Value of finds per hour now vs 40 years ago?

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1972, I kept an accurate record of all my finds and their monetary value.
The first six months with a high quality detector of that period (A.H. Electronics Pro). I averaged
$10.30 an hour in value of finds. In today's dollars that would probably equal about $35.00 per hour.

I had taken a break from detecting for about fifteen years and again started pursuing the hobby this year. The first five months of reentering the hobby, I have kept an accurate record of my hours and the value of my finds. Judging by the average finds, I see posted on "Todays Finds", I think that I am finding about the same amount as others. My finds for this period, a total of three hundred hours equals $1.61 per hour.

A mere pittance of what the value of my finds was back then. Has anyone else kept a record of their finds and value back when they started detecting? Or now?

I am just curious as to how I am comparing with my fellow hobbyist.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom of CA brings up some great points in his post. I started back around when he did with the BFO's and TR's. Things were virgin back then and it was easy to collect near $10 dollars each time you went out. I was younger then and could spring up from the ground. I use to keep records of how much I found and where, how deep and such. Found rings were kept with tags noting where found and such. I remember most of the rings found in parks were only down as low as the roots. Silver was very easy to find as it was so conductive. I used to fill coin books all the time and then I just started putting the coins in Mason Jars as silver when in one jar and wheat's and Indian heads went in others. Then I took up scuba and things haven't been the same since. Now gold rings go in pails without tags as to where found and other info. I found it and it was only the occasional special ring that got a tag. I forget how many gold rings the wife claimed, but she would tell me to go hunting while she cut the grass. When she learned we could sell our gold at refineries she spent the $$$ on shoes and designer clothes. I got to buy the newest detectors and dive equipment for my fun. Boys, it don't get much better than that...:icon_thumleft:

You will hardly see me posting my gold ring finds as I don't need the "Atta Boy". I know an old guy that always shows me this ring he found every time I see him. I let him tell me the story again and again because it makes him happy. I know some of the newbies post finds they say they found and it might be borrowed from the ole lady or Auntie, but they feel the need to be accepted as a great hunter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions