Checked a coin off the bucket list..

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decided to head out this morning to beat the monsoon that was headed toward western pa. I've been researching a prime spot for some relic hunting for a change. The place appears to be an old hunting cabin, complete with privy.

After a 45 minute drive through a very rural area, i geared up and started swinging my way back to the cabin area, which is only about 100 yards from the road. To my dismay, it appeared some one beat me to it. I found plenty of holes with beer can lids still in them. Cleaned up what i could and decided to hit an adjacent power line clearing.

5 feet into the clearing and up comes a wheatie. OK, i like that, gridded then next 30' feet and got a sweet shallow hit. Thought it was a zincoln until i noticed lincoln was facing the wrong way and wearing a headdress. I did the happy dance when i realized it was a 1900 or 1908 IH!

Finished my hunt and came away with 3 wheats, the IH, a few clad, a 30-40 krag shell (unfired). I might have to dedicate more time to this area! HH and thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jay, I hunt alot of wooded areas where the finds are few, but there most times seems to be good finds when you find an indian cent. That usually "dates" the site and I knuckle down and search these areas hard. Did you notice that IH cents hit a bit into the pulltab range? I missed alot of 'em before I learned that. Anyway, good luck on youe old site!
Paul of Penna

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, probably going to hit it again tomorrow and oddly enough it hit slightly lower than a clad penny. Gave a good high tone for me. Lots if trash, but there's probably a good acre or so for some thorough gridding. Next on my list is a V nickle. LoL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread