iam looking to buy my first detector but on a super tight budget

pureflow

Mar 18, 2013
hi acouple weeks ago I walk past a silver braclet on the ground in a dirt parking lot.it said 14k .I've been selling a lot of old hold jewlry but this is the first I've seen that was silver stamped as gold.I took it to the pawn shop and got 170 for it real easy.should have asked for more it weighed 4 penny weights siad 6 grams. and the other day I found this ring as soon as I pickdd it up I knew. yep its white gold.I found both these pieces with my built in gold detector.so know I've heard of gold detectors in the past but were way to much for me! but now Iam noticing the gold nugget finders are more I just want a md to comb the local parks and beaches? I live in san diego california iam surrounded by fields and parks and beaches I know a lot of people have lost a lot of jewlry.and most people don't even know the real value and just leave it.my girlfriend is all against me buying one thinks I wont find nothing but I figure it perfect reaspn to take my daughters to the park all the time. iam buying one with the cash I got from the gold bracelet so I have less than 200 bucks and I don't like to buy ofline afraid to put info like that online. so is the any local places I can buy one cheap or used? in san diego california.southern cali right by the tj border and the beaches.I heard gpod things about the compasre md but it seems alittle outa date with all the other I see for cheaper.iam a fast learner and a music producer so Iam sure I can pickup the different sounds easy and not aftid of buttons and learning! any advice will help a lot? thank you

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130319_165625.png
    ForumRunner_20130319_165625.png
    191 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pureflow

Mar 18, 2013
iam only looking for gold and silver jewlry and coins are alright but iam looking to dig deep to find gold nuggets.what md is best for jewley and my local parks and fields and beaches? there a real nice one for 300 on craigslist but yhey have pics of it with gold nuggets its found so I think its way too much for what iam trying to do.its called a lesoro gold demon I think? I want to buy one from walmart because there cheap and I can return it for another one if I don't like it? what do you think? thanks again

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only detector worth mentioning for less than $200 is the Tesoro Compadre ($160 new; lifetime warranty). It will have trouble in wet, salty sand, but it is designed for coin and jewelry hunting in a park. On its home turf, it's hard to beat. A machine fit for gold prospecting will cost several times as much, but the Compadre (with the 5.75" coil) is known to like small, gold chains that other detectors often miss. You can get one used for around $100, though it will have no warranty. Either way, it's the best you'll get for the money.

skennedy

Mar 23, 2013
I have a whites coin master pro and paid $ 280.00 including taxes I'm new to metel detecting to. I've found 1 gold ring worth about $40 bucks

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
ace 150 aint bad either

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice if your serious about getting into detecting is to drop some serious $$$$ on a good detector. At least $500 for a decent detector. I paid $1400 for mine and have already made more finds in two weeks than I did in two years with a $350 one. Whites V3i for the win holmes!!

The Gray Fox

Nov 14, 2012
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Scotty544, though if you're going to do it, invest a decent amount. I have the Ace 250 now and it has served me well for a couple years, but I would like to move up also. I've found great stuff with my 250, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see the vdi's and hear the different tones better then just a couple of default bells.

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
iam only looking for gold and silver jewlry and coins are alright but iam looking to dig deep to find gold nuggets.what md is best for jewley and my local parks and fields and beaches? there a real nice one for 300 on craigslist but yhey have pics of it with gold nuggets its found so I think its way too much for what iam trying to do.its called a lesoro gold demon I think? I want to buy one from walmart because there cheap and I can return it for another one if I don't like it? what do you think? thanks again

If you're looking for one that's under $200 and sold at Walmart, go for a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2. They go for about $170 and come with a pin pointer and carry bag. The more expensive detectors may go deeper, but I've used mine at local parks, fields and beaches and I'm finding plenty of coins and other things. Read some reviews and you'll find that this one is pretty effective for this price range. Have fun with whatever you can afford. :)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a Garrett ace 150 or better yet the Ace 250 for about $215 , & please don't sell your silver/gold to pawn shops ,they will rip you off almost every time.

Dylanger22

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett At-Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Also agree from earlier, save your money to get a better detector. My AT-Pro is soooooo much better than my Ace350 was. I mean no comparison whatsoever. Invest in a good $500+ machine and you won't need to upgrade later, because eventually you will. You may tell yourself that you won't, and that you'll "be fine" with a cheapie, but you will.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out my post Looking for deal/sale on first MD? posted today 3/27/2013. 2 Whites V/Sat $279.99 Free Shipping on Ebay. I know a V/Sat Goes for around $400 to $500. My Whites GMT hasV/Sat and I paid $500. You could fix one & keep the other or both for a friend. Good Luck. goldentruth

EnigmaKing

Greenie
Feb 13, 2013
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the vote for the Tesoro Compadre... Couldn't be simpler to use, works like a charm and the shaft and coil are waterproof. Plus it weighs next to nothing. Then as you find items you can sell, you can work up to a higher end detector and have the compadre for one of your compadres or as a backup/always in the car unit.

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice if your serious about getting into detecting is to drop some serious $$$$ on a good detector. At least $500 for a decent detector. I paid $1400 for mine and have already made more finds in two weeks than I did in two years with a $350 one. Whites V3i for the win holmes!!
Scotty this isnt an attack or meant to be an insult but could it be that your better at detecting now after two years of experiance? That has to be considered. Pureflow I wont give you a brand only a place to look, try the pawnshop you sold the bracelet. Since you have dealt with them they will probally be glad to sell you one in hopes of future gold buys.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest difference is that I have been detecting for 25 years but I digress. I am sure that the detector that I am using now is far superior to the older one because I used them head to head in a spot that had never been hit before. I took my older one three times over this small yard three different days, finding several coins, around 20 or so. All clad. Took my V3i out to the same spot and in two hour found about 30 including a silver dime. And found 5 clad dimes. I being the same each time, took a new, unfamiliar detector, first time out, and went over the exact same place, and cleaned up with it. The V3i is far superior and I believe that you will get what you pay for.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest difference is that I have been detecting for 25 years but I digress. I am sure that the detector that I am using now is far superior to the older one because I used them head to head in a spot that had never been hit before. I took my older one three times over this small yard three different days, finding several coins, around 20 or so. All clad. Took my V3i out to the same spot and in two hour found about 30 including a silver dime. And found 5 clad dimes. I being the same each time, took a new, unfamiliar detector, first time out, and went over the exact same place, and cleaned up with it. The V3i is far superior and I believe that you will get what you pay for.

You are so right. Not all the time a different MD helps but if you get one special designed for your type of hunt you can see improvement & success. When I started out I picked up a used "Treasure-Something"MD which was sold @Radioshack for $40.
I figured I could at least get some experience. I found artifacts, Brass, Coins,Pull Tabsetc. and tested & tested ground balanced.
I got a 1980s Tesoro GoldenSabre w/silent search Accept/ignore notch filters. I found in the Metal detector companys their Customer service Dept was 2nd to none. they offered me a free bench test to make sure it works 100%& includes any parts needed and free mail back! Excellent Coin machine. I had phoned them originally and told them it had a 9-Volt plug. The Service Dept said they were suprised it worked for me, it needed a battery pack which the 9-Volt Plug connects to, which holds several AA batteries!
I asked how much for the push-pull pins which 1 is broke, he said for me to give my PO BOX# and he would send the Battery Cover & Not Only the Pins but a whole new cover with pins! I now added a Whites MD for Gold search. I could find Gold with the Tesoro VLF but I would have to be right on top of it and of at 1 gram but the 40KZ Whites is more Sensitive for small 19 grain stuff which is common So the right design is the type not "superior" as you call it but what funtions best along with the area & skill with the right ground balance. Newer improved Machines can be better but as written, 30-40 years ago the old $100 MD.s in Alaska found More bigger gold Nuggets in 3 months worth 75,000 in todays prices than American Diggers had found 10,000 to 20,000 in a whole season with the leader having investors spend over 500,000 on Eqpt.Wages,& expenses. and the head of American Diggers Alaska said MD's were toys when asked at the outside table at the local store in Alaska when they first started the show. So early MD's did find the big stuff if ya knew where and how to search, Peace.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I need to come hunt near you lots of good stuff

Feb 15, 2013
northern,nh
Detector(s) used
whites m6,whites surf pi pro,whites amphibian II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locate a whites metal detector dealer in your area and get a coin master $160 read the reviews and watch you tube videos.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I suggest that you forget half of what you read here and take my sound advice, that is based on logic, not a whim :tongue3:

The good part is that you already set your price point, so stick to that and forget about saving up for a more expensive one. There are several reasons behind this, the first is you know what you can afford. Bravo. There's no need to get in over your head, especially if you never detected. This may not be the hobby for you, so why spend more than you need to, when you may use it a few times and hate it :dontknow:

You have already seen a few vote for the Tesoro Compadre that has a lifetime warranty and the Ace 250. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine. The beauty of this hobby is you don't need the biggest, or the best detector to find things, they all work well enough to give you the signal to dig.

Remember, no how much you end up spending, don't expect to get rich :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread