Question about MXT on the beach

Wheezy

Dec 21, 2006
Jacksonville Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Prizm V
Well, once again I need some advice from the experts! I've gotten pretty used to my MXT at the parks and in the yard but... Now it's time to take it to the beach. I've read the manual, and watched the video. I understand about the "salt" setting. But I've got to ask. Do I stay up on the dry sandy areas. Or can I go and get the coil, (4x6 dd) wet? I know the box is not water proof and will do my best to keep it dry. I'm just wondering if it's OK to wonder on down to the waters edge and maybe a couple of feet in to it or as I asked, just stay up on the dry sand. As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Wheezy 8)

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Salt setting is mainly for the wet sand and water where the detector would act up. You should be able to hunt the dry sand in reg. mode and stay in dry. Moving to wet sand, you may need to go into salt mode.

You can get the coil wet. However there is more to it than keeping the "box" covered from spray. Never raise the coil higher than the controls or water in the shaft could travel up the stem and fry the guts.

OP
OP
Wheezy

Wheezy

Dec 21, 2006
Jacksonville Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Prizm V
Sandman,
Thank you for the information. And especially for the tip on keeping the coil below the control box. I do have a habit of lifting it up once in a while and I can see where this would be a problem with the water. And I guaranty you that I would NOT have thought of this and would be regretting going to the beach afterwards. Me thinks you just saved my detector.
Alrighty then, its off to the beach this weekend. That is if these mid 50'ish temperatures hold out. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread