First post here, looking for some advice on a first metal detector.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing this get asked too much already...I'm sorry! :BangHead:

I live in Michigan and would like something that works well in the brown soil there. I'm mainly interested in finding coins, but of course anything that I get is awesome. I'm also looking to spend $200, maybe $250 for a good starter detector that won't leave me disappointed after a year of use.

I'm also curious what kinds of places I could look. I see a lot of posts about going through the woods. Do people just walk through the woods randomly, or just paths or what? I'm thinking ideal places are like the old abandoned drive in by my house, and stuff like that. Maybe check out a fairground after they pack it up.

How hard is it to learn? I think whatever one I end up with, I'll check out some youtube videos specific to that model to get some pointers.

What extra equipment will I need?

Sorry for all the questions.

oh and I'm gonna be all over the coin roll hunting forum too. I can't believe I'm just now finding this place!

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advice I have for you is to spend a couple of evenings reading posts on this Forum asking similar questions. There are tons of them. Once you have learned everything you can online, visit a dealer and try out the ones you are interested in.

Last edited:

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too spent a similar amount on my first detector. I got a Garrett Ace 250 and it worked well for a starter. BUT if you are like me and many others, an upgrade will be desired in a years time tops. Lol. I recently got a Garrett AT Pro and I am doing well with it. The main reason I chose the AT Pro was for its versatility but again, I am already looking for another detector to add to my line-up! I am looking into quality used detectors this time in hopes I can get a higher end machine without breaking the bank. Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun!

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. If you have a local dealer, "metal detector sales" They will usually try to help you figure things out. If you don't I have heard that Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is a great help. You can find him in the vendors section of the forum. Good luck.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche hand digger
Finds bag
Kneepads
Gloves

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have very little experience, but maybe that can help! I started a couple weeks ago and bought a Tesoro Silver uMax on craigslist for 175, and they are 250ish new. It has a LIFETIME warranty. I researched it for a few days before buying, and I was able to find PLENTY of reviews stating things such as "Goes further than 6 inches down", "As good as any detector twice its price", etc, etc, but was I wasnt able to find many of is bad reviews... maybe a couple?.. I honestly dont remember reading any horrible ones. I have been at it for the couple weeks now and have found plenty of trash up to 10 inches down haha! I have found Pennies, Dimes, and Quarters as well ranging from 1-5 inches deep. A few dollars in clad and a Silver quarter that was aroudn 4 inches down. SO! If you are looking for a detector for coins in parks, lawns, fields, etc then this one CAN and WILL find them for your pricerange with a lifetime warranty.

I have ZERO experience with any other detector, but I just wanted to give you my brief experience with this detector. I can already agree wholeheartedly with the others saying after a year you will want a better one anyway, and well.... I will definitely want another one next year. BUT! for now I cant afford a better one! And this is finding silver :)

My 2 cents

-Kookie

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bart is in Moore Oklahoma where those tornadoes tore the city up so he probably can`t get on the net for a while...i`m praying for Bart and his family.
Gary

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche hand digger
Finds bag
Kneepads
Gloves

If you are going to get an expensive digger, then order the Ace 350 from BigBoyHobbies. It comes with one if you buy online and it also has headphones that I believe are a critical accessory. I have one and it works far better than expected. I pulled a bunch of coins from dry sand over the weekend and they were easily 12 - 14 inches down.

Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector - Garrett | BigBoysHobbies

On the beach I just wear cargo shorts and use one side for good stuff and the other side for junk. I am not cool with wearing a finds apron. Kneepads don't work for me either. I have a gardening kneepad that I use.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr helton - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As someone already said above, the F2 with the 2 coil package would be a great starter. Comes with a pin pointer and a 4" sniper coil for a little flexibility. The pin pointer is ho-hum but better than nothing to pin point with. Several sites online have them for like $215.

An alternate good choice might be the Tesoro Compadre or a Garrett Ace250.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever u decide remember to think about what kind of detecting u wanna do what works good for 1 may not for another research it out no point in buying anything just cause of the bells & whistles its what works for u if u can find a dealer that can let u test out a couple probly the way to go good luck & welcome to the sight lots of information on here

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, Helton, to the best treasure site on the net! First, BUY LOCAL! We like to think we take care of our own. By buying local, you will also get continued after-purchase support and tips. Second, whatever you buy, don't call it quits with the MD until you've put the suggested 100 hours on it. Go where people gather/gathered to do the best collecting for your time. Personally, I would suggest taking notes. Yes. At least until you have several hours on the machine. It is difficult to remember all the parameters that go with finding good things in good places. You will begin to see info that seems to pop up in all the good places. Written notes will confirm that info, saving constant hit-and-miss digging. And last, I will look for you and break my MD stem over your head the next time you apologize for asking a ligitimate question! Take care, my friend. TTC

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart is in Moore Oklahoma where those tornadoes tore the city up so he probably can`t get on the net for a while...i`m praying for Bart and his family.
Gary

Did not know he was located there. Prayers from my family to his

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bought a Garrett Ace 350 from Miller MDZ and couldn't be happier with it! There will be certain members chiming in shortly telling you that Garrett's are only good for cleaning parks and finding bottle caps, but pay no attention! :tongue3:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works for then that's all that matters my Atpro works great for me in some areas then my v3i then vise versa depends on what ur hunting all conditions matter & of course u get to know ur detector as well

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with JSMITH. I did the same thing and bought an Ace 250 to start with. After 3 months I out grew it and wanted something a little more and went with the At Pro as well. My advice to anyone starting out would be to start with a detector in the $450 - $700 range. Brand is not important because everyone has their favorite brands they use but just about every manufacturer has compatible models in the $450 - $700 range. Each has it's good points and most are pretty equal.

Learning your machine is the most important part of detecting.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thank you all for the helpful responses, I have quite a bit of research to do with all the new information that I got here.

I want to try to get my wife into it as well because we're always looking for things to do together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions