hrangelotti

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2013
tallahassee
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so i went to an inland state park today and talked to some rangers about detecting at the lake beach and playground areas and was told to contact the park manager so i did. She told me i couldnt detect unless i had lost something. she seemed disgusted that i told her that i was doing it for fun anyway i suggest that we all come up with an invention thats a coil big enough to fit in our shoes or the palm of our hands and earbuds with a tiny little water proof control box that picks up metal objects at least six inches deep. i tried to explain that i wouldnt make a mess.. i would be cleaning up the beach and not destroying any plant life if thats what this law is all about but she sure didn't want to hear it just wondering if you guys know why this law was made where you can detect on beach state parks but not inland state parks in florida? why is it so frowned apon for the inland state parks? but seriously the lady made me mad and i really wanted to detect anyway if it weren't for the fact that i would be breaking the law.. i would have. there are plenty of other places to detect i know but it's just that i know there are so many lost treasures in that water lol i just wanted to find them.. treasure hunting fever has set in for me

Upvote 0

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks man....I live in ks....most ppl could care less... But, the history here isn't nearly as in depth as there...hell, most townships were started 1850ish

-beav3r

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know it IS the law? Did you look it up? Maybe she's just having a bad day or her boyfriend would rather metal detect and she's taking it out on you for reminding her of that fact! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

hrangelotti, you ask: " why is it so frowned apon for the inland state parks? " Because multiple people over the years before you, have gone in to her, like you just did, and asked about rules and laws. Thus she has developed "a routine" of answer rhetoric to "address your pressing issue". Welcome to the "no one cared till you asked" club. Keep it up, and pretty soon beaches will be off limits too. Just takes a bunch of us to go asking FL state archies "can I?" and I bet they develope rules for the beaches there too. Be sure to show up with arrow heads and shovels in hand, lest they not get the full implication of your question, and I gaurantee it will some day extend to the beach too.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any meaningless jewelry you can "lose" while visiting? Or should I say "plant"?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hrangelotti, you ask: " why is it so frowned apon for the inland state parks? " Because multiple people over the years before you, have gone in to her, like you just did, and asked about rules and laws. Thus she has developed "a routine" of answer rhetoric to "address your pressing issue". Welcome to the "no one cared till you asked" club. Keep it up, and pretty soon beaches will be off limits too. Just takes a bunch of us to go asking FL state archies "can I?" and I bet they develope rules for the beaches there too. Be sure to show up with arrow heads and shovels in hand, lest they not get the full implication of your question, and I gaurantee it will some day extend to the beach too.

I agree 100%. Sad thing is that's its already started, St. Augustine beaches are now off limits to detect, and unfortunately I see the domino effect coming. As soon as one or two start everyone else wants to jump on the banning bandwagon.
I wish people would do a bit more research and quit stirring the pot when it doesn't need to be, quit knocking over the first dominos and we'd all be better off.
If its not written no anywhere, please folks don't make em write it! (if that makes since?)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree 100%. Sad thing is that's its already started, St. Augustine beaches are now off limits to detect, and unfortunately I see the domino effect coming. As soon as one or two start everyone else wants to jump on the banning bandwagon.
I wish people would do a bit more research and quit stirring the pot when it doesn't need to be, quit knocking over the first dominos and we'd all be better off.
If its not written no anywhere, please folks don't make em write it! (if that makes since?)

thanx NW-digger for chiming in.

You use the word "domino effect", which is so true. And it works like this: when one faraway place, no matter how remote or isolated got a "no detecting" rule, way-back-when" (in the '70s or whatever), word circulates amongst md'rs. Like, even before the internet, such information was dispensed via FMDAC newsletters, for instance. And it sounded like a good idea to "spread the word" and "join in solidarity to fight such things", right? But the curious thing that followed, was the exact domino effect you speak of: When someone reads any such "scary story", what's the immediate thing they run and do ?? ASK AT THEIR OWN locations, or their own state, or their own county, and so forth. Afterall, they "don't want to be the next casualty of an 'arrest' or 'citation' now do they?" Doh And then the self-fulfilling psychology kicks in, where they find themselves "no's", where ........ quite frankly ..... there had never been a problem before! I saw this happen first-hand, and ....... when you connected the dots, it became evident how it gets going :( Thus when those additional places got "no's", word spread about them too. So guess what happens with those "additional scary stories"? MORE PEOPLE RUN AND ASK EVEN MORE, thus only perpetuating the same nonsense. It's as if we can be our own worst enemy, eh?

In my city, and on my beaches, you can detect till you're blue in the face (as long as you're not being a nuisance in some other way). But I have no doubt that if enough people went asking "can I?", that the "pressing question" would be bandied back and forth between various bureaucratic desks (lawyers, archies, etc...) and they'd tell us "no". Moral of the story ?

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
You could always accuse the Rangers of making the Beach an "Attractive Nuisance" and sue them for any jewelry you lose there.
They should warn you not to take jewelry to the beach or risk the consequences. Since they don't do either, they should
certainly let you search for your lost items. Our law is based on "What would a reasonable man do?" If you lose something
isn't it reasonable to go search for it?
The problem comes in when you ask permission. If they give you permission they feel it makes them liable. Don't ask permission.
It is highly unlikely that they will give you a ticket or spend their time going to court to punish you. The most they would do is to
tell you to leave, then you can ask which law you broke. Have to have a law that's broken to get arrested or it isn't worth their time.
Just my opinion.
Rich

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Treasure finder....You should find out what law applies...Not knowing that you are breaking the law is not an excuse..Knowing what the punishment would be should be known..If you are going to push the law that should be planned for...Do your homework and try to find a way around the law..If you get caught was it worth it...I have pushed the envelope a few times and got away with it...Art

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Good points Art,
I normally wouldn't push it where all my equipment (car, luggage, etc) is at risk or if the loot is minimal. I normally check out an area
with nothing more than a camera and some dowsing or LRL equipment (no shovels). I once located a target 22 feet deep in a city
park with an LRL from Dell Winders. It was a known target and confirmed with a Ground Penetrating Radar. The city wouldn't
give permission and there it sits. I was only a minor partner, but a thrill anyhow.
Rich

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
You are correct....I am willing to lose a $4 set of Dowsing rods but some of my expensive tools are off limits...When I locate a signal with some of my tools I don’t know how far they are from me...I don’t know where I am going to end up when following that signal..Sometimes they end up in a fenced military area or next to a freeway...That is where you have to be careful and understand what may happen to you...Art

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Art,
I was in the Army, so I don't want to mess with their thinking on their security. I was with a great oil dowser a few years ago and
he located a pool on a bombing and gunnery range. We were standing outside the fence watching the bombing runs at the time
so no entry ever.
Incidentally this dowser was getting royalties off of some of his oil finds.
Another time I had my LRL transmitter running and I was at the back of my vehicle getting a soda when a Ranger drove up and
stopped behind me. He just sat there waiting for me to do whatever. I walked over to my LRL and picked up a soda can next
to it and the LRL and walked back to my vehicle. I closed the back, got in and drove off. This was in a National Park! And yes,
I had a good signal line.
Rich

Jun 12, 2013
Birmingham
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detectors are very useful now unlike before, We often used these for military and even in malls used by some security officers.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this high tech at the airport and they could have been using dowsing rods and LRL's for a fraction of the price!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I think we all know why MD got a bad rap - it is because of the inconsiderate MD'ers (back in the day) leaving a mess (holes, etc.) behind them - period. All we can do now is stay within the legal boundaries and change peoples opinions by helping citizen's find lost rings, clean up behind us, etc. And for goodness sake - whether you agree with Park Rangers, etc. - always be polite and not reinforce their attitudes by quoting (what you believe) regulations, etc. I haven't read one thread that said the Park Ranger changed their mind after hearing reasons and let you MD. Anyway - that is my opinion...

gold diggr

Greenie
Jun 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i guess it starts with a little investigative work i mean go to the areas where you want to detect to see if anyone else is there, check out the city website (if they have one) and look under bylaws to see if there is anything there then go to where you want to detect and just keep quiet about it. You just might get away with it. I am in an Ontario city and nothing is ever said. I am new at detecting and i went to a city run trailer park where there used to be a french fry truck and found my first coin collection. I am going back there but i am not going to ask if i can. I think the less said the better.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess it starts with a little investigative work i mean go to the areas where you want to detect to see if anyone else is there, check out the city website (if they have one) and look under bylaws to see if there is anything there then go to where you want to detect and just keep quiet about it. You just might get away with it. I am in an Ontario city and nothing is ever said. I am new at detecting and i went to a city run trailer park where there used to be a french fry truck and found my first coin collection. I am going back there but i am not going to ask if i can. I think the less said the better.

Yes, your EXACTLY right! If you run to county/ city hall asking about laws, if there aren't any there may be very shortly! Most people picture us digging gigantic holes, tearing up all the grass/plants, etc. Just keep to yourself and ease around quietly, take all trash out (within reason), leave no trace of holes or any sign that you've even been there. HH

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you take a pull tab you found "lose it" and tell her you lost something very near and dear to you lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread