May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO since a friend of mine got me into MDing I've been wanting to MD a vacant house and lot that butts up against my backyard for quite some time now. I haven't as I don't have permission and I'm not about to start outlawing on someone's place. I've lived here going on 14 years and while the lawn is always mowed (somewhat) I've never seen anyone living there or otherwise until this last Sunday, there was an older gent out mowing lawn and I thought I'd saunter over, introduce myself and see if he knew the landowner, turns out he IS the landowner and this is his spare/fixer upper house (needs a lot more fixing IMO). after conversing for awhile I broached the subject of getting permission to hunt his lot and he tells me he owns an old metal detector and has already gone over it and he found some old coins (he wasn't even sure what they were) when he first bought the place :unhappysmiley: So he then starts going on about his recent trip to Colorado and everything else under the sun until after 20 minutes of this I have to go and gently ask again about hunting his lot... Nope he said we'd better wait on that :BangHead: Talk about disappointing!

Oh well maybe he will sell it someday and I can try again with the new owners:laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I too have had people tell me things like "I have a detector and I've already done it here". Or "my son has one of those, and he already did it". Or "someone else already came by and did it", etc.... And in each case, I tell them "I'm willing to be disappointed, and see if they/you missed anything". And most of the time, it's as if no one ever hunted it before. The average newbie with a detector wanders out to his own front yard, finds a few pulltabs, and sticks the thing in the closet from then-on-after.

Oh well, you can't argue with a "no".

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I asked the owner of a local old flea market to metal detect his flea market and he said "Nope, whats in the ground is mine". LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions