rpl782002

Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I consider myself mostly a coin hunter. Mainly going after the old silver, not trying to detect any of the nickle range, etc. I have been given sole access to an abandoned school yard which looking at the old 1950 maps, hasn't changed much from today. My problem is i'm finding mostly 1970's era of clad, and only a few wheat pennies. I did find one liberty dime a few inches down.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for hunting these types of areas for the old coins? 1964 and older. I'm using an AT Pro and have done my best to learn it well. Only been at the sport for a few months, but have spent many hours with the detector. I've gotten decent at finding coins within 4-5 inches and even coins on their sides, which i'm surprised at how many I find like that. "vertical".

I'm using the 5x8 coil almost exclusively as it does so well pinpointing. Should I be using the stock 8.5 coil to try to reach deeper depths? I know the coins are there, and it hasn't been hunted much at all. Wanted to hear from a few more experienced than I.

I know I can't always trust my detectors numbers as too what type of coin it is (although i've been very impressed by it's accuracy), but more focus on the tone, and try to visualize it in the ground. However at deeper depths, I struggle here, and know I just need more experience with the machine. Be willing to dig more trash.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also be interested in hearing responses from AT Pro users about deep coins, 6"+. I have read a few comments and it seems a consensus that sometimes you will only get a tone in one half of a swing (left but not right) and I've also read where some only get a solid tone with no VDI. I have personally dug a tone with no VDI where I could only get the tone in one direction. Meaning left and right but when I checked 90 deg. to first swing I got nothing. Turned out to be an Indian Head Penny at pushing 10 to 11". After finding the IH I found it hard to walk away from similar situations but have only dug trash since then.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may not be your technique or your detector. Silver coins are few and far between. Some hunt for years and never find one. Don't think a place has never been hunted much, I have found my best finds in odd areas that I think people would never hunt. All the old schools and parks I hunt end up giving only a couple silver coins. Keep your chin up and good luck! When you read the posts on here you would think the coins are everywhere.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
How old is the school and when was it abandoned? I'd try and figure out where the playground was. Maybe old swing sets etc. Also if there was a ball field. I went to a country school. About 80 kids when I went but it had been a high school too until the 40's. There were still privys in the 60's even though there was indoor plumbing. I can just see some kid tryin to get the bibbers unhooked while running to them,
I'd dig all signals. If trash ya won't have to worry about them on your next trip. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread