Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you finding dimes and quarters? If you are only finding pennies, it makes plenty of sense why you wouldn't be finding silver.

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
Are you finding dimes and quarters? If you are only finding pennies, it makes plenty of sense why you wouldn't be finding silver.

Mostly dimes and quarters. The pennies we do find are either wheat or 1970 and before ...

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My theory on the silver is that in the pre 1965 and years thereafter a dime or quarter was actually worth having, therefore people looked for them when they dropped them. Equals Less in the ground. That was close to 50 years ago now. also, those coins will be approaching max depth for lower and mid range detectors. Keep looking though!

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
My theory on the silver is that in the pre 1965 and years thereafter a dime or quarter was actually worth having, therefore people looked for them when they dropped them. Equals Less in the ground. That was close to 50 years ago now. also, those coins will be approaching max depth for lower and mid range detectors. Keep looking though!

That makes sense. We have the AT Pro and out of $90 dollars or so of clad we've found one merc and tonsssssss of wheats. Someone else said that people were more likely to pick up nickels/dimes/quarters over pennies, just like today. Just gotta keep on looking! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the area you're hunting has been previously searched by someone using a silver program. I've hunted with someone that did that. They didn't want pennies, nickels, or most of the junk metals so they just programed their machine for silver only.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're finding wheats, you would think there is definitely a little bit of silver hanging around somewhere.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cudamark. In a lot of places, maybe most sites, the silver was picked up long ago and new stuff didnt fall because it was pulled out of circulation. You can still get lucky now and then but mostly what's out there is clad.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your hunting parks, beaches, tot lots I think your chances of finding silver coins is a lot less than hunting yards/home sites. Example; This is my first year detecting, started in my yard, moved to beaches, then a couple parks, nothing but clad, and trash, hit demo house site......silver dime second day. Location.....location

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
I set my detector to ignore anything lower than a dime/penny (pre-1982) while at parks. I could miss gold rings but I believe that you have more of a chance finding a silver coin than a gold ring. Plus you won't waist your hunting time on pull tabs or other useless junk. I have dug up this year probably between 2 to 300 coins. Only five were silver. All dimes. Two merc's three rosies. All I can say is by the law of numbers keep digging and one will be a silver. Probably a dime. GD LK & HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jayg said:
I set my detector to ignore anything lower than a dime/penny (pre-1982) while at parks. I could miss gold rings but I believe that you have more of a chance finding a silver coin than a gold ring. Plus you won't waist your hunting time on pull tabs or other useless junk. I have dug up this year probably between 2 to 300 coins. Only five were silver. All dimes. Two merc's three rosies. All I can say is by the law of numbers keep digging and one will be a silver. Probably a dime. GD LK & HH

You have a better chance at finding a ring than silver at a hunted out park. The rings come in as junk and most people won't dig it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You proved my point. The guy I was hunting with was only able to dig just so many plugs in one day, so he limited it to silver readings only, He hunted lots of areas so it stands to reason that someone coming behind him would wonder the same thing......."I'm finding wheats but no silver, how come?"

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,
"Back Then" money was money and as it was seen it was picked up, at least that is what I did and that was without a detector.

My old 6000D could be truly "Super Tuned" so that I ran it in all metal mode. When I had a signal I did some testing of the target by flipping switches/turning knobs and this told me Truly what was in the ground. For a good year I dug every target so that I learned to believe the super tuning by confirming targets to what the machine told me and it never hardly ever goofed, brass water sprinklers caused it to hiccup. With today's machines a person should be able to do something similar but it takes effort to figure it out. Believe me, knowing what is in the ground is a real blessing..............63bkpkr

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectorists in the '80's and '90's really cleaned up the silver. I will say that when I upgraded my detector, I dug a lot of silver my second year out, and many were beyond 7" deep. Also, when you use a discrimination program, you can lose depth. One trick I use is to find the trashiest spots in the park, that's where the good stuff is hiding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions