woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Bounty Hunter Junior (sometimes sold under other names such as "Fun Finder" but always with the BH trademark) is a real metal detector, sized for kids that age and very easy to use. Available lots of places typically for about $60.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the budget allows, the Tesoro Compadre is a turn and go detector that will amaze you. About $160 new. Lifetime warranty. The kids won't outgrow it and it out performs detectors costing much more. Do a search for reviews on the Compadre and see how good it is. I haven't heard anyone complain about one yet. This detector will give you kids a better chance of success and they will be hooked! Oh yeah, and you will probably never need to use that lifetime warranty!

bcbear

Greenie
Feb 11, 2013
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son purchased a BH Junior with his Christmas money and has had a great time with it. My son is 8 and we have been on several hunts with it and found some clad coins, pliers, shotgun shells, etc. It has found some items around 4" and has a very basic discrimination dial, which is termed "eliminator" on the unit. It has been so fun to hunt with him it inspired me to buy my own detector and we have found it to be a great father & son time. For $60 you can't go wrong.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second the vote for the Compadre. In my own slightly-less-than-humble opinion, the Compadre is the cheapest thing that can be called a "real metal detector." It will give you better depth, better discrimination, and noticeably superior build quality. It's just a solid, little machine. It also has a reputation for being fond of small, gold chains that more expensive detectors can miss (assuming stock 5.75" coil)! If you want to think of the detector as an investment, then the Compadre has the lifetime warranty and holds its value quite well. You can buy it new with warranty for $160 and sell it used without warranty for $100 easily. Tesoro is known for quality equipment and they back it up with lifetime service. Because of this, there are plenty of cost-cutters waiting for a slightly cheaper Compadre. What the cheaper Bounty Hunters do well, the Compadre does better. Plus it only has one knob: Off - All Metal - Conductivity Spectrum (Discrimination). If they tried to make it any simpler, it would only have an On switch.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre is a little big for most 5 and 7 year olds. It is a good detector no doubt but I would be afraid they would not be able to handle it. It would probably be fine for a 10 year old but kids younger than that might have a harder time. There is a similar thread over here where I talk about the pros and cons of the BH Junior:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...r-s-out-there-need-advice-my-kids-please.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread