Thoughts on finding wedding rings

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading another post tonight about finding a child's ring and how sad it seemed:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/336077-saddest-find-i-ve-ever-made.html

I have found a number of lost wedding and engagement rings over the years and was, on a few occasions, able to find the original owner. But for the most part they were lost by parties unknown. I sold them and the cash was nice. However, it was always a bit sad. Imagine losing something that should be so precious to you. Most of us know how to go and recover something we have lost, but for many it is not an option. Sometimes our finds to carry a note of sadness in the joy of the find.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to find the person who lost the item also but If I don't, I don't lose any sleep over it. If people didn't lose stuff, we wouldn't have much of a hobby!

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time you find a wedding ring and feel sadness, just try to think that it was a terrible marriage, and that whoever lost the ring really just threw it to get rid of the memories of the marriage after they divorced. Then you can sell the ring and buy yourself something nice.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i lost my wedding ring about 5 years ago ... I just went out and bought another one.........The only thing i was sad about... Was putting money out for another one........ Both my wife and myself liked the new one it looked just like the old one......

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 that had personal engraving inside. Posted on criagslist under found but no one claimed them. Figured they had possibly divorced and threw them into the ocean?

peanutman

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
I lost my wedding ring throwing a cat net, least I can say is I'm divorced now, turns out that when you throw a 2000 dollar ring into the lake fishing when you are supposed to be going to a lunch party with the inlaws its a bad thing. oh well I got a new motorcycle and metal detector.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares keep it. I bought my detector to benefit me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find on average that returning a ring benefits me greater than keeping it.

bonnieb

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
My husband actually lost his as he was metal detecting and he had clipped it on his key chain-
He went back n attempted to find it but had covered so much ground he had no idea where it could've come off

Got him a new one for V- day so i told him better find a way for it not to set off detector Bc I swear if he loses this one.....
:-))

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not everything is lost people get mad and throw there rings

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you GrizLeeBear. One of the posts in that "saddest find" link said it the best:

"Yep, there is an aspect to this hobby that all too often gets forgotten. The circumstances under which the items we find were lost. We are overjoyed to turn up an old silver coin but we never think that maybe, just maybe, it rolled from the fingers of a poor unfortunate soul in our past. A breastplate with a bullet hole, broken necklace, a watch, a pledge to a loved one engraved inside a wedding ring, etc., etc., all things we get excited about now. Yet, there was a life attached to all of them. I think it best we don't lose sight of this."

While there isn't anything in code of ethics that is directly about this, it all fits hand in hand.

That said, I'm a new guy and I haven't found anything at all yet. But I already decided that if I ever found something that would be so precious to somebody like their wedding ring or graduation ring or things of that nature that I would absolutely make an effort to find the person and return it if possible. Its not just about profit - its about doing the right thing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with you GrizLeeBear. One of the posts in that "saddest find" link said it the best:

"Yep, there is an aspect to this hobby that all too often gets forgotten. The circumstances under which the items we find were lost. We are overjoyed to turn up an old silver coin but we never think that maybe, just maybe, it rolled from the fingers of a poor unfortunate soul in our past. A breastplate with a bullet hole, broken necklace, a watch, a pledge to a loved one engraved inside a wedding ring, etc., etc., all things we get excited about now. Yet, there was a life attached to all of them. I think it best we don't lose sight of this."

While there isn't anything in code of ethics that is directly about this, it all fits hand in hand.

That said, I'm a new guy and I haven't found anything at all yet. But I already decided that if I ever found something that would be so precious to somebody like their wedding ring or graduation ring or things of that nature that I would absolutely make an effort to find the person and return it if possible. Its not just about profit - its about doing the right thing.
........Well i would say that you are in the wrong hobby ....If every time you found something good or nice it would make you sad and up set you .......... It would probably be best for you not to pursue this hobby...... You could end up with a nervous break down...... When i find something nice it does not bother me...........Well when i find something it does make me think......... It makes me think of....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were lucky enough to have found 3 wedding bands this past summer. One we were able to return (the people who lost it were frantically looking for it on the beach, so we knew approximately where to search), the other two no identifying marks on them. Will probably sell them eventually.

I agree, kind of sad, but maybe as someone else mentioned, maybe they were "lost" on purpose.

Their loss is our gain.

HH,
Anita

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, it is a disposable world. If someone looses something, they don't spend enough time looking for it. They just go buy another. I can see where someone would not have time to look for jewelry lost during a vacation. Some of my best finds were at South Beach, near Miami. A young person hang-out. I just don't understand why they would wear their FINEST then not spend time looking for it. TTC

D

DeepThought

for me....if an item is of any importance to someone, they will continue to think of it throughout their life. But when that item is lost, memories shift from fondness to sadness. Morally and ethically, every attempt should be made to return an item of value to their owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread