Good tools for compacted sand / rock?

Chris Miller

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're out here in SW Texas in the Chihuahuan Desert and the conventional diggers and stuff just aren't working for us. Shovels cannot penetrate the ground and the hand trowels are nearly worthless too. For other digging around here we've had to use a 20lb rock bar and it's not a whole lot of fun and I cant imagine carrying one around all day.

Any thoughts on better tools for digging this sort of ground? How about some sort of sifter too since everything we dig up is loose sand / bentonite.

Appreciate the feedback!

2863.jpg

Upvote 0

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garret has a nice pick they sale, but also check out the retailers on here I saw plenty of prospecting hand picks for around $40.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After lots of research I have ordered a Royal Prospecting Gold and Relic Pick. I like the fact that the Royal pick has flush mounted magnets. Royal has several length handles for their picks and a new one with teeth on one end for breaking up rocks or very hard earth. You might want to give Royal a look are in stock at Gold Rush Trading Post and Amazon.com.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have both extremes. As mentioned, a small rock pick and a strong probe that can be driven into the ground and used as a lever to break up the crust. As for sand, get a beach scoop. Depending on the extent of that kind of hunting, you can go from mild $20 scoops to wild $300 scoops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions