Metal detecting for gold in South Carolina

Cstyle00

Greenie
Dec 20, 2012
Hey fellow prospectors and treasure hunters. I started this thread to see what people had to say about gold still in South Carolina. I aq'uired a small tract of land in Smyrna, York County. Land has been untouched since the California rush (except the little old lady that lived there since 1912). Basically I'm wondering has anyone ever picked up a nug in SC. I understand that it would be rare and would be quartz, not like a nug found in the west. If anyone knows of the Dixon Mine, Martin Mine, Horn Mine, or Southern Gold Mine which all closed in 1939 I think by Roosevelt because of the war. I'm near there. They were pulling some good size nugs from the myths. So let me know of your stories of gold found in SC.

Using a White's GMT. So far about 20 hrs. prospecting. Digging everything under 85% iron somtimes I dig targets anyway off of fence lines. Slow going lots of nails and .22 cal. bullets in rocky soil. Found a few buttons with no markings and some worn down axe heads about 14" down under large roots. Makes you wonder what happened to make someone be so careless with such a valuable asset of the time. I'm going to search it all of course, consentrating on the tickest areas of the forest first since the leaves are down and try to hit as many ridges and hillsides before summer slows things even worse. I'm detecting the area first then I'll dig some prostpecting pits. What gold have you guys seen in SC?

Upvote 0

HannahTnSc

Jan 4, 2022
I on an acre and a half in Smyrna South Carolina. I don't know much about gold prospecting but I will take any advice anyone can give me. I'm trying to study up on it. There are three gold months within a mile from my house and I sit in the middle
on one and a half acres. bought house from a family that built the home there in 1965.. there's tons of quartz and I have found one nugget of gold about 3 oz . And when I found it I wasn't even serious about it then it was completely but just playing around picking up a handful of rocks in a runoff and taking them home. Any tips would be appreciated .thanks.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look up LDMA they have a camp with gold bearing ground near you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread