large, probably junk. it was getting dark and this was going to be my last target for the day. I took out another big chunk of dirt expecting to see a piece of metal.

What did i see? a whole bunch of dark circles!! I figured wow a bunch of wheats.... i picked a few up and holy crap INDIANS!

what i found was an old change purse similar to the one posted on the todays finds board. It had about 10 indians and 4 or 5 V nickles, every single coin was from the 1890's.

unfortunately there were no digital cameras back in them days so all i have are memories of the find and the coins of course but theyre all mixed in with my other finds but it would have made a neat post.

DIG and you never know what you might find!

sometimes you just have to dig the iffy readings because you never know.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Well, they weren't actually in a hole, but once, years ago, while I was detecting in a small park I found a spill of over $12 at the end of a teeter-totter. The ground was littered with quarters! My dad was hunting with me, and I had him come look at them before I picked them up. He couldn't believe it, either. I figured either some kid lost his video games money the night before, or maybe it was loot from a vending machine.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
July 27th 2005, I received a signal for a penny at about 3" down. It sounded a little sporadic but I dug it anyway. After digging down about 2 1/2" I reached my hand in the hole to remove the loose dirt and much to my surprise I pulled out a fist full of coins and they just kept coming. It appears someone had lost their purse. The purse for the most part was rotted away and anything else that was in it was gone also but I came out with 8 quarters, 30 dimes, 30 nickels and 7 pennies.

Attachments

• purse.jpg
    purse.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,408
  • purse.jpg
    purse.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,393

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread