Finally Upgrading - Need that TNet advice!

dgree

Greenie
Jun 16, 2012
Marathon, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after a good long two years of detecting with my BountyHunter Tracker II That I found in an attic, the machine has finally died. I was out at a local park in the shallow water (ankle high) as I usually do, sifting out pennies and the like when it started beeping like crazy. I didn't recognize why and held it up the the sky, restarted the device and tried to use it again with the same result. Pointed out into the void of sky, it doesn't quit beeping, in every mode, sensitivity off..

I let the machine be for a few days when I noticed water seeping from the supposedly waterproof coil cover (black plastic disk) - I suppose that was the culprit. Two years of bumping against rocks, getting caked in mud and even dropping it several times finally did the old girl in. Have to say that for an $80 machine, she more paid for herself several times over.

Anywhoo - I'm using my little brothers ACE 250 until I invest in a new detector. No offense to those that love the 250, this machine drive me NUTS. The pinpointing, the bell sounding, everything about this machine rubs me the wrong way...

So, Tnet, I've narrowed my search down to two detectors: Fisher F5 with DD Coil OR Minelab X-Terra 505 stock

I'd like to know the opinions of those that have used either machine and what they think is best for what I do. I like to hunt old homes here in Central NY and I like to tread through the woods looking for cellar holes. SO, mainly coin shooting and light relic hunting.

Anything, good and bad, would be helpful as this summer has just begun and I want to have the best season detecting yet!

THANKS!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgree - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello dgree,
Why those two machines, they are both good but why? What sort of detecting but it obviously includes "being in Water"?

You might also want to post this in the "brands" section so you have two groups of folks looking at your request.

Then, thank you for putting up this post with your story as to why the change to a different machine! Know I know why I "always" put a coil cover on my coils!! Whatever machine you purchase I would suggest you add a coil cover to your purchase, could be a life saver.

The best of success with your new purchase and I suspect you will wonder why you did not do it sooner, even though the "old girl" did pay for herself several times over!........................63bkpkr

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both machines. They are both good, but I'd lean towards the F5. It's highly adjustable, has a nice size number display, and the 10" elliptical is a coin killer. The 505 does have the advantage of changing frequencies with different coils, but in my use both had about the same depth.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have limited funds you might also look into the TESEROS, they are very good mid priced machines with lifetime warranty. The Tejon gets high marks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread