Has your metal detector paid for itself yet?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has it and if so, how long did it take? Was it one big find, or a number of small ones?

Mine has and it took about six months. I had one find that paid about half and then several small ones that put me over the top.

I am sure many new to this hobby will be curious.

Upvote 0

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm so far one silver quarter, 50 cents, and some junk. a axe head. Nope just don't tell the wife.

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a brand new MD'er...I'm lucky, determined, and retired...so I have the time to invest.
I'm going to pay for this AT Pro in the first year...there, I've set my first goal.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Since my detectors are old, but good at what they do, they have paid for themselves many times over. The 2 Box is way ahead and looking at a bright future as soon as it warms up. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Although I have never sold anything that I have found, I can say that I have paid for every aspect of my MD'ing hobby. I would dare to say that I have earned a little spending money too!

VPR

Robert Eugene

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
Southern Hoosierville
Detector(s) used
Garrett BFO,

Bounty Hunter Big Bud,

White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a lot of clad to come up with 750.00 bucks plus a lot of knocks on the head from low bleacher seats at ball diamonds , most of the coins are laying on top don't even have to dig just pick 'em up. But I paid for my XLT just like that, took me 2 years! Bet I searched every ball diamond, soccer field, basket ball and tennis court within
a 50 mile radius.

Jogging tracks, play grounds,picnic tables, park and bus stop benches hold lots of clad and some jewlery and silver.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope, still too cold up here to get out. And I can't get it to take the trash out either

Scotdixon

Feb 18, 2013
Knightsville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Bounty Hunter 505,101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir this was directed to you, I have a son turned 21 somewhere Afghanistan. I pray for all, no civilian knows the sacrifice given.My dad also a 2 tour Nam vet - he told me every third man became a Marine. If people took a tour they would love and respect this country. My son is also a patriot, he enlisted at 17. Could have gone to any college he wanted, we consulted and agreed his heart wanted to do something bigger than himself.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
She is worth the effort. Support our troops no matter the cause, remember military fathers,mothers,sons and daughters are THE reason we are able to enjoy AMERICA. "Son, I anxiously await your safe return"

IowaPro

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2012
Southern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Currently Use Whites MXT Pro & Minelab E-Trac!Have owned Whites DFX/Eagle 2/6000 series/5000 series/ and first detector was a goldmaster.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a lot of detectors over the years and found lots of stuff! Have they paid for themselves? I would have to say hundreds of times over in just the enjoyment and relaxation I get every time I go out! Just got a new machine and spent more money on it than any I have previously owned but I expect to again get my moneys worth in fun and relaxation alone! As far as monetary value I guess I have never set down and figured that one out.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a brand new MD'er...I'm lucky, determined, and retired...so I have the time to invest.
I'm going to pay for this AT Pro in the first year...there, I've set my first goal.

Upgrading to the AT Pro Soon!!! Hopfully it will Pay for its self Quickly If I ever get to Use It RED IS VERY EXCITED!!! :BangHead:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends how you figure it. I sold two hundred dollars worth of silver once and still regret it . If you add the total estimated value of all my finds then, yes it paid for itself many times over. However, since I collect or give away my finds, then no I have not recovered the cost of my detectors, digging tools, swim gear, knee pads, sling, weather cover, scoops, F250 truck with camper, $1000 worth of gas, hip waders, boots, several personal days off work and a few called in sick, treasure magazines, a computer used for hundreds of hours of research, camping fees, food, membership fees, entry fees, club raffles, park day use fees, road tolls, and a speeding ticket. That's probably why they call it a hobby. Now I'm second guessing this whole thing. :(

Last edited:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not yet Griz.....Ace 250 is close....but then I bought a Minelab Safari and a propointer...so i still have a long way to go....

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends how you figure it. I sold two hundred dollars worth of silver once and still regret it . If you add the total estimated value of all my finds then, yes it paid for itself many times over. However, since I collect or give away my finds, then no I have not recovered the cost of my detectors, digging tools, swim gear, knee pads, sling, weather cover, scoops, F250 truck with camper, $1000 worth of gas, hip waders, boots, several personal days off work and a few called in sick, treasure magazines, a computer used for hundreds of hours of research, camping fees, food, membership fees, entry fees, club raffles, park day use fees, road tolls, and a speeding ticket. I guess that's why they call it a hobby. Now I'm second thinking this whole thing. :(

Remember, they call a boat a hole in the water that you throw money in. All hobbies have their costs. Just think what golf costs and all you find are used tees and old golf balls! I think if you have a MD that cost $500 and you find a gold coin worth $600 your machine has paid for itslef whether you sell that coin or not. And, as stated several times, there is that singular joy of a good, solid hit!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine paid for itself in one day, with a ton left over :headbang: Bought the detector and when I was crossing the street to get to my car, I was struck by someone that ran a stop sign. :tongue3:

OK, that really didn't happen, but it could have :laughing7:

By the way, if you're looking for that really big score, don't hold your breath either :tongue3:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrizLeeBear said:
Remember, they call a boat a hole in the water that you throw money in. All hobbies have their costs. Just think what golf costs and all you find are used tees and old golf balls! I think if you have a MD that cost $500 and you find a gold coin worth $600 your machine has paid for itslef whether you sell that coin or not. And, as stated several times, there is that singular joy of a good, solid hit!

Oh, that reminds me. I also collect old golf balls. Here's two from last week.

View attachment 747077

H Digs :)

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Mine paid for itself in one day, with a ton left over :headbang: Bought the detector and when I was crossing the street to get to my car, I was struck by someone that ran a stop sign. :tongue3:

OK, that really didn't happen, but it could have :laughing7:

By the way, if you're looking for that really big score, don't hold your breath either :tongue3:

You mean I can breathe now? OK thanks :)

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
over the years i have more than payed for all of my equipment.and i have quite a collection of relics that i have found.i am not a coin collector so i sell most of my silver coins except pre 1900 and some of the walking liberty's i keep.by nature i guess you could say i am cheap i would never payed over a 100 bucks for a set of headphones but selling a gold ring i found easy to justify it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread