Detecting a historically significant place

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without going into too much detail, this weekend i may be able to detect at the birthplace "home" of a certain president. I'm close friends with a buddy that's job has perks in location knowledge for lack of a better term. It's in a relatively small town and he's related to anyone that might object (law, rangers etc) . I'm going to be there for prior obligations and I figured it would be a good opportunity so I put the feelers out and he's pumped.

That being said,,, I haven't had a chance to buy my at pro and all I have is my tesoro silver and pro pointer. Anyone using this setup have luck with old coins. Let's just say 1800s. I want to know of the oldest coins found by tesoro silver users

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Too much detail after the first six words. I wonder why you put " " thingies around "home". Don't get caught in there without permission. Everybody that uses any machine sooner or later has luck with old coins. Good luck to you!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When I was younger, I was raised in St. Augustine, FL which is mecca for history buffs.
I used to detect places that these days would probably result in the SWAT van arriving. I'd hop on my bike with my black spraypainted and 'jungle waterproofed' (rubber cement and electrical tape :D ) Whites Coinmaster and detect all manner of historical sites that are now off limits via criminal penalty... and I'd find stuff.

Things are different now.
I don't know what the full backstory is- and sure as **** stinks, TomInCA will be along to give you terrible advice about ignoring the context clues and doing whatever you want- but your vague implications suggest you're doing this in the sunshne. If this is a registered historical site, I'd tread lightly, or at least be aware of the fact that in doing what you're doing, you may be breaking the law and there can be a consequence for that.

A pretty big fallacy is "my uncle's a cop, I'm good to break the law".
Ask any working cop, I guarantee you he's ticketed and arrested all manner of people who squealed about some 'relative' in the department or city hall, sincerely believing it made them a step above the rules that apply to everyone else. The catch here isn't what happens if a cop drives by. It's what happens when a neighbor sees you illegally detecting and starts taking video, then calls the cops. Some people are just naturally suspicious of and hostile towards MD'ing, for whatever reason. At that point, no cop is going to jeapordize his pension to cover for your ass.

Just be sure you're on private property and not illegally excavating a historical site.
You won't find as many friends in the MD'ing community as you might think, if thats your plan.

Last edited:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? You don't know how your Tesoro silver will do?
Taking a detector you've never used before to a historical site is like taking a gun you've never shot into combat.

Conquistador1539

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Metal Detectors

I don't know if the boyhood home of a U.S. President would be considered a national historic site. Certainly you should respect the law for what it's worth. But the opportunity if it presents itself to detect for historical artifacts regardless of who may of lost them then I say go for it. As for the Tesoro Metal Detectors don't underestimate what you can find with a bottom of the line metal detector. Like they say sometimes smaller is better. While detecting in a Florida State Park on Anastasia Island near St. Augustine, Florida along the shoulder of the road back in 1985 it took about an hour of digging, but out pops a piece of Spanish Silver dated 1539 with a Spanish Conquistador's name on it. It operated just as good as the White's Eagle Spectrum I used to dig up 16th Century relics from De Soto's 1541 Discovery of the Mississippi River. (Lost Treasure Magazine April 2003). After twenty years of detecting my thousand dollar investment has since fell apart in a bunch of unworkable pieces, but there's no need to fear, I just got off the phone with Kellyco and bought me another single knob Tesoro in total confidence that it can find treasure worth more than you could ever make in your lifetime one piece alone. Seriously though, I doubt you'll ever find it at some President's Homestead. But the historical relics themselves could be a priceless addition to some Museum somewhere. Though I'd be leery of ever trusting an archaeologist or a state accredited museum again with my finds. That being said, after donating to the State of Florida and the Museum of Florida History an historical artifact worth millions of dollars that they promptly lost somewhere down in the archaeology lab and then proceeded to lie about it's authenticity and are silent about it's exact whereabouts today.

Attachments

• 1539.jpg
    1539.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 286
OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? You don't know how your Tesoro silver will do?
Taking a detector you've never used before to a historical site is like taking a gun you've never shot into combat.

Not everyone's detected for years. I've been out metal detecting a total of 5 times. Since I haven't found any silver I don't have a gage. Thanks for your contribution though. I'm not just going to leave the detector at home because I haven't out 100 hours on it yet

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if the boyhood home of a U.S. President would be considered a national historic site. Certainly you should respect the law for what it's worth. But the opportunity if it presents itself to detect for historical artifacts regardless of who may of lost them then I say go for it. As for the Tesoro Metal Detectors don't underestimate what you can find with a bottom of the line metal detector. Like they say sometimes smaller is better. While detecting in a Florida State Park on Anastasia Island near St. Augustine, Florida along the shoulder of the road back in 1985 it took about an hour of digging, but out pops a piece of Spanish Silver dated 1539 with a Spanish Conquistador's name on it. It operated just as good as the White's Eagle Spectrum I used to dig up 16th Century relics from De Soto's 1541 Discovery of the Mississippi River. (Lost Treasure Magazine April 2003). After twenty years of detecting my thousand dollar investment has since fell apart in a bunch of unworkable pieces, but there's no need to fear, I just got off the phone with Kellyco and bought me another single knob Tesoro in total confidence that it can find treasure worth more than you could ever make in your lifetime one piece alone. Seriously though, I doubt you'll ever find it at some President's Homestead. But the historical relics themselves could be a priceless addition to some Museum somewhere. Though I'd be leery of ever trusting an archaeologist or a state accredited museum again with my finds. That being said, after donating to the State of Florida and the Museum of Florida History an historical artifact worth millions of dollars that they promptly lost somewhere down in the archaeology lab and then proceeded to lie about it's authenticity and are silent about it's exact whereabouts today.

Those are the kind of stories that made me really want to detect. Thanks for sharing! Screw authority In that regard for taking advantage of you

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not everyone's detected for years. I've been out metal detecting a total of 5 times. Since I haven't found any silver I don't have a gage. Thanks for your contribution though. I'm not just going to leave the detector at home because I haven't out 100 hours on it yet

Sorry borntohunt, I was referring to taking the new Garrett AT to the site as opposed to your trusty Tesoro. I presumed you had some time in on the silver. Not many people upgrade so quickly. In that case you will have to make do with what you have. Hopefully you will get more than one opportunity to hunt the site. The silver will do fine. Good luck

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry borntohunt, I was referring to taking the new Garrett AT to the site as opposed to your trusty Tesoro. I presumed you had some time in on the silver. Not many people upgrade so quickly. In that case you will have to make do with what you have. Hopefully you will get more than one opportunity to hunt the site. The silver will do fine. Good luck

No worries. I'm just going off the fact that the times I have been out ( long outings ) I have found wheaties and with garden tests of Benjamin halfs etc. the tesoro seems limited. With my interest in history, the outdoors, and valuables I think it's safe to say this hobby merits more of an investment that three hundred dollars so I want to get a better detector quick.

In regards to the site and what others have mentioned --- it's not a registered site and its a kind of an obscure area that for whatever reason hasn't been messed with. My friend is a realtor and in a rural area he spends a lot of time getting to know all of these really old homesites. ( he's distantly related to this president which he showed through oil paintings he has and online sources so he took a special interest in finding his homesite before the president left the state) I'd probably be able to make multiple visits but I move multiple times in a year for work so who knows how far away ill end up

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
While detecting in a Florida State Park on Anastasia Island near St. Augustine, Florida along the shoulder of the road back in 1985 it took about an hour of digging, but out pops a piece of Spanish Silver dated 1539 with a Spanish Conquistador's name on it.

What do you mean "a Conquistadors name on it?
I've never heard of 'conquistador coinage' but would be thrilled to learn more. Also, that must've been one helluva machine if it took you an hour to dig a coin in Anastasia State Park.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Take your detecter and have fun. Use this chance to learn your machine. Good luck an GOD BLESS

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Borntohunt460, if you have the legal authority to hunt that property take advantage of it. You mentioned you have the possibility of going several times so bring all your equipment and learn it. Get in as much hunting between visits to this property so you find more and more each time. Best of luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread