$500- $750 detector

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, As some of you may know, I have begun to look at an upgrade to my beloved Fisher F2 (although I will likely not purchase one for the next several months or so, I just want to start narrowing down the field). I realize that most I you are probably bored to death by these questions, so I apologize in advance, but I have one question for you. What do you think is the bet metal detector for old deep coins (8+ inches would be awesome!). I know this is very broad and that I'll get a million different answers, but I just want to know how you guys feel about it, when replying, keep in mind:

-My budget haha
- I can buy a USED detector as well
-I am hunting coins and jewelry, not relics
-I do not do a lot of water hunting
-I do not NEED a screen, I are about performance
-my soil (I believe) I pretty mild
-please tell me why you support that machine

Extra information:
I'm mostly looking into the AT Pro, a used F75, A tek. 8000, or a Whites MXT.

Thank you all in advance!
C4C

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the Explorer does not excel with small gold,in this price range you will not do better for silver coins in trashy parks and when I say trashy .I mean NYC level of trash.

And how does the explorer compare to the f75 on deep coins?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how does the explorer compare to the f75 on deep coins?
I don't have a f75 but I do have a t2se almost the same and a explorer. I really like the t2 but the explorer does way better on deep silver coins. The t2 will see them but explorer has way better ID on deeper targets. You can find one in your price range easily, more than likely with a sunray probe already on it.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume that you were joking haha!

But you can never be sure when your reading online :)

Yep I was! Think it over though!

There are a lot of great machines in that price range. You will get several different opinions because people buy a certain detector and have good luck with it, what's not to like about that detector. The bottom line is to read reviews and more reviews until you find one detector that has consistently good reviews. One bad review is not a deal breaker, there are some idiots out there that never knew what they were buying, anything about detecting, expected to find one coin in every square foot of soil, and never spent enough time on the detector to learn it.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else want to share their opinions?

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this, bought my first MD in February - An ace 250. Nice machine for the $ but I handed it down to my son and bought an AT Pro. It's def a big step up. I love the machine and Garrett is great at customer service. My digger sheath tore, I called and they sent a whole new setup - new digger and new sheath. Everyone is going to have an opinion about every machine out there. I never thought I'd use the waterproof feature but got hooked on water detecting. Man, find a nice stream on a hot summer day and I can MD all day! I like that I can hose it off too. I recently did a trip where it rained. The whole thing was covered in mud. I hosed it down and had it cleaned up in 3 minutes. The overall performance is great. Very sensitive when I have it cranked up or varied to my liking. It came with the big DD coil which gets deep, I also bough the 5x8 DD coil and use it in trashy places. Garrett's made here (USA) which I like too. Most MD's are American made - Minelab's an Australian company and Zues is French. I'd like to try all the different manufacturers someday to compare to Garrett but, given the performance and success that I've had, ill prob be a Garrett user for some time.

Good Luck!
Joe

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice, Joe!