Metal Detecting on a Florida beach - permit required???

GeauxLSU

Apr 2, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*Hijacking this thread*:
My wife and I are considering a trip in the spring to the FL panhandle to hang a bit with our son in USAF. Will be staying in the Ft. Walton Beach area and plan to sweep the beaches a bit. I plan to have my son inquire about any rules on the stretch of USAF-controlled beach just West of Destin. Has anyone here ever detected on military-controlled rec areas?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted the beaches in Tarpon Springs area. I was in the water. The town beaches have parking meters. That seemed to be the only issues they had. Feed the meter or get a ticket. I hunted the beaches in
St. Petersburg without issue. There are also parking meters here.
On Honeymoon Island Beach, which is a state park, you are not allowed in the water, or on the dunes, but the sand in between is fair game.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting in Florida.

I'm going to the beach in and around the Port Charlotte, Florida area in June. I've read that I may need a permit from each county I want to use my metal detector on the beach. Is that true? If so, how do I go about doing this and how much is it? Thanks in advance! :icon_thumright:

Is it legal to metal detect on Florida beaches?
In Florida, metal detecting is allowed on beaches, but only in public areas and with the permission of a park manager. On a beach, a metal detector user must be careful not to stray onto private property or leased areas, unless given permission by the owner.Dec 17, 2018 I've heard some counties have permit requirements as well. I got a permit to look for sharks teeth in the Peace river online. I would look up the county and check their regulations. Good hunting, enjoy your visit.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know the beaches outside are "National Park areas", They asked me to leave! Rumors are that you can hunt the beaches in FL, but not in the surf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions