Beach Availability Question

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When most people think of beach hunting the fist image we get is of those beaches on the east, gulf or west coasts. There are also many lakes in the country that people use. My question is this: Is metal detecting banned on any beaches near you? By banned I mean by actual ordinance and signs. Beaches are a great renewable resourse for hunting with a metal detector. I think we would all appreciate input from those who know. (Not fair to tell us your favorite beach is banned!)

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting question. There is a State Park near me where the only place you can MD is at the lake's beach, in the sand. However, only at times where MD'ing won't interfere with beach goers.

Jay

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most inland ones here are a go.
The great lakes ones,as in some of the bigger state Parks that allow,certain areas of them allow detecting.

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called our local state park last week to find out if MDing was permitted. I got a rude "NO, and if you are caught in the park doing so its a $5,000 fine". Really? $5,000!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When most people think of beach hunting the fist image we get is of those beaches on the east, gulf or west coasts. There are also many lakes in the country that people use. My question is this: Is metal detecting banned on any beaches near you? By banned I mean by actual ordinance and signs. Beaches are a great renewable resourse for hunting with a metal detector. I think we would all appreciate input from those who know. (Not fair to tell us your favorite beach is banned!)

Grizleebear, what do you mean by " ... an actual ordinance.." ? Do you mean an actual *specific* wording saying "no metal detectors" ? Because there's a lot of people here who would say that things that can be morphed to apply can ALSO forbid detecting. You know, like cultural heritage verbage, or "alterations" (aka digging) clauses, etc.... And they might go and ask someone if that applies to md'ing (wanting to "be safe" and "do the right thing"). And when they're told "no you can't detect", they would surmise that ....... therefore ......yes, their beach is "off-limits". And they might even consider that to fit your question of "actual ordinance". Since it's been said-so, by whomever they've asked.

So let us know whether you meant by actual specific verbage, using the specific words "metal detecting".

Where I'm at, I know of no beaches that have verbage *specifically* saying to metal detecting. But yes, I know of a lot, that if you asked long enough, and hard enough, I'm sure you would find things that could be-made-to-say "no detecting". Fortunately, no one has taken it upon themselves to do that, so ........ you can detect here till you're blue in the face.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One State Park near me whole park, and beach open to metal detecting(per their web site) another close by open to md'ing, but restricted area only. Some in Michigan not at all

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most all of the lakes here are man made. As long as you aren't stealing water (God help you if you take even a gallon), they don't care.

I could probably build a full size replica of a viking ship and burn it on the water without drawing so much as a "be careful".

We are very laid back here.

WM

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Grizleebear, what do you mean by " ... an actual ordinance.." ? Do you mean an actual *specific* wording saying "no metal detectors" ? Because there's a lot of people here who would say that things that can be morphed to apply can ALSO forbid detecting."

Yes, I understand. I suscribe to the theory that we never ask in advance. However, in my experience places that forbid it usually post a sign. So, I guess that is what I mean. I've seen parks that, as you walk in, there is a sign listing numerous "no-no's" No Pets, No Skateboards, No kite flying, No drinking, No Metal Detecting, etc. So my question is within that realm.

I saw a beach once that did not allow metal detecting between the hours of 9:00 and sunset, on the theory that was when most of the beach goers were there. I asked a life guard about the sign and was told that some beach goers got very upset with the concept of metal detectors in their midst.

So, is it visibly banned?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yup "visibly banned". If people don't see you.... then ... gee I guess they can't dislike it. ;)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently read a very good book called Coin Shooting by Steve Lehto. He states an interesting point that there is a legal latin saying that means "The expression of one is the exclusion of all others." Basically, if the rules say No dogs, no ball playing then all other lawful activities are presumed allowed. Now, i'm not saying this is written in stone somewhere, but thought it worth noting in this thread.

Jay

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakeport State Park, Lakeport Michigan Their site has a picture of a guy detecting and list it as one of the activities to enjoy, during your stay. Has a large campground, Lake Huron Beach, as well as a Day Use area, with playground,pick-nick area, and access to the beach, in case your not camping, you can still use the park. Very nice park, been going there since the 70's, all tho I will say I did no metal detecting in the 70's........................I dont think Yes it is true some places realy invite you to metal detect!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread