scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have all those great detectors and your making your mom use an Ace 250?...I just pegged the sarcasm meter.
Yes!
If she can't figure out an Ace 250, there is no way in hell I'd introduce her to GB, threshold, freq offset, AM disc Mixed audio, Rx Disc Am sense, 191 disc settings, Ground Probe, filters etc etc.
I have a Tesoro Compadre on the way however!

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Ha,
This is a perfect example of people submitting opinions and reviews on detectors who don't know anything about them. I can honestly say my ACE could have easily bought and payed for at least 30 of your machines, and that's no exaggeration. Myself and yes even my ACE 250 were laughing at this post. The guy not knowing how to operate the machine and you not knowing how to operate it, my gosh how could you guys not find everything under the ground. Listen, detectors take practice, no matter what the price tag, they take patience to learn. For those of you saying people found stuff behind you with their better detectors most of the time its USER error, you may have simply swung an inch away from the target zone, the item may be laying on its side or at an angle and you were walking to the left and your partner to the right, its all case by case. I can agree that the depth on the ACE, depending on ground soil and mineral conditions will not go as deep as some of the 1000 dollar detectors, but hey thats why your paying a 1000 dollars for it, for those advantages. The ACE is and will remain in my arsenal of detectors because of the advantages mainly on tot lots, I will wipe the ground with any detector that vs. me on a tot lot with an ACE, and that's just how it is. The ACE is a GREAT entry level machine and works well rounded in most all conditions, cold, hot, beach, whatever. The BOTTOM LINE is this, Dont talk smack about a detector you know nothing about and then compare it to your thousand dollar machine your experienced with, by the way, Id hunt with an ACE any day over your V3i and take you to the bank. Just a friendly challenge.

Crackbadger out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you are experienced with a V3i.? Have you ever used a Tesero? Have you ever used any detector besides the ace 250 and 350? Just curious, I based My opinion on seeing and using many different detectors. The Ace 250 just happened to be the last one that I would ever use again. I would not give you $50 for a new one. Sorry if you don't agree, I was far from impressed.

Look at it this way, a Poulan will cut down a 30 inch tree..... Eventually, but I think I will stick with my Stihl, or maybe my Husky. But definitely not going to use a Poulan ever again. I Dont support detectors unless they impress me. The Ace.. Not impressed. Now the pro pointer, that's worth every penny. So it's not a brand thing.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are experienced with a V3i.? Have you ever used a Tesero? Have you ever used any detector besides the ace 250 and 350? Just curious, I based My opinion on seeing and using many different detectors. The Ace 250 just happened to be the last one that I would ever use again. I would not give you $50 for a new one. Sorry if you don't agree, I was far from impressed.

Look at it this way, a Poulan will cut down a 30 inch tree..... Eventually, but I think I will stick with my Stihl, or maybe my Husky. But definitely not going to use a Poulan ever again. I Dont support detectors unless they impress me. The Ace.. Not impressed. Now the pro pointer, that's worth every penny. So it's not a brand thing.

Yes I have owned a V3i, I used it for a few months, learned it and sold it, it didn't work near as well as the minelab etrac. I have had almost every tesoro made, the tigershark is one of the best underwater freshwater machines i have used. You can see my post on these in several sections and even where I sold them back to the community. You dont know how to use it is the problem with the ACE, not everyone has those dollars they are willing to spend on a detector right out of the gate. This is why its referred to as an entry level machine, no I would not use it on the beach over my EXCAL, CTX or ETRAC but If I had too I know I can clean the beach with it. Its mainly about the user again, no the detector. The detectors mainly give us a false since of im finding everything but in all honestly you can have a million dollar detector and if you dont know how to use it you wont find anything.
Crackbadger

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm a experienced Garrett user for 16 years and the Ace series are toys imo.
I critique all machines I've owned or used and just tell it the way it is unlike treasure magazines who have the company advertising in the same pages.
GTI 2500 is a perfect example. This is the machine I wanted the most for a long time. It is also the biggest disappointment I ever had once I got it.

I use to talk smack about Tesoro's before I even used one. Then I used one, then bought one and found I suffered some seriously foot in mouth disease. :laughing7:

I've learned from that not to be negative on any machine unless you used it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
having owned and used a ACE 250 FOR SOMETIME -- I know its minus and its plus -- good lil machine for 212 bucks but there are much better machines if one is willing to spend a small bit more -- issues that I personally have with the 250 are as follows --seriously limited sorting limits --due to its "12 block" finding system --good items are in the same blocks as "trash" --ie its impossible to sort out "trash from treasure" effectively --so gold rings ands pull tabs all ring up under pull tabs, so unless you want to be a dig it all type -- pull tab collector --your going to miss out of lots of gold
the delta 4000 at $279 has a 0 to 99 numbers type display that can in many cases "sort out trash from treasure" --no all cases mind you as no machine is perfect but for the price it does well -- 56 -58 10 k gold 60 mostly pull tabs -- 64 or so 14 k gold 67 -18k gold having basically 100 number slots vs 12 block slot to sort finds into allows for much finer "sorting" and thus less time wasted trash digging --thus more "productive" time spent hunting.

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using my ACE 250 and have done well with. Sure it is kind of cheesy, but sometimes cheesy is OK. Found 2 gold teeth recently and 2 silver rings.

Vickym84

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help on buying a first time

Can I ask what would you suggest for a beginners MD... My son is only 8 years old and very interested in starting this as a hobby. He's been interested for a while now so thought it's be great to get him 1 for Xmas. Nothing that breaks the bank due to his age but still wanting decent finds and nothing to heavy. I was goin to get the ace 150 or 250 to start him off with but reading some posts on here had kinda out me off.
Hope you can help me as I haven't a clue what would be the ideal 1 to get.
I know he's goin to be interested in this n I'm so glad as I wouldn't
Mind getting into it myself.
Please help!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I ask what would you suggest for a beginners MD... My son is only 8 years old and very interested in starting this as a hobby. He's been interested for a while now so thought it's be great to get him 1 for Xmas. Nothing that breaks the bank due to his age but still wanting decent finds and nothing to heavy. I was goin to get the ace 150 or 250 to start him off with but reading some posts on here had kinda out me off.
Hope you can help me as I haven't a clue what would be the ideal 1 to get.
I know he's goin to be interested in this n I'm so glad as I wouldn't
Mind getting into it myself.
Please help!

Fisher F2. Best entry level detector IMO. Lightweight, easy to learn, sensitivity adjustment, depth meter, multi toned, numerical display. Much more enjoyable to use than the Tesoro Compadre (which I also own) that will be recommended here shortly by others. It's a good machine too but I believe you get better value with the Fisher F2 package (detector, two search coils 8" & 4" plus a pinpointed). Everything you need to get started For $225 shipped to your door!

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
This may be the most idiotic post I've seen on this site. There are so many things you are overlooking and assuming. I've had the ace 250 as well many other brands such as whites and Tesoro. For the price of the 250, it performs above and beyond. OP is ******ed.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be the most idiotic post I've seen on this site. There are so many things you are overlooking and assuming. I've had the ace 250 as well many other brands such as whites and Tesoro. For the price of the 250, it performs above and beyond. OP is ******ed.

Reguardless its the op's opiniĂłn for you to tell him he is $?&%$# thats out of line. We all have opinions theres questions asked questions answered If you dont agree dont post

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Reguardless its the op's opiniĂłn for you to tell him he is $?&%$# thats out of line. We all have opinions theres questions asked questions answered If you dont agree dont post

It's my opinion about HIS opinion. You seem like such a fan of opinions. Well, that's my opinion.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres an opiniĂłn & then theres belittling someone act like an adult

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

.. Let me tell you ... crackbadger .... has found more gold on salt water beaches with his 250 when he had it than most have found with there top end detectors........... So i would never say he had no experience with the 250 or Whites or Minelabs .........Tesoro.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha Ha,
The BOTTOM LINE is this, Dont talk smack about a detector you know nothing about and then compare it to your thousand dollar machine your experienced with, by the way, Id hunt with an ACE any day over your V3i and take you to the bank. Just a friendly challenge.

Crackbadger out!
..... If you are smart you will not challenge..... crackbadger ..... no matter what detector you use ...YOU WILL LOSE ........

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and that's why I use Fisher

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2, Garrett GTAx400, Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy has one of these things and we both hate it. It can't discern a pulltab from a silver dollar. Non-stop 'ding, ding, ding' is enough to make you want to smash the unit against the side of a building. Get a Fisher f2 and do yourself a huge favor. Great unit and very reliable.

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
You can't compare a $400 dollar machine to $1000+ machines I mean come on. Ace 250 was my first machine and it's a damn good piece for the price you pay!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with any brand there are those who cannot stand the ace, in my opinion its a very good entry level machine.
To some they're kinda like that person you know who gets on your darn nerves, like a personality clash.
Whatever brand each one of us choose just take the time to get to know the machine well and sucess will follow.
Most importantly enjoy each and every hunt and band together with your fellow detectorheads because it's us against the lookie loos/nosey nose/busy bodies/and anti detecting law makers. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread