Best way way to search old home sites?

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an ace 250 been out a few times still nothing good just curious where I should look I'm slowly working my way to the old cellar floor gotta clean all the branches out of the way I found the well it's still open I'm actually gonna take my underwater fishing camera and send it down there to see what's on bottom Ive read things saying look by the out house but that's the only thing I can't find or the indent in the ground where it would of been found where I think it may of been but I think it's to close to well any tips or suggestion and whats the best setting on this detector would be greatly appreciated as I'm still new to the detecting world

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering the same thing.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an ace 250 been out a few times still nothing good just curious where I should look I'm slowly working my way to the old cellar floor gotta clean all the branches out of the way I found the well it's still open I'm actually gonna take my underwater fishing camera and send it down there to see what's on bottom Ive read things saying look by the out house but that's the only thing I can't find or the indent in the ground where it would of been found where I think it may of been but I think it's to close to well any tips or suggestion and whats the best setting on this detector would be greatly appreciated as I'm still new to the detecting world

Awesome idea with the camera..

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I just don't know how to get stuff out of the bottom of the well if there is anything

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you use a spring loaded scoop, of course.
scoop.JPG

Wildco Ponar Grab Standard 9" x 9" Stainless Steel Scoop Steel Arms JW | eBay

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also known as a bottom grab sampler, according to my extensive 5 minutes of research. :)

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks that looks pretty sweet I have to assume there is something cool at the bottom

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd stay clear of the well :icon_thumright: Haven't you seen the movie 'The Ring", it's based on a true story :tongue3:

As far as the detector, just leave it in all metal and learn the beeps. There is no detector on this planet that is 100% accurate, so hear a bing, just dig away like silly :laughing7:

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it is kinda creepy being in the middle of the woods around that well. Yeah next time I go out its all metal mode

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that your site as most old home sites is going to have a lot of scrap and iron in the ground.Yup,all metal mode,swing low and slow and pick out all or at least most beeps to thin out all the scraps,it'll take some work I'm sure but once you get all the scraps and such outa the way you can start searching deeper for the goodies that may lie there.Good luck.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take a shovel and a sifter and scoop the stuff into the sifter while removing all the scrap AND good stuff

after you find all the good stuff sifting and remove the scrap - THEN I'd search with the detector for whatever may be left/deeper WHILE avoiding most of the annoying iron/scrap that was there to start with ;-)

You'll be amazed at how easy it is and the amount of stuff you'll find using this method!

If you don't already have a "sifter"

you can easily make one using an 8 ft 2x4 and some metal chicken wire/mesh sold at your local Home Depot/etc. for just a few bucks

cut 2 2x4s 2 ft long (and 2 at 21 inches) nail the face of the 2' pieces into the end of the 21" pieces so you have a 2ft square - cut the mesh to size and attach via pan-head type screws - use a piece of scrap plywood/etc. to make 2 small triangles and fasten to 2 of the corners diagonal from each other over top of the mesh to stiffen the frame of the sifter up - use the 6 inch left over 2x4 piece and cut it in 1/2 the long way - nail to opposite ends of sifter as handles and you're done - $10/$12 and you have a good sifter!

Last edited:

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good thing to take to a well is one of those retrieval magnets- @50# lifting ability. magnet size is @2"x3"x4" with a lifting ring to attach a rope. just a thought. Be CAREFUL around old wells and the like- don't fall/slip in. Take a friend and tie yourself off to something just in case. Most old wells were just hand dug and layed up with rock-no mortar joints- can be unstable when you start leaning over the edge.HH...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions