Appleton, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to make sure the park you go to isnt posted no metal detectors. Aso find a club even of it is in the next town.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search on here for appleton. O did and found several posts from people in your area. Contact them and talk to them. See if they are in a club or know of a club. D a search in here to see known places in wiscons your not suppose to go and find oher parks and beaches you can go to.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bunch of good places to hunt in Wisconsin plenty of parks to go around and lakes, beaches of Lake Michigan the list goes on lol Milwaukee alone has like 20 parks lol

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did you learn when you went to the Appleton Historical Society Museum?

How many places did you hunt after doing a Google search on
"Appleton Wisconsin history" and reading the first 5 or 10 links?

You DID do those obvious things before asking the forum to
do your research for you, didn't you?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Te guy simply came on and asked for help. He apparently doesnt know where to go or he wouldnt have asked. Why bash him or say you have checked all ese places before asking for help. Just offer up some suggestions and wish hi, well.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
tall-tom, no need to back-track. Your answer was great! I mean, seriously now, if someone had a site they could point out to someone else and say: "go here to such & such, and you'll likely find easy seateds and barbers with 4-star signals ...". I mean, seriously, no one with such a spot they've researched out, is likely to tell total strangers on a public forum, of such site. They'd merely work it out themselves! And if they've done the homework, you can hardly blame them.

The best site-tips someone's going to get, is for other to tell them general starters, like "old stage stops, fairgrounds, campsites, old parks", and so forth. And yes it's true that the newbies are often picking up the same old tired history books, that were already exploited by the old-timers 10, 20, and 30 yrs. ago. But as you say: there's always more history to be researched, and always obscure history sources that can give yet another spot, etc....

Another source of a fresh new spot, which can occur at any time, is to watch for old-town urban demolition sites (like old town sidewalk tearouts, etc....)

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a posibilty this person just didnt think of that or they dont have a museum or historical association there?

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found many of my sites by doing "other" outdoor adventures. Hiking, deer hunting, camping, road trips, etc. When you get the bug you are always looking for sites. The more good sites you find the better you get at it.
With that said I learn areas from the top down. In other words, I research the general area for early settlements, roads, land grants, you get the idea. These are often overlooked by people limiting their research to the Revolutionary War and on. Then of course old homesites are a must and can often be located by little clues such as a gap in a stone wall or an out of place pile of stones. There's lots of ways to find good sites, but there is no reward greater than picking a site on your own and then digging a silver coin out of that location. You'll get good at it, it just takes a little time. H Digs :)

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom you said you have done research. Prhaps research the few posts this kd put up and see he is ten years old . He has tried to get i to the hobby and doesnt really know where to turn. He found this site and asked for help the way a ten year old should.
As far as i am concerned this kid has come here and asked for help and been bullied because no one knew how old he was or looked at any of his posts.
Tom amd others this person is a ten year old kid and you guys shsould offer help. Ot bash him aski g did you research here or that he is lazy. He is a kid for gods sake.

Last edited by a moderator:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hello mister HistoryDetector and welcome to the tnet
you will find some good friends here
don't be afraid to ask more questions here that is why we have this forum