Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've been hunting my old school that was built in 1936, I've found a lot of clad and I found a 1911 V-nickel, so I know there is some old stuff in the ground, problem is my detector is constantly beeping and going crazy and in turn makes hunting a slow and frustrating process.

So how do I quiet down my detector without buying a smaller coil?

First off I have a v3I and I'm using the stock coin and jewelry program, I have tried to ground balance, I've tried to offset the frequency with no change, I even pulled the trigger and lifted the coil off the ground and turned 360° to see if there was electrical interference, which there was none. When I lift my coil the thing beeps until almost waist high (only does this at the school)
So anyone with a v3i care to take a guess as to what else I can try

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130630_003550.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_003550.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20130630_003620.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_003620.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20130630_003652.png
    ForumRunner_20130630_003652.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So I've been hunting my old school that was built in 1936, I've found a lot of clad and I found a 1911 V-nickel, so I know there is some old stuff in the ground, problem is my detector is constantly beeping and going crazy and in turn makes hunting a slow and frustrating process.

So how do I quiet down my detector without buying a smaller coil?

First off I have a v3I and I'm using the stock coin and jewelry program, I have tried to ground balance, I've tried to offset the frequency with no change, I even pulled the trigger and lifted the coil off the ground and turned 360° to see if there was electrical interference, which there was none. When I lift my coil the thing beeps until almost waist high (only does this at the school)
So anyone with a v3i care to take a guess as to what else I can try

Perhaps it's something in the ground there? Or in the air there? (radio tower or something emitting, etc...) So for example, if you were to go across the street from that same school, to sample on another plot of ground, does it do the same thing? How about across town?

Try turning your sens. all the way down. If that quiets it down (no falsing), then slowly start turning the sens. up, to where you just start to get that interference.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats, probly the best advice on this situation ur gonna receive good luck

OP
OP
chip12977

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went there again this morning and noticed that every coin I pulled out had a rust color, but the soil is black, very soft, my digging tool goes in like a hot knife through butter

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, but I hunted and area where an old school was torn down. The playing field is still there. It was the first time I ever went out and found nothing. I use the white's MXT Pro. It was giving me false signals all over the place. There were tons of cans and pull tabs. It was telling me quarters and dimes? I tried everything I could think of. Just could not detect there. Went from there to a park and found a few coins, just clad, but that place has been hunted to death so did not expect to find even that. If you figure this out let me know.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom of CA on his advice. It has to be some kind of EMI field or transmission. Turn sens way down and try to find very shallow items if you can

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread