63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO it is likely going Low and Slow with the coil as well as coming at the ground from different angles. This is all time consuming work and it usually helps if the ground is wet then again having a test garden to improve ones skills is also helpful. I've owned my detectors for years and I still need to practice!! Go Getum m bryan of East Texas but, east of what part of Texas, lol...........................63bkpkr

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still finding silver at pounded out sites, but I'm digging some pretty nasty signals to find it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machines help and slow down. I carry a tesoro in my truck in case I want to test an area. I go back with the at pro and find things then clean up with the f-75 from Fisher. If I missed it it is because I did not swing over it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been seeing a lot of silver finds recently on here that's coming from sites that have been worked out,,,,Better machines? Better knowledge? Whats the difference?
I think it mostly better machines but I have to agree that ground conditions constantly change from hunt to hunt which will effect signal strength and target I.D.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, it's not the new machines. I'm still finding old silver in the same parks with the same machine I've been using since the mid 90's.
In fact, I just went to an old park last week and found silver.
I noticed that the park was getting more quieter and therefore dug the signals that no one wanted to dig.
One such signal was iffy and after I removed two bottle caps, there was a nice faint "zing" signal underneath, which turned out to be a 1903 dime at around 8 inches deep. I also found several old coppers that actually discriminated out.
Because it's the wrong time of year for relic hunting and I had nothing better to do, I continued to dig all the faint discriminating signals and came home with a handful of old rings, brooches, pins, buttons, and other old knick-knacks.
There were even plugs everywhere from some new reality show treasure hunter wannabee.
Sure, you could buy a whole arsenal of detectors to give you "The edge" or you can just change your mindset and take a risk and dig more iffy signals.
Better yet, quit going to the same old parks that everyone and their dog goes to (and has gone to for 50 years) and try getting permission to hunt a virgin site.
You don't dig, you don't get.
Cheers,
Dave.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're missing the OP's point. He wants to know why there is a surge in silver finds from seemingly worked out parks. You're still finding silver and are digging sketchy sounds to get them....fine....we all do that. The interesting part is that when an experienced detectorist gets a new machine and hits his favorite old park, he suddenly finds stuff he's missed in quantities greater that if he just used his old machine. Same park, same experience, same targets, same conditions. The only thing different is the machine. You add another inch or two in depth, a quicker processor, and slightly better target I.D. to some parks and that can make a world of difference.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lufkin area....63bkpkr

Cutaplug

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A high end machine + highly experienced user + correct coil, settings, and sweep speed for the site is the combo that = success.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
A high end machine + highly experienced user + correct coil, settings, and sweep speed for the site is the combo that = success.

I agree except for the high end machine part.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting 30 years and in the beginning me and my friends only wanted the easy ones. Silver coins were so prevalent, and since we had no notch disc. on old machines we only dug to the right of pennies, heck with the iffy junk! One of my last silvers with my old detector was a 1901 barber dime from the most hunted out park here, and it was only two inches deep directly under a pull tab. Any machine of any brand and price range could have found it! But would most detectorists have dug up a broken jumping signal like that? ...(I'm old and spoiled, I still don't like diggin' "iffies").

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread