Has anybody ever found something they lost as a kid?

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My story isn't actually found by a detector, but I figure a few people have recovered the lost treasures of their youth with one.

In the mid 70's when I was around ten or so my parent's front porch steps which were cement split away from the porch with a nice gap in between the steps and porch. For whatever reason my brother and I put things in the crack. I know a put a Mercury dime in there - not sure why, but my brother probably dared me. I also put my little bicycle license plate with my name on it there. I remember taking a coat hanger and trying to scrape through the crack to get the treasures out the side, but had no luck.

Well 30+ years later my parents were getting a new porch and step, I thought hey I should check. I found the license plate right away and then after a little scraping of the dirt I found the dime.

Anybody else find anything they lost as a youth?

Pete

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, but in a couple of the spots that I hunt, I'm pretty sure that I've recovered a few pulltabs and a bottle cap or two that I cast away as a teenager. :occasion14:

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a small die cast John Deere tractor in my yard that almost certainly was mine. My brother had only Internationals, and I had only John Deeres, so it makes sense.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never found anything I lost but we detected a friend's childhood home and found one of her hair barettes and her beother's toy soldier.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 5 years ago I lost a part to my lawn mower,went out and bought a new part.Back in March of this year (2013),I swing my coil in the front yard and dig down about 4 inches and there's the part.:icon_thumleft:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting topic!

I remember as kids making up small "time capsules" and burying them. I specifically remember where we put one. I know we put coins in them, can't remember what esle. Those would be fun to try to find.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 5 years ago I lost a part to my lawn mower,went out and bought a new part.Back in March of this year (2013),I swing my coil in the front yard and dig down about 4 inches and there's the part.:icon_thumleft:

Cool now you have a back up part.

Only stuff I found in my lawn have been construction scraps or the sprinkler lines.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting topic!

I remember as kids making up small "time capsules" and burying them. I specifically remember where we put one. I know we put coins in them, can't remember what esle. Those would be fun to try to find.

Do you have access to where they are buried? If not, I would consider asking the current owners if you could recover it, just for fun. It would be cool to find it again and I doubt anyone would want a big cut of the "treasure"

Good Luck.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have access to where they are buried? If not, I would consider asking the current owners if you could recover it, just for fun. It would be cool to find it again and I doubt anyone would want a big cut of the "treasure"

Good Luck.

I don't have access, it was in a neighbors yard, in Mich, in the mid 70's. I live in Cincinnati now. I have looked at the area on Google Earth a d it has changed from field-like to wooded. May be hard to find.

phillipsreid

Jun 29, 2013
Branford, Florida
Detector(s) used
Currently, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, I lost a Timex watch in May 1966 while skipping school and swimming in a local farm pond. I found the watch many years later while fishing at the same pond.....and it still worked!!!!

Phillip

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a 1978 matchbox firebird out of the yard where I played as a kid that was my old toy.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I lost a Timex watch in May 1966 while skipping school and swimming in a local farm pond. I found the watch many years later while fishing at the same pond.....and it still worked!!!!

Phillip

Pretty cool recovery.

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Just don't have an elephant step on it.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was throwing my pocket knife at a tree trying to get it to stick when it bounced off and was lost in the tall grass, I looked and looked but couldn't find it. twenty years later I took my detector to the spot and found it in about two minutes, but it was almost rusted to pieces.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son lost a set of keys to the house and shed sled riding behind his school 8 years ago. I found them this spring about 2 inches deep at the bottom of the hill. All the chrome plating was gone but they still work fine.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My son found some of his matchbox cars this spring about 6 inches down. He is only eight but when I change the grade of the land with the tractor, unseen toys tend to get buried deep quickly!

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stopped by my parents house the other day and got a picture of the license plate.

Not bad shape for 30+ years between the steps.

license.jpg

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time we were at my folks I took the AT Pro. I figured I try to find the spot I used to put up a little US Army tent and "camp out" at night. Sure enough I found the spot and a bunch of coins and little items that I lost in the grass. It was kind of cool to have my kids there and excited to find old "Dad stuff". Memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread