scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all seriousness no one should post how his detector compares to someone elses. Everyone should post about what they find or ask questions on functionality of their detector. The most anyone should say when someone asks about what to buy when getting started is tell them do research and go with their gut because if you don't go with your gut you will forever question yourself about your decision you made to buy something else.

Everyone wants to think what they have is better than someone elses detector.

I know two guys with high end detectors and over 30 yrs experience detecting. One guy has a CTX3030, Etrac, V3i and is buying the new Garrett ATX. He says all detectors are good it's idiots that don't know how to use them.

I asked him about what I should buy next and he said only buy what you want and then learn to use it. If you know the features you want then buy it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
In all seriousness no one should post how his detector compares to someone elses. Everyone should post about what they find or ask questions on functionality of their detector. The most anyone should say when someone asks about what to buy when getting started is tell them do research and go with their gut because if you don't go with your gut you will forever question yourself about your decision you made to buy something else.

Everyone wants to think what they have is better than someone elses detector.

I know two guys with high end detectors and over 30 yrs experience detecting. One guy has a CTX3030, Etrac, V3i and is buying the new Garrett ATX. He says all detectors are good it's idiots that don't know how to use them.

I asked him about what I should buy next and he said only buy what you want and then learn to use it. If you know the features you want then buy it.
.....Your right on there .. For Crackbadger has top line detectors and less costly detectors .... And he will find more Gold on a salt water beaches with a ...Ace 250 ... than most would find with there so called top of the line detectors....... And your right most detectors will find the same things at the same depth ... It is not the detector that is not good ...IT is the one operating the detector........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to see what a person that knows his detectors can do with a Ace250 on salt water beaches ..... Go to you tube and type in ... crackbadger ......

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to see what a person that knows his detectors can do with a Ace250 on salt water beaches ..... Go to you tube and type in ... crackbadger ......

I haven't watched the video and probably won't because of the fact that you can't believe everything you see in a video. How many pull tabs did he edit out for instance. I have a 25 year old tesero that if you put it in all metal is a very good ring finder, but you will dig 1000 tabs for every ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread