How to hunt cemeteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I've seen where several people talk about hunting old cemeteries, I had a little time the other day and went to one but just wasn't sure how to hunt it so for the most part I just went along the edge of the drive. I just felt a little uncomfortable when I searched around the grave sites. Is that a personal thing or is there any grave yard etiquette I should know about? Dan

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go to the Local Churches And tell them You would like to do this, Then Go to your local Newspaper and Tell them just what you said here about your past memories & what you would like to see done, and have them post it & say your looking for Volunteers. & or Donations, to get it done. GOOD LUCK & KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS. If you need suggestions once you get going, JUST ASK ; jeff DON'T FORGET, do your part with your detector, to find parts of the Cemetery, like long lost Fenceing, GAR STARS, etc. ; The appreciative public will reward you with many leads.

Sompa

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
I live in a fairly "compact" housing community, but just down the street there's a wooded area in which lies a (family) cemetary with stones showing mid to late 1800's.....very over grown...to the point that I doubt hardly anyone even knows it's there. Anyway....it's not the cemetary I'm interested in (not my bag), but I am interested in the home(s) that may have been associated with this cemetary. There are no old homes in the area now......current community went up in the 70's. I've researched old maps and seached the names on the stones with no luck. My question is.....is there a general distance from a family cemetary that the associated home(s) may be? I'm sure that where ever it is a "new" house sits on that site....but if I could pin point it...I'd get permission to hunt!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would probably be best to research the names, at the Court house & try to find out where these people lived this way. that or ask at the Historical Society if you have one. GOOD LUCK, jeff

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
TORRERO said:
freeze12 said:
There is an old cemetery not to far from where i live. It has graves from the 17 & early 1800's. It has been abandoned for a LOoong time & it is overgrown with trees & brush & the Headstone are either fallen down,broken or not legible anymore. I do not think that many people know of this Cemetery as is is not listed & out of site & abandoned. I too have no problems detecting the small Graveyard & only will do within reason & respect.
Now for the snow to mely & the ground to thaw & try out My new Minelab Quattro!!

Any roads go through the middle of it ??
Beware of boxes 4 feet deep in the roadbeds....
The nearest road is a distance from this old cemetery. It is off the beaten track & not known by a lot of people.

piratepete

Jan 18, 2005
I know i sound like a naesayer, but i dont think graveyards should be MD'd-out of respect. not only is it disrespect, but those who know you are doing it are sure to think less of you if you need to dig in a graveyard just to find something.
sorry,
pete

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are actual laws against? taking anything from a cemetery, that belongs there. in most, if not all states. YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION to detect them. I don't know IF the Property Owner can over-ride the laws, but, either way, it is a very Contriversal subject.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I believe I posted this elswhere, but when I talked to a state historian, on the subject, he was Veague on what constitutes Cemetery Property. but due to the fact I had "SPECIAL" permission , may have been why..................? I was allowed to keep all coins, and Jewelry, even tho I insisted in donateing a Wide Selection of coins. Including ALL the JEWELRY........ The GAR (Civil War Vetrans Markers) were to be turned over to the VFW state headquarters for Replacement.? all Grave Yard Artifacts went to the Catholic Church, along with the items I donated.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The State Historian was there posting signs like you would see at an ARCHIOLOGICAL DIG, warning passers by it was a Federal offence to remove or destroy ANYTHING

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Thanks Jeff and everyone who posted here....I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I would never dig up a grave but I just felt like if someone saw me they would not only have a poor opinion of me but metal detectors as a whole. I'm sure that there is potential for history and such to be recovered but at what price?
I like the restoration ideas and may pursue that avenue but as for now I think I'll just stick to the parks , schools and other places where it doesn't matter that someone thinks I'm capitalizing on someone else's loss. ::)

D

Darod

mvSwatt,

I think Jeff's entire standpoint on this (correct me if I'm wrong Jeff) is that he would hunt a cemetery only with permission and NOT for personal gain,...even if he's told he can keep the goodies he finds.

Personally, I would love the chance to hunt a cemetery that has long been forgotten and neglected. The whole restoration thing is exactly why I'm into detecting in the first place!

Personal gain is cool in it's place but if I had a chance to hunt a 18th century graveyard and find some truly historical items for the good my local community,..WOW what a blast! I think I'm in the same mind set as Jeff in terms of retaining the goodies. Again, correct me if I'm wrong Jeff,...I would donate everything to the appropriate organization for historical purposes and feel REALLY GOOD about myself and what I've done for the community.

In a nutshell,...total restoration of an important local/historical site and no personal gain in terms of "goodies". That'll get ya a ticket to heaven ;)

Rod

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost Completly Right Rod ; Yes ONLY with Permission, in the case of Restoration, and Yes I would hunt cemeteries, without getting anything, but the Good Feelings of doing it. However, the one I did, I did get to keep alot of the coins, as per our agreement...... . HOWEVER I ALSO TOOK SOMETHING FROM THEM,,,,,,,? which was the memory of doing this,,,,,,? which was the most "Priceless" thing I ever could get.? ? ? ? ? ?as for a ticket to heaven ? not on my agenda.? ;D? besides I'm working on IMORTALITY here on earth, so I can Detect for ever? :D? HH;? Jeff

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
US Roots Gen Web Projects include finding and recalling all possible info from all those lost and forgotten cemetaries in many states. If you know of one, check your states site and maybe you can make a helpful contribution and who knows? maybe find some new sites!!
http://www.usgenweb.org/

V

Vingamel

Ever noticed that living people get a lot more upset than dead folks do? I ran my metal detector over a bunch of dead dudes, and not a one of them gave a peep; then I did the same with some gals walking past, and they beat me over the head with their purses. Tip: Don't metal detect living people--they don't like it when you dig through their pockets.

Brady

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Lowbatts while I was big in genealogy I'd search old cemetaries for names and information, I used to love to post surnames on the web in an effort to help others with their searches. It was very rewarding.

hurricaneplumber

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2005
Upstate NY
I would detect in one, but remember that some loved ones deposit coins or trinkets to leave with the person in the grave, in which case it could be classified as taking away their memories.

In our state the burial plot is your property, so technically permission comes from the owner of the family plot. You own that amount of land square footage, not the state.

My father runs a cemetary and I will be detecting this summer to help him find some of the lost plot markers. If I pull up a gold coin by someones headstone, I think I would put it back.

I had the same renovation idea for one that we have out in the woods, maybe a good summer project this year.

For me it is all a judgement call.

By the way old cemetaries have graves that are not as deep as you think they are. Back then hand digging was hard and many times the depth was good enough when the diggers got tired. My dad had a woman exhumed to be moved, the only thing left was part of a hip bone, and that was from the early 1800s.

terryb31

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
state forest property you better check and then check again before walking near it with a detector.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Topic is closed.......Thread is locked and closed..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions