??Gold readings??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on the size of the gold object . The item array you gave as examples (rings, etc...), have a wide range of sizes, shapes, karots, etc....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings are alloyed with different metals and they all have different conductivity ranges. Basically if you disc out pull tabs you are missing around 90% of the gold rings..... Most of the others are in the foil range.

NRA.jpg

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will it have a solid repeatable signal when hit N/S,E/W..I've notices some objects read differently when approached from different directions?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will it have a solid repeatable signal when hit N/S,E/W..I've notices some objects read differently when approached from different directions?

That is why many of us don't trust the meters on those MD's. A coin tilted will do this too.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Again, just like your first question, whether or not it has a "solid repeatable signal" will depend on the size of the object, how deep, angle, your machine, how well centered you are, etc...

Do not get caught up in the thinking that different metals somehow "sound different", and .... that you might figure out gold, verses aluminum or something else. If anyone comes on here telling you that gold rings (or gold coins, or gold whatever) can be differentiated by sound or tones or solidness, etc..., here's what you do:

Quickly take that person out to the nearest inner-city blighted junky park. Turn them loose and see how much gold they can find, while leaving even most of the aluminum behind. I think you will find that they quickly abandon their claims. Unfortunately, aluminum and gold, size-per-size, share the same conductivity levels.

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guess I just dig it all. Get some 5 gal. buckets . 1 short iron 1 alum. and head to the scrap yard when i fill them.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly!!..................HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks, guess I just dig it all. Get some 5 gal. buckets . 1 short iron 1 alum. and head to the scrap yard when i fill them.

Robgwv, there is a lot of people who will advise that the recipe of how-to-find gold jewelry, is to "lower your disc", is not the WHOLE recipe. It's only part of the method. Because, think of it: keeping your disc. low, and accepting foil and tabs is already a "given". Yet to simply tell someone "go lower your disc, head to a junky park, and dig junk till your arms fall off" is NOT the recipe for finding gold. The bigger part of the equation is WHERE you hunt. Go hunt swimming beaches. The factors for jewelry loss are much higher there , and thus your junk ratios aren't quite so punishing. Besides, digging in sand is easier anyhow :)

Cool waters shrink fingers. People lathering up with slippery suntan lotion. People in frolicking swimming and frisbee/ball throwing motions. And my favorite: People taking off their jewelry for "safe keeping" .... doh! :)

OP
OP
robgwv

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in West Virginia, Beachs are kinda rare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions