How long after starting mding did it you to find your 1st silver coin?

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the second plug i ever dug was in my dads back yard, i pulled out four wheat pennies from the hole. about 4 or 5 days later i found a 53 rosey, about six or seven hours i would say all together.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 8 seconds. It was a 1936 quarter. Never forget it, still have it. But it was 1964, silver was everywhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
Great stories ! thx . I wanted to get a rough idea on the subject. Good luck everyone and HH!

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting just over a year ago and it took me about 3 months to find the first silver coin. I am up to 13. Be careful ignoring shallow signals, I have found silver just below the surface.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
About 8 seconds. It was a 1936 quarter. Never forget it, still have it. But it was 1964, silver was everywhere.

Foiler, what machine were you using in "1964" ? How deep would it detect a coin-sized target to? What type places did you hunt back then?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two years of no silver, but da*#it, i know it could be in the next plug i dig! Just a matter of time.

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about ten years ago, i expressed an interest in metal detecting. my family gave me a bounty hunter for christmas. it was a very inexpensive unit. i knew that a few friends were into detecting. i called them to show me the ropes, so to speak. after about two hunts with them and alot of practice in my front yard, i decided the detector was not up to snuff. i wanted to buy a better detector. i went two towns over to tanners md supply. on the way home with my whites xlt, we stopped at a home of a friend of mine. i found a 1925 buffalo nickle. the next day i found a merc in my parents front yard. so i found a keeper coin with two hours, i found silver the next day. hh david

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds Wit and Susan,thx for the reply. where did u two find your finds? (park,beach,etc)

Both the gold engagement ring and the first silver dime were found on shorelines, near beaches. I have really had great luck with jewelry and small silver, and found a seated dime on a school ground last summer, but just cannot find larger silver.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Both the gold engagement ring and the first silver dime were found on shorelines, near beaches. I have really had great luck with jewelry and small silver, and found a seated dime on a school ground last summer, but just cannot find larger silver.
Hi Susan, for large silver, old front yards are the best! Also, old fairgrounds and old picnic areas.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been at it a little over 2 years, and I haven't found a single silver coin, and not even a wheatie. I plan on hunting some more, better spots this year, and also plan on upgrading my machine to one that can find a coin past 3 inches...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been at it a little over 2 years, and I haven't found a single silver coin, and not even a wheatie. I plan on hunting some more, better spots this year, and also plan on upgrading my machine to one that can find a coin past 3 inches...

I don't feel so bad now. I did find a 1927 wheat last week. No silver yet. Every time I see a flash of color( pull tab ), my heart skips a beat.

Happy Hunting!

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first silver (1944 Merc and 1944 war nickel) about two weeks in but nothing since. Funny thing is, I was doing great with my Ace 250. Once I decided to upgraded to the AT Pro the MDing gods have frowned on me.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first silver about 1-1/2 weeks after getting my first detector. I got permission to hunt the yard of a little cottage in my neighborhood and found a 1936 quarter right off the sidewalk in the front yard. I was so excited! ...that was 17 years ago.

OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks again everyone for the input. I sat down and thought what would be a good thread that would help all of us out by sharing ideas. Like locations items were found. Hopefully all of our stories will help us out while where out md'ing . I just went out for about 15 minutes. I'm now four cents richer. lol at least the Pennies are real copper. Good luck & HH everyone

ridgecrawler

Jan 20, 2011
East central Ohio
Detector(s) used
ATPRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, I started hunting in 1969 with a used Compass detector. I was the first to hunt the parks churches and beaches in my area, the first day with a detector I dug many silver coins but no jewelry. I then went to a local beach and found seven gold rings plus a lot more silver.in one day I was hunting an old church and found a Nickle Three cent piece, that afternoon I went to a different church and found an 1851 O silver three cent piece, back then Pennys were indian heads or wheaties, silver coins were much more common than clads and easy to find, you were almost guarnteed gold at the beach. I wish each of you could go back in time and experince that kind of hunting.

tigger0254

Feb 28, 2013
Henryville IN
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT/Silver Sabre uMax....Garrett ProPointer,LescheTool, The Piranha/35
I guess Im very lucky then....I came home with my detector from the shop and within about 15 minutes I pulled a 1941 Merc from my front yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread