Terso Cbolia vs Fisher F4

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I have my choices narrowed down to these two . I can get them for the exact same price . I'm leaning towards the cbolia with its simplcity and no vdi fiquring they can put more effist on the audio intstead of breaking between the two . Also only been doing this a month and have used a ace 150 and delta 4000 . While the vdi is nice it just seems to be not that accurate . The only thing that has me worried with audio , would be depth , other than sound you really don't know how deep you are ? Also with audio.I fiqure less things to go wrong . Also general question on both detectors , I believe both have been out a few years . Have they made changes in technology or are you buying technology from orginial date of manfuture ?

Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea on those models, but as far as depth goes, I don't pay it much thought since I have a pro pointer to find the coin once I get the plug out, If you don't have a pin-pointer, man save your money and get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, the VDi lies to me every day on my F75. So I use a cheapo pinpointer by harbor freight. If the pinpointer can detect it before digging, I just probe for the target. If not, I dig a standard 3 inch plug and start searching for the target. The VDI is not always wrong, but I run some funky settings to get mine to work in a park surrounded by high tension wires and cell phone towers and such. I usually can tell how deep the target is by experience with the vdi. You may want to consider battery type, ground balance, and threshold on the two detectors. Hope this helps.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For coin sized/small objects, with my Tesoro, I raise the coil above the ground when I have a signal. The higher coil before the signal disappears the shallower the target. If I go six inches or more, I'll scan the area with the pinpointer and if I get a signal, I usually just have to cut a slit to get the target.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola is a GREAT machine BUT, it has a preset Ground Balance. The F4 allows you to Ground Balance in All Metal. This "could" give you an advantage in some soil conditions.

For $50 more, you could get a Tesoro Vaquero ($450.00) that kick both of these machine's butts in depth and sensitivity. - Just sayin..

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
I'm getting a very good deal between the two maybe I should ask about a deal on.that one .

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't discount the importance of being able to ground balance your detector - If you ever want to detect in areas of heavy mineralization, you will need the capability.

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Well I ordered the Cibola from Tom.Miller . Great guy by the way and a good deal . Hopefully I will like this one after a Ace 150 and Delta 4000

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned an F4. Best damn dime finder in the world! But I found not much else. I have a Fisher Impulse 8 (out of print) and a GB2. But I think Fisher dropped the ball on the F4. TTC

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Well good that makes me feel better anyway . Without the vdi I don't really think it helped much .

OP
OP
Dwight Frye

Dwight Frye

Apr 3, 2013
CHARLOTTE NC
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Well I got it today very excited . Looked great , felt great . But just my luck . It does not work property . Maybe two to four inches in ground at best . All coins the same . Hell my metal digging tool only eight inches . I have should bad luck . I tried all settings . Don't Think I'm doing something wrong . I even put the penny in the ground 4 inches at most and not a big hit . Darn

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cibola is a GREAT machine BUT, it has a preset Ground Balance. The F4 allows you to Ground Balance in All Metal. This "could" give you an advantage in some soil conditions.

For $50 more, you could get a Tesoro Vaquero ($450.00) that kick both of these machine's butts in depth and sensitivity. - Just sayin..

Hi Terry, I like to hunt deep in the desert and mountain areas of the South West. How well will Vaquero do compared to my already F75? I was looking at the F4 when I bought the F75, the F4 comes highly recommended. Right now I am looking at Minelab. I don't know if I can wait to save up for a 3030. What is your thoughts on the Soviergn GT for nugget shooting? Keep in mind I go deep on relics and work with highly mineralized soils.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry, I like to hunt deep in the desert and mountain areas of the South West. How well will Vaquero do compared to my already F75? I was looking at the F4 when I bought the F75, the F4 comes highly recommended. Right now I am looking at Minelab. I don't know if I can wait to save up for a 3030. What is your thoughts on the Soviergn GT for nugget shooting? Keep in mind I go deep on relics and work with highly mineralized soils.

I have never used a multi-frequency machine for nuggethunting - or the Vaquero. I have used the Tesoro Lobo, Whites GMT, and the Goldbug II, as well as Minelab SD and GPX machines. Check out what Steve H. has to say about the F75 and nuggetshooting - Fisher F75 Special Edition & Gold Nugget Detecting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cibola should do much better than that unless you're in really badly mineralized ground or had the discrimination turned way up. What's it do with an air test? If you don't find the problem it's probably worth sending it in to Tesoro. They're very accomadating and generally have a fairly quick turn around time.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cibola should do much better than that unless you're in really badly mineralized ground or had the discrimination turned way up. What's it do with an air test? If you don't find the problem it's probably worth sending it in to Tesoro. They're very accomadating and generally have a fairly quick turn around time.
luvsdux

He hooked it up wrong. Rusty got him on the right track and it's all good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions