Gold necklace on ATPro

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there any reason a large gold necklace will hardly register on my Pro? (Bench testing) I am in pro mode with no disc and I even modify my sensitivity. The funny part is that the necklace only registers if its really close to the coil. All other gold such as rings hit great. It doesn't seem to be my detector only because my friend's AT Pro is doing the same thing. My Ace 350 seems to hit on the necklace more. Its just weird. Any clues?

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ran and swung mine over a gold chain in the house. Lots of interference inside. Put it on the floor and it hit solid 86 in all the chatter. I hunt pro mode with iron around 40 and sensitivity half way. Something is not right you should get a good high hit in my opinion.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The strength of the signal will depend on the size of the largest link (or pendant) in the chain. The detector only reads and individual link, not the necklace as a whole. Most detectors have a hard time reading small linked necklaces......sometime they won't pick them up at all regardless of your settings. It generally helps to use a small coil and a detector that uses a higher frequency....like gold nugget machines.

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The small link hit makes sense to a degree but I thought that the thousands of links together would create a larger than usual piece the coil would "see". I have the DD coil. I will try to attach a pic of the necklace and hopefully the links show up. It is prob 1/4" wide and 18" long. I get only chatter and nothing strong. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130831_080637.png
    ForumRunner_20130831_080637.png
    136 KB · Views: 122
  • ForumRunner_20130831_080749.png
    ForumRunner_20130831_080749.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 107

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
tuscon dan, Mark is right when he says that chains are problematic for all detectors, because the detectors try to see the inidividual links, not the aggregate of all the gold together. And oddly, this remains true even if you "scrunch" them together real tight. You practically have to melt it together, for the detector to see it as one object.

I'm trying to tell from your pix, but .......... is that teensy micro-links that for a sort of chain-mail ribbon? I suppose so, lest if that were "solid" gold, then it would be more like a bangle bracelet, and have no flex. So even though the links there are hard to discern as "separate", yet ....under magnification, it is indeed thousands of individual links there, right? Then if so, welcome to the harsh cruel reality of chains. Although you say in your OP that the necklace is "large", yet the links themselves are not. Contrast to a "large" gold chain that resembles a dog collar, then the individual links might be as big as the type pictured in these two links. These would have big enough individual links to give signals easier.

But the type of chain (ribbon with thousands of micro-links) that you have, would almost take a nugget detector or beach pulse to hear.

gold chains - Google Search

gold chain - Google Search

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, links that small (like the ones in your photo) are treated like mineralized soil by the detector. They get ground balanced out.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is right about the chains links being too small to detect but that clasp is big enough to easily be detected by the AT pro. You say it is 1/4 inch wide...it should pick that clasp up at several inches.

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is perfectly normal. That's why when water hunting with the AT Pro you'll want to dig those scratchy signals if you wanna find chains...

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone is right about the chains links being too small to detect but that clasp is big enough to easily be detected by the AT pro. You say it is 1/4 inch wide...it should pick that clasp up at several inches.

That's the weird part. My Pro and my neighbors brand new pro had problems seeing any part of the necklace. I agree with yiu about the clasp. My 350 indicated on the necklace better than the Pro did.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is perfectly normal. That's why when water hunting with the AT Pro you'll want to dig those scratchy signals if you wanna find chains...
If you plan on digging all scratchy sounds with an AT Pro at our beaches here, you'll be hunting all day in a 20ft square area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread